8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfourza View Post
This is to follow-up on the problems I previously reported on my Giulia TI:

1. The discolored window trim pieces were replaced under warranty.
2. After about 7 dealer visits (including one tow-in) all the electronic issues seem to have been cleared. I still occasionally get a CEL that the Stop/Start isn't working, but I don't like that feature anyway.
3. On 2 occasions, the left hood latch has spontaneously loosened, setting off the Hood Open CEL and a loud warning beep at speeds over 30 mph. Once recognized, this is easily remedied by pressing the hood down firmly. Has anyone else had this happen? Rest assured, I had not left the hood unlatched!
Don
Don, if the hood latches are not both secure, you will get the auto start/stop disabled warning, so those issues may be related.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
I actually do have a couple of "real" Giulias ('67 GT, 1300 Super), along with several Giuliettas, and agree they don't have these modern problems. But also don't have the modern safety and comfort features that some of us old folks want and increasingly need in a daily driver.
Don
Very true. It's really just a shame that modern cars just can't be made as reliable as older ones are.

But to be fair to the other side of the argument, there's a lot more to them, so more that could potentially go wrong, harder for people to design and make everything work in perfect unison, and frankly who is to know which of today's cars are going to end up with the least problems until a few years down the line when they have been tried and tested?

Although I suppose there's really no excuse for trim discoloration, that has nothing to do with technology. Hope you find a solution to that (and the rest). To be fair I didn't mention my GTV6 which has so many problems it makes up for all the other cars combined, *and* has no knowledge of what safety and driver aids are. But I guess we just love Alfas...

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
This is to follow-up on the problems I previously reported on my Giulia TI:

1. The discolored window trim pieces were replaced under warranty.
2. After about 7 dealer visits (including one tow-in) all the electronic issues seem to have been cleared. I still occasionally get a CEL that the Stop/Start isn't working, but I don't like that feature anyway.
3. On 2 occasions, the left hood latch has spontaneously loosened, setting off the Hood Open CEL and a loud warning beep at speeds over 30 mph. Once recognized, this is easily remedied by pressing the hood down firmly. Has anyone else had this happen? Rest assured, I had not left the hood unlatched!
Don
I had the hood release issue once. I think I accidentally bumped the hood release handle with my foot on the way out of the car.

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'61 Giulietta Spider- Street
'61 Giulietta Spider- Race
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Rich,
The Start/Stop CEL did go off when the hood was not latched, along with the Hood unlatched CEL and beeps! However, Start/stop also goes off by itself sometimes. I'll check the hood next time that happens.
Thanks for the tip.
Don
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Tad, et al,
It's Murphy's Law at work - and the more there is to go wrong, the more that will go wrong!
Don
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My Giulia is having the infotainment software update done today after both the dealer and AR-USA told me repeatedly that my car didn't qualify. Except it did, and only after escalating my complaints to the dealer service manager did it get resolved. The service manager even had to call AR-USA to explain to them why it was covered under the Technical Service Bulletin because they were continuing to deny the update. Kind of a rocky start since I have had my car (I bought pre-owned) for only two weeks.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM

We have an Ď18 Giulia Ti Lusso Q4 (wifeís DD) and I fall more in love with the car every time I get a chance to drive it. Which isnít often.

She hasnít mentioned any issues with the car but I noticed last week when I was giving it a nice hand wash/wax that there was condensation in the right headlight cluster. I hadnít noticed it before and I wasnít using a high pressure washer, so Iím assuming itís a bad seal on the unit. I took pictures of it and Iíll let the dealer know before I bring it in for service. Other than that the car is a joy.

I did get some miles with her when the wife was out of town for a day and a half and I took her out on one of my favorite twisty roads and MAN, can that girl dance. We replaced her BMW 328i GT with the Giulia and my DD is a 435i M Sport, and I think the Alfa is more fun to drive even if itís down almost 70hp on the BMW. Itís by far the most enjoyable sport sedan Iíve driven since the original 3-series came out way back when...
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUNetBill View Post
I did get some miles with her when the wife was out of town for a day and a half and I took her out on one of my favorite twisty roads and MAN, can that girl dance. We replaced her BMW 328i GT with the Giulia and my DD is a 435i M Sport, and I think the Alfa is more fun to drive even if it’s down almost 70hp on the BMW. It’s by far the most enjoyable sport sedan I’ve driven since the original 3-series came out way back when...
Definitely agree on the fun factor. And if you're worried about the missing horsepower (I'm not yet), there is at least one tuner out there that claims to have demonstrated an 84hp increase (to 364hp) via an aftermarket intake and an ECU flash.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Definitely agree on the fun factor. And if you're worried about the missing horsepower (I'm not yet), there is at least one tuner out there that claims to have demonstrated an 84hp increase (to 364hp) via an aftermarket intake and an ECU flash.
Thanks for the info - yeah, Iím not worried about the HP issue...yet.

If I wanted cheap HP Iíd have bought an SS Camaro or a Mustang GT or something...I like the balanced feel of the Alfa (although Iíd like a performance exhaust but since itís the wifeís car that probably wonít happen). No, Iím good finding some twisties, opening up the windows & sunroof, clicking DNA to ĎDí and playing Mille Miglia here in SC. Iíll draw the line at cranking out the Pavarotti while Iím driving, though.
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Since you can never have too much HP one should concentrate on other virtues.

I first require that my road cars to brake well, steer accurately and handle well. The last consideration is engine power because as I say you cannot have too much power.

Of all the virtues a car possesses engine power is the only one that cannot be fully utilized on the road.

Tracking a seriously underpowered car (I.e. just about any road car) can be tremendous entertainment as you manage your brake and tire temperatures. Power application can easily mask less than expert driving. Inaccurate steering, braking or cornering skills cannot be hidden, especially from the car.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Garage
We've got an Isetta in our collection... BMW 300 ... I've always jokingly referred to it as "the original 3 series"

Nice to see somebody else making parallels here. I've got to admit that I've always thought that of all the cars I've driven, the most similar from a driving feel point of view, are the GT junior and the E36. It's tempting to say otherwise because of the brand and visual similarity of the interior - but no, the beemer does feel closer to the junior than the GTV6 in terms of driving. That's probably a big complement to the Alfa considering the BMW is 25 years newer!

Also very fun to drive is the Lomax. Kind of thing where you have such a big smile on your face that you really don't care how much (or little) horsepower it has. Fiberglass Morgan-style kit car with tiny little aero screens, Citroen 2CV engine and mechanics... But it sounds awesome, sits really low down and will do 150km/h on the straight - not bad for 600cc/29hp! I know this is probably heresy on an Alfa forum, but I might have to grudgingly admit that it gives me a wider grin while driving than the Alfas do :s I'll be diplomatic and say 'oh yes, but we're talking about sports sedans...'

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 AM

None

1 year, 16,000+ miles - town, track, and highway - on the Giulia Ti with performance pack, lsd, etc. No problems, nothing to complain about, only back to dealer for routine service and software update. Only issue has been a flat tire due to taking a nail. Love it.
sloboy89 likes this.
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

I picked up one of the base model 17" wheels and slapped a standard sized tire on it...now I have a spare and I don't worry about nails. As soon as I use up the run flats I'll put some decent rubber on those wheels.
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 PM

About 15k miles on my giulia since nov. a few minor issues, all dealt with quickly by the dealer. Only thing they couldn’t fix so far is the hvac system. It Won’t hold temp very well, and seems to constantly blow cold air or over correct with hot air.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Are you saying that the Alfa system doesn't work in the same way as other European cars equipped with similar systems? Alfa has used the Valeo system on the 164 and it does operate differently to the identical system on the SAAB 9000.

Each car maker can tweak their Valeo software if they wish.

If the system truly cannot reach and maintain a constant cabin temperature within 10-15 minutes then it is probably the cabin air sensor that is not reading correctly. There is also a possibility that the air mixing temperature sensor isn't working correctly.

Most likely is your perception of the air temperature is inaccurate. The human body isn't well set up to determine temperature but is quite good at sensing change. You may be sensing normal operation of the system. In my experience women seem to find these systems most annoying, well one woman in particular, and they constantly change the set temperature which causes the system to respond rapidly by increasing or decreasing air temperature entering the cabin to achieve the requested change quickly. This results in sensation of too hot and too cold depending on which direction the change has been requested.

Working correctly, set at 20-22 C (70-74F approx) the incoming air should feel cool as your skin is at 37C (98F?? I am in Canada and no longer use the F scale except in winter, what's 37 x 9/5 +32? I do know that minus 40 is f'ing cold using either scale!). The hottest air you will get should be around 35C I should think, never measured it, and the coolest air the AC could deliver is around 5C is it, which is very cold and I don't think these automatic systems deliver such cold air even when set to LO. The set temperature range is 18-32C (68-92F). These temperatures

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-04-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode