Bad Engine on 2017 Quadrifoglio - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Bad Engine on 2017 Quadrifoglio

No I am not a troll and this is 100% true. I was looking at the Giulia (4 cylinders) and they had a 2017 Quadrifoglio at the dealer with the engine out. I asked whatís happened, the tech said it had a misfire and alfa wanted them to put in a new engine so they can study what was wrong with this engine. He said this was the second one with the issue and the cost for the engine is over $25,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Patko View Post
No I am not a troll and this is 100% true. I was looking at the Giulia (4 cylinders) and they had a 2017 Quadrifoglio at the dealer with the engine out. I asked whatís happened, the tech said it had a misfire and alfa wanted them to put in a new engine so they can study what was wrong with this engine. He said this was the second one with the issue and the cost for the engine is over $25,000.
Why are you posting this same post on multiple boards? Same exact words, cut and paste job. Do you have any proof? Photos? This appears to be false.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017QV View Post
Why are you posting this same post on multiple boards? Same exact words, cut and paste job. Do you have any proof? Photos? This appears to be false.
Yes I copy and pasted my own words and that proves what? Your accusatory questions don’t deserve a response I really don’t care if you believe it or not it won’t change the truth . Just budget probably around $40,000 once your warranty runs out. ��
The six is a Ferrari engine, when it goes bad it’s an expensive bad. Don’t accuse me of lying, you sir lack integrity.
Believe I love posting so much and wanted to bash a brand and car I love and just made this all up, and why the Hell would I do that? It its 100 % true and that is why I posted it.

Last edited by Chris Patko; 11-13-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Happens all the time with all marques.

Does seem drastic to replace the whole engine just because of a miss-fire ... so unnecessarily complex nowadays ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Happens all the time with all marques.

Does seem drastic to replace the whole engine just because of a miss-fire ... so unnecessarily complex nowadays ...
Pete
Thatís was my thoughts and the tech wanted to find out the cause but Alfa wanted the engine. My guess is the success of the launch is more important to Alfa than $25,000. They wanted to take the engines as they are and go through them to solve the problem. I told the tech is sounded more electrical and he said they determine itís mechanical. He said the engines for the 4 cylinder cars around 4-5 K cost and he felt they were very good. He said DIY service would be no problem on the 4. I have no reason to make the stuff up, I love the Giulia and Alfa brand.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 PM

This is pretty common practice across marques. Porsche for example will always recover a faulty transmission or engine to the factory as a complete unit. Dealers are not allowed to break them open if under warranty. Same with BMW and transmissions at least. I’ve had both happen on my cars. No drama. You get a new one.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:18 AM

My apologies to the OP. I should not have called you out. I believe you are telling the truth now.

Multiple board posts with cut and paste can raise suspicion...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017QV View Post
My apologies to the OP. I should not have called you out. I believe you are telling the truth now.

Multiple board posts with cut and paste can raise suspicion...
No problem, I often think negative post are fake. They usually really go after the car in a personal way. I am a BIG fan of the Alfa Romeo. I put my hand on that beautiful cross many times in my 164 steering wheel years ago and absolutely love that emblem.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Maybe had the title of first post been something like "Giulia V6 engine misfire issue and Alfa replaces engine." would have been a better lead into the heart of the matter - just saying!

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 AM

I'm pretty sure Alfa would do more diagnosis than "misfire" before authorizing an engine replacement. For starters the ECU download would inform the factory of a great deal. Then, if there is any mechanical symptom they usually sample the engine oil, taking apart the oil filter if deemed advisable.

Modern engines just do not misfire unless there is a very serious failure. The ECU will be able to diagnose any electrical fault such as a failed spark plug. The main issue would be the cost of repair if done outside a factory environment. At the factory the engine can be salvaged and rebuilt as new after the cause of the failure is known. Power outputs on these engines are higher than on racing engines of a few decades ago. Lots can go wrong during manufacture of the various component parts and defects are rare but usually catastrophic.

Finally, a new factory unit makes perfect sense as it ensures the warranty and emission performance will be as new.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 11-17-2017 at 06:14 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 PM

Misfire is a ridiculous excuse for a new engine, but if it's under warranty... Who cares?

It's also common to get a whole engine instead of diagnosing every possible scenario if the issue is that major. It's faster.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
I dont believe this guy one bit - which dealer? Location? Pictures? too vague..and too direct on the diagnosis, he talked to techs? Where? They let him in the service department and the tech told him the 4cyl is a DIY? I call this total BS - sorry.

1972 Gt Veloce 2000
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi

Aggie57

This is pretty common practice across marques. Porsche for example will always recover a faulty transmission or engine to the factory as a complete unit. Dealers are not allowed to break them open if under warranty. Same with BMW and transmissions at least. I’ve had both happen on my cars. No drama. You get a new one.

Yeah I want to second that. Very common practice.

Dealership warranty repair is starting to go to the aviation model. Tech''s don't break down big assemblies in the field. The defective engine, transmission or whatever is removed and shipped back to the factory and a new one is taken out of the shrink-wrap and installed.

Bye
ARwrench likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
Hi

Aggie57

This is pretty common practice across marques. Porsche for example will always recover a faulty transmission or engine to the factory as a complete unit. Dealers are not allowed to break them open if under warranty. Same with BMW and transmissions at least. Iíve had both happen on my cars. No drama. You get a new one.
Only problem will be when you turn up to an Alfa club concours competition in 50 years time, some smart arse will deduct points because it does not have it's original engine. And yes no matter how well, hard or emotionally you debate the issue that it was replaced by ALFA ROMEO under warranty they will still be jerks.

I've seen this sort of thing discussed on FerrariChat also when I used to frequent there, and of course in the Ferrari world the engine number is as important as the chassis number.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 AM

It's news... why does it have to be vouched for and proven? If it has personal interest, investigate further.. if not, don't trash the source but take it as an anecdote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode