Centerline Corsa Cat-Back Giulia Exhaust by Magnaflow - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeCab
  • 2 Post By JoeCab
  • 1 Post By Biscione
  • 1 Post By ciao55
  • 1 Post By JoeCab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Centerline Corsa Cat-Back Giulia Exhaust by Magnaflow

We are proud to announce our new Corsa cat-back exhaust system for the Giulia and Giulia Ti models (including Q4 AWD models). We have been developing and testing this system with Magnaflow for a number of months. This exhaust will be available exclusively through Centerline.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/corsa-exhaust-giulia

Video Link:

In my opinion, this system is what these cars should have been delivered with! To that end, we have gone to great lengths to ensure an OEM level of fit and finish. The OEM exhaust is very quiet, but also has a number of "awkward" bends and kinks. The Corsa system gives a deep, throaty exhaust note, yet is smooth and quiet while cruising. It is a full 3" diameter mandrel-bent system that is designed to be free flowing, working great on 100% stock vehicles yet having enough flow to accommodate highly modified vehicles as well.

Please note: we followed the naming convention we use on our 4C exhaust and called this the "Corsa" system because it does not have a rear resonator. However, it is not anywhere near as loud or raw as the 4C Corsa system. Everyone has different tastes in exhaust, but we feel this system is perfect for anyone who wants a nice, sporty sounding exhaust - whether it is on a daily driver or weekend toy.

We are taking pre-orders for this system at $995.00 including free shipping in the continental USA. This is $200 less than list price. This is a pre-order only, we are not asking for pre-payment and you will not be charged until the system ships to you.

JMody likes this.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Looks nice and sounds nice Joe. Sounds a lot like the Fiat Abarth and Alfa 4C, just like I expected it to.

I was under my Ti the other day looking at things to find that the stock pipe was flattened to clear the rear suspension. It almost half the diameter for almost three feet. (shivers)

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM

It IS nice Racer, I can testify. It makes all the right sounds at all the right times. It's a steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 AM

The exhaust is awesome. The Giulia now sounds like an Alfa should. It really opens up when you paddle shift.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Gas flow isn't much affected by the shape of the tubing. Changes in the area of the pipe cross section will create wave reflections (which are exploited in designing both intakes and exhausts). However, changes in section shape without reducing or increasing cross sectional area will have no effect on gas flow. Even bends have very little effect on flow efficiency. Mandrel bending exhaust pipes is a complete waste of money. Gas flow is not much affected by those ripples from ordinary bending methods.

Virtually 100% of any perceived improvement obtained by fitting an aftermarket exhaust system to a new car will come from increased noise. Mufflers work by restricting gas flow in order to remove some of the energy from the wave forms. You cannot reduce noise without some restriction in the flow. Conversely, nowadays, the factory engineers do not leave anything on the table when designing intake and exhausts.

If you like the added noise the aftermarket systems deliver then fine but don't delude yourself into thinking you're getting free extra power, not possible.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 10-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Virtually 100% of any perceived improvement obtained by fitting an aftermarket exhaust system to a new car will come from increased noise. Mufflers work by restricting gas flow in order to remove some of the energy from the wave forms. You cannot reduce noise without some restriction in the flow. Conversely, nowadays, the factory engineers do not leave anything on the table when designing intake and exhausts.

If you like the added noise the aftermarket systems deliver then fine but don't delude yourself into thinking you're getting free extra power, not possible.
This was definitely not our experience at all with the 4C exhaust systems - they gave great gains in power which were evident in normal driving and proven on a dyno. We find that direct-injected, turbo 4-cylinder engines really respond well to being opened up right after the cats.

I expect the Giulia system will be similar. Alfa went to great lengths with the Giulia to make the stock system very quiet to appeal to the non-traditional Alfa buyer. So you are correct that the main selling point of the system is acoustics.

We should have dyno tests completed shortly for this system and will update everyone with the results.
Racer Z and ciao55 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Gas flow isn't much affected by the shape of the tubing. Changes in the area of the pipe cross section will create wave reflections (which are exploited in designing both intakes and exhausts). However, changes in section shape without reducing or increasing cross sectional area will have no effect on gas flow. Even bends have very little effect on flow efficiency. Mandrel bending exhaust pipes is a complete waste of money. Gas flow is not much affected by those ripples from ordinary bending methods.

Wow - Are you speaking from experience? So do you have one of those Canadian Stebro exhaust systems on your 1991 164 (with 230,000 Km) that incorporates those special "changes in section shape without reducing or increasing cross sectional area" and "those ripples from ordinary bending methods" ?
ciao55 likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 AM

I'm sure the Dyno numbers will show a 4 to 6 hp increase but I don't care. The seat of my pants Dyno says wow. The exhaust note is awesome. Perception is evrything.
shakingthrough likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Standard pipe bending collapses the tubing making the cross-section smaller. This constricts the flow of the hot gasses. Mandrel bending forces the tube to remain at a constant diameter allowing for a constant cross-section which reduces the bottle-necking of gasses.

Yes, one costs more than the other. One also offers more overall performance than the other. It's not a linear equation, at some point you will spend more money than the power gains your getting. An intake and exhaust system will only net you 10 or 15 HP. Perhaps that same money could be used more effectively elsewhere. But, as point out earlier, you won't get the music, which play a big part in the sensation of speed and power.

Also, a better flowing intake and exhaust is a necessary setup to support the expected big power gain from an ECU chip.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to get it.

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When I got my TI a couple weeks ago, my only real complaint was the exhaust. I just ordered Centerline's Corsa system. It should arrive on Tuesday, hoping to have it installed by the end of the week.

I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Nelson

2017 Giulia TI Alfa Rosso
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Got it installed.

I think it's one of the best upgrades you can do for a 2.0 car. Sounds great, really wakes the car up. The system is very well made, and fit perfectly.

I didn't buy it expecting any horsepower gains, and honestly, I can't tell if there is a difference.

When you get on it, it's pleasantly raspy with a few "pops" here and there, and at highway cruise speeds, there is absolutely no droning.

Nelson

2017 Giulia TI Alfa Rosso
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

Agreed, the factory exhaust is silent. I gotsta have it. My question is does it affect the warranty? Also, do the air induction and the OBD setups affect the warranty?

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:40 AM

This will definitly increase the impression of horsepower !!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
Agreed, the factory exhaust is silent. I gotsta have it. My question is does it affect the warranty? Also, do the air induction and the OBD setups affect the warranty?
The question of warranty on new cars is one that comes up often.

The answer is of course "it depends..."

First - many dealerships actually install our exhausts, intakes, and tunes for customers, while other dealerships are 100% against aftermarket parts. So, I would suggest feeling out the service department at your local dealership, since they are the ones you are going to have a long-term relationship with.

Second - a warranty isn't a black and white thing. A dealership cannot "Void" your entire warranty because they find an aftermarket part. What they would have to do, according to the Magnussen-Moss act, is prove the aftermarket part caused a failure before they could deny warranty coverage on that failure. More generally, what often happens is they would blame an aftermarket mod for a failure on a particular system, even if they don't have proof. For example, a tuned ECU, which increases boost, could be used as reasonable grounds to deny coverage for a turbo failure, but would not be reasonable grounds to deny coverage on a brake, suspension, or transmission issue.

Third - and this is just my opinion based on interactions with dealerships across the country; I don't get the impression that Alfa is going out looking to void warranty coverage, or that aftermarket performance parts have caused major warranty issues.

Out of the common aftermarket mods, the ECU tunes are most likely to cause warranty issues - however with the tunes for the 2.0T engine you are easily able to re-flash your stock ECU programming back to the car before taking it in to the dealership. Unfortunately, the QV is a whole other level of complexity so this isn't an option.
shakingthrough likes this.

750-ALFA
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Joe. As usual your honesty and upfrontness gives us solid information to make our decisions. The exhaust is definitely on my list.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode