Giulia problems - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Just read the opinion piece on the base Giulia in the newest CR. While they said it was "kicky" to drive, they were not impressed with the car overall. One thing, I think they did not understand the engine stop and restart when the car is stopped, saying that the car seemed to "stumble at low speeds" before it gets going. Didn't know you could turn it off. The rest of the complaints sounded like just nitpicky personal bias against the make of car, not the individual product. Seemed to think it was supposed to be quiet and luxurious inside I guess. Not meant to be an Audi, lol.

Certainly, when I drove the car, the only complaints I had were the lack of a manual, and of course the stop/restart system. The rest was satisfactory, as modern cars go.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 AM

The plague of the modern age is "best" is equated with "most popular".

CR is aimed at buyers who want their cars to get them there and back without repair costs.

I'm not sure why CR doesn't just recommend that everybody buy a Camry.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Exactly. If it functioned like a refrigerator or washing machine, they would be very happy, lol.

I've never trusted their car review for decades, they sometimes getting basic things wrong. Plus, their owner comments surveys are not that accurate because they are not true surveys but just owner submitted comments. They of course disagree.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 09-29-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

..then the loaner Giulia broke!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfourza View Post
My Giulia TI is now 6 months old, with 5,000 miles, and I've had about 7 mostly electronic problems, all but the most recent having been resolved by dealer-applied software up-dates. The most recent glitch occurred after the 5,000 mile service, at which several additional updates had been applied:

After driving for about 2 hours, the A/C stopped cooling. This resolved after stopping, then restarting the engine. However, upon restarting, the "Stop/start" warning symbol appeared, although the Stop/Start was still functioning. This warning also disappeared after restarting the engine. All was well until the following day, when again after driving for a couple of hours, this sequence repeated, again resolving after restarting the engine. I haven't driven that long since, so I don't know if this is a continuing problem. I assume it's yet another software problem that will be addressed by another update.

Of more concern is discoloration of the previously-black trim strip surrounding the side windows, which looks like the oxidation one used to see on cars exposed to the US southern sun (see attached photos). The dealer service rep agrees that it's oxidation, and says that it should "rub out." Indeed it does "rub out," but requires quite a bit of scrubbing, then returns. It's quite ugly on an otherwise beautiful MonteCarlo blue car. It's bad enough to justify replacing the trim.

Has anyone else had either of these electronic or trim discoloration problems?

I will say that the car is a delight to drive, but uncertainty about electronic problems makes me anxious about taking long trips.

I've heard that software updates are coming to allow disabling the Stop/Start feature and reducing the volume of the seat-belt warning bong, 2 features I find annoying - has anyone else heard of these?

Don

Follow-up to the above. While my Giulia was in the shop having the trim replaced, the Giulia loaner went on the fritz and had to be towed back to the dealer! It was presumably the same engine management problem I had with my Giulia about 5 months ago: misfiring and barely running, with CEL and "service engine" message. The problem with my car was quickly resolved with a software refresh.
After cursing Alfa and the dealer for 2 weeks, and even contemplating getting a buy-back, I did get my Giulia back yesterday, and fell in love all over again. What a great driving, responsive, comfortable vehicle. What else in that price range could replace it? They couldn't replicate the intermittent A/C failure, so that's still an annoyance. Anyone else have a similar problem with the A/C?
Don
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Giulia problems

Quote:
Follow-up to the above. While my Giulia was in the shop having the trim replaced, the Giulia loaner went on the fritz and had to be towed back to the dealer! It was presumably the same engine management problem I had with my Giulia about 5 months ago: misfiring and barely running, with CEL and "service engine" message. The problem with my car was quickly resolved with a software refresh.

After cursing Alfa and the dealer for 2 weeks, and even contemplating getting a buy-back, I did get my Giulia back yesterday, and fell in love all over again. What a great driving, responsive, comfortable vehicle. What else in that price range could replace it? They couldn't replicate the intermittent A/C failure, so that's still an annoyance. Anyone else have a similar problem with the A/C?

Don

Now mine 200hp gasoline giulia with 18000 miles is in the workshop. The turbo coolant circuit was empty. They neet to replace a plug in the exhaust/turbo manifold...
There is no warning light for coolant level. Recognised when the check engine light went on
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

RRT 17-068

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtild View Post
Now mine 200hp gasoline giulia with 18000 miles is in the workshop. The turbo coolant circuit was empty. They neet to replace a plug in the exhaust/turbo manifold...
There is no warning light for coolant level. Recognised when the check engine light went on
Mechtild:
There is a factory service item to replace the turbo cooler return tube O-ring: RRT 17-068. This was done on my Giulia at the 5k service. Had this been done on your car?
Don
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Mechtild:
There is a factory service item to replace the turbo cooler return tube O-ring: RRT 17-068. This was done on my Giulia at the 5k service. Had this been done on your car?
Don
Had the 6118 recall. Currently no actions open on my car

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 PM

It was a metal water plug behind the turbo that leaked. Now it is exchanged.
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 AM

The next time I want to buy a toaster I'll consult CR.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 AM

My 2.0 T4 giulia now is shuttering when cold for the first 500m then drives well again. Should be solved with a software update says the workshop.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:09 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
One thing, I think they did not understand the engine stop and restart when the car is stopped, saying that the car seemed to "stumble at low speeds" before it gets going.
I'm not sure if the engine stop feature is something that is mandated by the feds. I know a lot of the newer European cars have this feature. It's obvious it's done to reduce emissions while at traffic lights, etc. And, the clowns that did the review should know this.

My new car has that feature. If I keep my foot light on the brake pedal, the engine will idle. If I apply a bit of pressure to the brake pedal, the engine will stop. When it's time to move, I let my foot off the pedal and wait for the engine to start before hitting the accelerator. People just need to learn something new where this is concerned. It's fairly easy to master this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I'm not sure if the engine stop feature is something that is mandated by the feds. I know a lot of the newer European cars have this feature. It's obvious it's done to reduce emissions while at traffic lights, etc. And, the clowns that did the review should know this.

My new car has that feature. If I keep my foot light on the brake pedal, the engine will idle. If I apply a bit of pressure to the brake pedal, the engine will stop. When it's time to move, I let my foot off the pedal and wait for the engine to start before hitting the accelerator. People just need to learn something new where this is concerned. It's fairly easy to master this.
I went for a passenger ride recently in a Mazda 7 (?) and it had this. No big deal and a good idea IMO. I wish the 156v6 had this ... yesterday I wanted to get to a particular shop and to do this I had to cross a busy road. 3 traffic light sequences and I just got over after watching the fuel gauge (already under 1/4) plunge towards empty ... yes it sounds lovely when it's idling but an expensive way to make a nice noise, and sounds so much better at 5000rpm
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

This is to follow-up on the problems I previously reported on my Giulia TI:

1. The discolored window trim pieces were replaced under warranty.
2. After about 7 dealer visits (including one tow-in) all the electronic issues seem to have been cleared. I still occasionally get a CEL that the Stop/Start isn't working, but I don't like that feature anyway.
3. On 2 occasions, the left hood latch has spontaneously loosened, setting off the Hood Open CEL and a loud warning beep at speeds over 30 mph. Once recognized, this is easily remedied by pressing the hood down firmly. Has anyone else had this happen? Rest assured, I had not left the hood unlatched!
Don
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Garage
Apologies, I know my response is completely unhelpful... But being overly electronic and full of 'things to go wrong' is the reason my household refuses to own any car under 20 years old... Can you really imagine all these modern day cars still going reliably in 25 years time? Our 1995 Audi has done 600,000 km still on original engine, gearbox and clutch with only oil changes and standard service items changed. Our Citroen van has done 400k, Mercedes, BMW and Golf all around 250-300k, all 1990s, also all original... Somehow I just can't imagine modern cars lasting that long without serious software issues that most owners will have no idea how - or no possibility to - fix and garages charging more than it's worth to make you consider buying the newer model instead of fixing the old one. Not that garages are always competent at fixing modern cars either, going by what I hear friends and colleagues complaining about. Pay them a few thousand and the car still doesn't work when they're done with it kind of thing.

Yeah, I know... Shame you can't mix the styling and performance you want with the bulletproof never-goes-wrong reliability of an old school diesel tractor, eh?

Having said that, my good old GT Junior has never, ever let me down... Go get yourself a real Giulia haha =D

Lol sorry, rant over...

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeatgodzilla View Post
Apologies, I know my response is completely unhelpful... But being overly electronic and full of 'things to go wrong' is the reason my household refuses to own any car under 20 years old... Can you really imagine all these modern day cars still going reliably in 25 years time? Our 1995 Audi has done 600,000 km still on original engine, gearbox and clutch with only oil changes and standard service items changed. Our Citroen van has done 400k, Mercedes, BMW and Golf all around 250-300k, all 1990s, also all original... Somehow I just can't imagine modern cars lasting that long without serious software issues that most owners will have no idea how - or no possibility to - fix and garages charging more than it's worth to make you consider buying the newer model instead of fixing the old one. Not that garages are always competent at fixing modern cars either, going by what I hear friends and colleagues complaining about. Pay them a few thousand and the car still doesn't work when they're done with it kind of thing.

Yeah, I know... Shame you can't mix the styling and performance you want with the bulletproof never-goes-wrong reliability of an old school diesel tractor, eh?

Having said that, my good old GT Junior has never, ever let me down... Go get yourself a real Giulia haha =D

Lol sorry, rant over...
I actually do have a couple of "real" Giulias ('67 GT, 1300 Super), along with several Giuliettas, and agree they don't have these modern problems. But also don't have the modern safety and comfort features that some of us old folks want and increasingly need in a daily driver.
Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode