Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Giulia (2017-current) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-2017-current/)
-   -   Want manual giulia.... (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulia-2017-current/589449-want-manual-giulia.html)

Sketchl 06-01-2017 02:51 PM

Want manual Giulia....

I recently test drove the various Giulia models and have to confirm that the new Alfa is awesome, both in performance and style. Congratulations FCA on a job well done. My only reservation (major frustration) is that the Giulia doesn't come in a manual......unfortunately an 8 speed paddle shift is just a modified automatic and selecting through the 8 gears is not engaging in the slightest in normal street driving and I can just imagine how great this Giulia could be in a manual for the 'drivers' out there.

I wanted to start this thread to try and gain some feedback from the AlfaBB forum on how many buyers would rather purchase a manual Giulia over the current standard auto.

I'm holding off placing my order on a beautiful Rosso Giulia Veloce in the hope that Alfa see the light and introduce a manual version.

Just reply to this thread with with a '👍' so that FCA can gauge the support for MANUAL version of the standard models.

PS. Note that I fully appreciate Alfisti who love their auto's but there's no need for your input on this thread. Grazie

Racer Z 06-01-2017 11:47 PM

AR dropped the manual transmission at the last minute. They actually got it registered for import into the USA, but alas, changed their minds. Speculation has two ideas on this:

1) It doesn't perform well.
2) The clutch pedal failed during crash test cutting off feet.

I certainly don't want to drive a car with a unfavorable transmission. And I do like my feet right where they are,attached to my legs.

Did you drive a Ti Q2? It has a limited slip and in Dynamic Manual mode the torque converter tightens up nicely.

Sketchl 06-02-2017 02:31 AM

Ciao RacerZ,

Note that I've been driving a manual AR159 for the last ten years which would have to be one of the worst manual gearbox's I've driven, but I still prefer it to over an auto and have had to just adapted to its anomalies, as we all do living with Alfa's.

I agree that on a race track a manual gearbox doesn't perform as well as a paddle shift auto, but we're talking about a road driving Alfa and 0.5 of a second really doesn't mean anything. Allowing the driver to co-ordinate the changing of the gears with the engagement of the clutch is part of driving satisfaction...... plus I like to do my own heel-toeing!

As for the safety aspect, the speculation is absurd.

Yes, I drove an awesome Ti Q2 in full dynamic mode and could only imagine what it would be like as a manual.

Here's hoping.....

Saluti
Sergio

Gepetto 06-02-2017 07:55 AM

If a manual Giulia (or, as it were, the rumored Giulia Sprint that's coming) were offered I'd trade in my 1 year old GTI for it. Granted, in europe the 4 cylinder gas engines are automatic only, so it'd have to be a diesel or the Quadrifoglio.

The GTI gearbox is great, and really makes driving around - even in NYC - fun. My GTV-6, like all transaxle car, has an appalling gearbox in comparison (save for the clutch, which has decent feel). I still love it, and I can't imagine the transmission in the manual version of the Giulia QV is as bad as my GTV6.

Max Pershyn 06-02-2017 08:18 AM

1-5 gears of Giulia ZF 8 speed auto are very short. The gear ratio should satisfy any active driver. 5 gears that work only in 0-150 km/h range. So, stop crying, just try to understand that Giulia was built by former racing Maserati engineers, who know what active driver needs.
Just try to compare BMW 3 series and Giulia gear ratios, you'll understand the different philosophy of design. One car was built for mediocre drivers, another one for Alfisti

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Gepetto 06-02-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Pershyn (Post 7647889)
1-5 gears of Giulia ZF 8 speed auto are very short. The gear ratio should satisfy any active driver. 5 gears that work only in 0-150 km/h range. So, stop crying, just try to understand that Giulia was built by former racing Maserati engineers, who know what active driver needs.
Just try to compare BMW 3 series and Giulia gear ratios, you'll understand the different philosophy of design. One car was built for mediocre drivers, another one for Alfisti

Understood, but it's not a knock on the car. I'm sure it's excellent with the automatic. It's just that there's still some of us who simply enjoy the experience of a manual transmission and want to buy cars that offer us that.

Max Pershyn 06-02-2017 08:23 AM

EU manual Giulias are low powered diesel versions only (except QV). No chance at all to get 2.0 Turbo with gear stick

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Gepetto 06-02-2017 08:37 AM

Next time I go to Italy (maybe later this year), I may try to rent a diesel Giulia with manual just to see how it is.

Sketchl 06-02-2017 02:09 PM

Ciao Max, I'm sure you'll be the first one to buy a 'driverless' Alfa when it comes out in the future. Bravo

PSk 06-02-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketchl (Post 7647545)
... I've been driving a manual AR159 for the last ten years which would have to be one of the worst manual gearbox's I've driven ...

Interesting. Who made that gearbox, GM? I've got a 156v6 6 speed manual and the gearbox is just beautiful! I go up and down the gearbox for no reason other than mere fun :) ... I also blip unnecessarily on down changes :D
Pete

Sketchl 06-02-2017 02:40 PM

Ciao Pete, I had two 156's and agree that both engine and gearbox were great.

159 gearbox made by Aisin in Japan!! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

Max Pershyn 06-02-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketchl (Post 7648497)
Ciao Pete, I had two 156's and agree that both engine and gearbox were great.

159 gearbox made by Aisin in Japan!! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

Automatic by Aisin. Manual, M40, were taken from Opel Vectra. Engines of 159 were GM units with Alfa Romeo-FIAT heads.

156 had cast iron FIAT engine block with Alfa head. Manual gearboxes were FIAT and Q-system supplied by Aisin.

Max Pershyn 06-02-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketchl (Post 7648449)
Ciao Max, I'm sure you'll be the first one to buy a 'driverless' Alfa when it comes out in the future. Bravo

Ciao :) May be I will buy it :)

P.S. My current daily drive has 6-speed C635 manual gearbox and 1.4 turbo multiair :wink2:

Sketchl 06-02-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Pershyn (Post 7648521)
Automatic by Aisin. Manual, M40, were taken from Opel Vectra.

Ha, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification Max.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Pershyn (Post 7648537)
P.S. My current daily drive has 6-speed C635 manual gearbox

Now I know why you want an auto! It's because you shread too many tyres...:wink2:

Sketchl 06-02-2017 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyway, back on topic.......