Stelvio QV sets new Nurburgring SUV record - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Stelvio QV sets new Nurburgring SUV record

There's no Stelvio forum section in the Alfa BB, so I thought it would be best to put this news here since both Stelvio and Giulia are closely related.

Original article here: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio Smashes Nurburgring Record For SUVs

Video of the lap here:

The new Nurburgring record (7min 51.7secs) is 8 secs faster than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and is the same time as the BMW m4.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 PM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Sounds like he could use a better set of tires

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Funky wrap

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARwrench View Post
Sounds like he could use a better set of tires
It's a heavy beast ;-)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygtveloce View Post
bfd
+1. Yep totally pointless ... like truck racing.
Quote:
On a more positive note, what's the record for most cases of coke and sacks of kitty litter to be loaded successfully in a 4C ?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
That’s not an SUV. That’s a high roofed hatchback car.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 06:22 AM

Garage
what really is SUV? there is no strick rules for it, most current SUVs are similar to this. But I agree its kinda more hatchback (like are other suvs aswell).

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I'm still not sure about the usefulness of an SUV as compared to the regular sedan, as the sedan probably cost less (lower bling markup), has better handling, probably weighs less, has more room overall, is easier to get into and out of, probably gets better gas mileage, all else being equal.

To me, the station wagon version, as with that version of the 159 based on the sedan, is the most desirable setup. We really liked the 159 wagons we saw overseas, and we also like the Audi wagons we see here in the States.

Just my rant for the day. Off to do a nice drive in the 91S around Puget Sound, with ferry ride back to Seattle, to visit a couple of fav restaurants to eat yummy food and see our friends who own the restaurants.

We will see no Stelvios, and most likely no Giulias either, alas. Just not that many here yet, esp where we are going, although we were shocked that on our drive through eastern Oregon, we came across a new Giulia just south of Athena, Oregon where Veronica lives, out in the wheat field country. Actually shocked, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 09-30-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
And apparently there are some questioning whether it's legitimate:

https://jalopnik.com/alfa-romeos-nur...o-b-1819024762

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Garage
they should be really stupid to lie the time. I think the video isnt actual proof of the lap time, just demonstration. That Bridge to Gantry website is also very suspicous when you remember what he wrote about Giulia Q

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I'm still not sure about the usefulness of an SUV as compared to the regular sedan, as the sedan probably cost less (lower bling markup), has better handling, probably weighs less, has more room overall, is easier to get into and out of, probably gets better gas mileage, all else being equal.
I completely agree with you and yep the station wagon is the ultimate practical car, but a SUV is easier to get in and out of not the other way around. As we get older not all of us find it easy to get into a low car and prefer to just step into a taller vehicle. And not all SUV's require a step ladder climb to get into.

While my wife now appreciates the 156v6, only the 2nd Alfa Romeo she has ever been in (yes the 1750GTV has never been able to take her for a spin as I pulled that apart before we met), and finds it very comfortable and quiet I have no doubt she would prefer the Stelvio as she likes to sit up a little higher. Makes her feel safer around trucks and helps with the site seeing.

BTW the other Alfa I took her for a drive in was a 75v6 ... hates the looks and interior of them so much they are on the banned list
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Like most people here, I don't think much of the Alfa SUV, but the criticism of the lap time video by that website is pretty lame. They switched angles a couple of times and the timer is totally separate from the video, anyway. So the cut from dash cam to side view was not done perfectly, so what.

Looking through the website showed me that it is a pretty opinionated website, which I am not a fan of. I like to read the opinions of people on forums like this, but when it comes to reading more in depth about cars, I want reporting, not opinions.

One example was they called the F1 Honda Motor in the McLaren, poop on a stick. Now I'm not a fan of McLaren but I am an F1 fan, and I do know about the deep struggles they are having with their project. To just call it poop on a stick, especially when not all readers may know all the details of their troubles, is just bad reporting. The F1 websites don't even make statements like that.

My opinion of that website is it's just poop on my screen.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

If recent experience is a guide, the Stelvio will easily outsell the other Alfa flavors. Will I purchase one? No, but if it helps to fund the rest of the , hopefully, expanding Alfa lineup...I hope they sell even more than their normally overly optimistic forecasts.

Like Del, I'd dig a hot rod wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"As we get older not all of us find it easy to get into a low car and prefer to just step into a taller vehicle. And not all SUV's require a step ladder climb to get into"

Hah, maybe I just have short legs, as I find almost all SUV's require at least grabbing onto the steering wheel to pull on to help me get up into the seat, whereas all the Alfa sedans I've owned are just the right height. As Steve says, easy peasy.

The worst one was the big Volkswagen Toureg (IIRC) SUV a friend of mine owned. That was a real pain getting into and out of.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode