Alfa Romeo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want manual giulia....

85K views 882 replies 57 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 · (Edited)
Want manual Giulia....

I recently test drove the various Giulia models and have to confirm that the new Alfa is awesome, both in performance and style. Congratulations FCA on a job well done. My only reservation (major frustration) is that the Giulia doesn't come in a manual......unfortunately an 8 speed paddle shift is just a modified automatic and selecting through the 8 gears is not engaging in the slightest in normal street driving and I can just imagine how great this Giulia could be in a manual for the 'drivers' out there.

I wanted to start this thread to try and gain some feedback from the AlfaBB forum on how many buyers would rather purchase a manual Giulia over the current standard auto.

I'm holding off placing my order on a beautiful Rosso Giulia Veloce in the hope that Alfa see the light and introduce a manual version.

Just reply to this thread with with a '?' so that FCA can gauge the support for MANUAL version of the standard models.

PS. Note that I fully appreciate Alfisti who love their auto's but there's no need for your input on this thread. Grazie

See less See more
#2 ·
AR dropped the manual transmission at the last minute. They actually got it registered for import into the USA, but alas, changed their minds. Speculation has two ideas on this:

1) It doesn't perform well.
2) The clutch pedal failed during crash test cutting off feet.

I certainly don't want to drive a car with a unfavorable transmission. And I do like my feet right where they are,attached to my legs.

Did you drive a Ti Q2? It has a limited slip and in Dynamic Manual mode the torque converter tightens up nicely.

#3 ·
Ciao RacerZ,

Note that I've been driving a manual AR159 for the last ten years which would have to be one of the worst manual gearbox's I've driven, but I still prefer it to over an auto and have had to just adapted to its anomalies, as we all do living with Alfa's.

I agree that on a race track a manual gearbox doesn't perform as well as a paddle shift auto, but we're talking about a road driving Alfa and 0.5 of a second really doesn't mean anything. Allowing the driver to co-ordinate the changing of the gears with the engagement of the clutch is part of driving satisfaction...... plus I like to do my own heel-toeing!

As for the safety aspect, the speculation is absurd.

Yes, I drove an awesome Ti Q2 in full dynamic mode and could only imagine what it would be like as a manual.

Here's hoping.....

Saluti
Sergio

#10 ·
... I've been driving a manual AR159 for the last ten years which would have to be one of the worst manual gearbox's I've driven ...
Interesting. Who made that gearbox, GM? I've got a 156v6 6 speed manual and the gearbox is just beautiful! I go up and down the gearbox for no reason other than mere fun :) ... I also blip unnecessarily on down changes :D
Pete

#4 · (Edited)
If a manual Giulia (or, as it were, the rumored Giulia Sprint that's coming) were offered I'd trade in my 1 year old GTI for it. Granted, in europe the 4 cylinder gas engines are automatic only, so it'd have to be a diesel or the Quadrifoglio.

The GTI gearbox is great, and really makes driving around - even in NYC - fun. My GTV-6, like all transaxle car, has an appalling gearbox in comparison (save for the clutch, which has decent feel). I still love it, and I can't imagine the transmission in the manual version of the Giulia QV is as bad as my GTV6.

#5 ·
1-5 gears of Giulia ZF 8 speed auto are very short. The gear ratio should satisfy any active driver. 5 gears that work only in 0-150 km/h range. So, stop crying, just try to understand that Giulia was built by former racing Maserati engineers, who know what active driver needs.
Just try to compare BMW 3 series and Giulia gear ratios, you'll understand the different philosophy of design. One car was built for mediocre drivers, another one for Alfisti

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
1-5 gears of Giulia ZF 8 speed auto are very short. The gear ratio should satisfy any active driver. 5 gears that work only in 0-150 km/h range. So, stop crying, just try to understand that Giulia was built by former racing Maserati engineers, who know what active driver needs.
Just try to compare BMW 3 series and Giulia gear ratios, you'll understand the different philosophy of design. One car was built for mediocre drivers, another one for Alfisti
Understood, but it's not a knock on the car. I'm sure it's excellent with the automatic. It's just that there's still some of us who simply enjoy the experience of a manual transmission and want to buy cars that offer us that.

#17 ·
I test drove the new Giulia, and as far as the transmission was concerned, it was no different than our rental Chevy, except for having the flappy paddles, which I decided could be considered unneeded. In other words, meh.

#18 · (Edited)
I do not know about plans of making Alfa Romeo with manual in a future. MiTo will die soon as a mistake. C-SUV will not have manual gearbox with good engines. E-SUV and Stelvio will never get gear stick. Next Giulietta? There is no chance to see this car in North America. New Specialty (6C)? NO, never get a manual. Giulia Coupe will have the same mechanical part as Giulia. 4C second series? No chance at all.

So let's consider the brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti?

#22 ·
Here in Norway you can choose LHD Giulia Q With 6 speed manual or 8 speed Automatic. Although initially I wanted the manual, I think I now would have the paddleshift 8 speed because its quicker shift function. Having shifted manually a lifetime its time to advance to more modern solutions. Here Chris Harris´experience with the manual shift: not impressed at all!

G.

#23 ·
First of all, no one wants a car with a crummy manual transmission. If Fiat/Alfa can't get it right with the Giulia, then I most likely wouldn't want it either. As for the attributes of the automatic, it provides super quick automatic shifting for those who want that, but doesn't provide the physical interaction/brain sensations others like.

Some like classical music, others like hip hop, but either isn't necessarily the chosen cup of tea for all. One might argue that hip hop is more modern, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the chosen style of music for all, as the automatic transmission fans seem to think a car transmission should be. There are aspects to be appreciated for both styles/designs.

Me, I don't see a Giulia in our future. Too much money for something I will not really appreciate, since I don't drive on the street in a manner which would take advantage of the one/single positive aspect of the automatic, quick shifting sans meaningful driver interaction.

"So let's consider the brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti?"

Maybe so.

#25 ·
When BMW uses Getrag and ZF journalists tell us it is a perfect combination. When the same components appear in Alfa journalists try to convince us the gearboxes are awful...
Giulia has the same manual gearbox as BMW :)

Regarding QV. How sweet should be the gearbox in 600Nm car? Light clutch and precise shifts? It is just impossible to create in my opinion.

#24 ·
With so few cars makers offering manual gearboxes, Alfa would have done better to cater to the enthusiast. Unlike German auto makers whose buyer is mainly driven by brand status, Alfa Romeo can't afford to neglect their core customer base. They should offer a manual gearbox and aim it at those who can't get it from the German brands.

#28 ·
Paddles with a DCT do provide the sensations, not quite the same as a clutch, but another type of game that is pretty dam satisfying. Paddles with an auto have never provided much of a thrill at all of me. I have not driven the GQ.

#29 ·
With the paddle shift you can shift as fast or as slow you wish, dont have to be a racedrive every time!

However if you want to shift fast just see Fabio Francia taking the car to Nürburgring! Almost flying off a couple of places, but main impression is how much more effective paddle shift is compared to stick shift! Just enjoy the ride which most of would not dare!
Objective of the ride was to beat Porsche Panamera´s time on the ring.

G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZMB4FRZKsg#t=183.8464381

#30 · (Edited)
Changing gear utilising the paddles when the car is an automatic is the ultimate definition of being a wanker. Put the thing in D and just drive the flipping car. You have bought an automatic, let the car's computer do the changes and hope you have the coordination left to steer, and push a couple of pedals.

Honestly every automatic I have driven with the ability to manual shift are just a joke ... I happily put them in D, open my window, put my arm up on the door and cruise on by.

I'm 49 years old, I get the reason for buying an automatic but will never get the want for a ROAD car to have paddles. Race car yes but gee so many of us laugh at young boys ricing up their first cars and then buy a ROAD car with paddle shift and for some reason want to be taken seriously ... ? ... you are a being a bigger ricer because you have the funds and maturity to do it properly and yet still worry about how fast your gear changes are as you go up to the local shop to get a loaf of bread .... hahahahahahahahah :D :D ... do you put a replica of Michael Schumacher's helmet on too to complete the "I am a tool" look?

And yes every time I blip on a down change with my 156v6, I'm being a tool too :eek:
Pete

#31 ·
Seems crazy for me. Alfisti of North America stuck in early 80s. Alfa Romeo has used paddle shifters since 1997, for 20 years. First prototypes, based on 155q4, were tested in 1994.

I would understand this kind of discussion in the end of 90s. Please, take a look at the bottom right part of your monitors, it is 2017 year, not 1987.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

#35 · (Edited)
I'm a New Zealander and would never own a sillyspeed car, for the same reasons ... it's a ROAD car, and gear change speed is utterly and completely irrelevant. Stick it in D and admit you cannot be bothered to change gear anymore.

At 49 I'm close to purchasing an automatic Alfa, and would now accept a 166 auto as a family/touring car. Twenty years ago never ...
Pete

#32 ·
I think FCA is right on the button when they came to the conclusion that the paddle shift 8 gear version would be most wanted.
The manual version of the Q is also offered in LHD but I wonder for how long. Depends on demand, but as Harris said he was happy that model would not come to the UK!

G.

#33 ·
Unfortunately there are comments here from some that will never understand the pleasure of manual, and to be honest I couldn't give a **** if they ever did, plus who the the hell do you think you are to tell us what we should like!! F.O.

Note that Chris Harris will always favour a paddle shift, and to be honest he doesn't seem to complain whilst driving the Giulia hard which would have been an instinctual comment, and hence truthful if it was a dog.

I still feel that FCA have made an error not releasing a manual version and note that I can always buy a new manual BMW instead, but wouldn't.....

#37 · (Edited)
[OFF]Hi Sketchl :) If you mentioned me, I, 40 years old, have been driven manual since 1995, all my daily drivers had and have manual gearbox. About 200000 km of driving 155 2.0 8v, even without ABS, in Ukraine...

Below you can find usual winter condition, just bare ice.

Now I live in Alberta, where the climate is soft and enjoy 3 speed Spider Automatic. And can you believe or not, I use 1 and 2 gears to climb hills, 4500 revs on 2nd and Spider sing a song :) Perhaps you do not know what ice means and what hills (or mountains) mean.

[/OFF]

Back to topic,

more than 90% of all Giulia have automatic gearbox. Most of manual cars are the cheapest diesel versions that can be used even as taxi in Germany. And as I understand just 5-7% of manual cars are petrol version, QV.
You are in a small fast disappeared niche, no one wants to invest money in it. Probably manual version was done just by the marketing reason. This niche will die soon. FCA does not care will you buy a car from them or not.
P.S. The most efficient Giulia, AE version, has diesel engine and automatic gearbox. You might need to think differently about modern gearboxes. Even DCT are dying. They are very close to the end of the lifespan. There is no any automotive company that invest in them. Hybrids are coming. You will see it very soon in Alfa model range. By the way, do you know that Alfa, the real one, not FIAT, had researched hybrids in 70-80s? The first one was done in 1979, based on F12 and Ansaldo electric motors, then 33 Giardinetta in 1988. Completely made in house with possibility to drive on batteries only.

So the 30-40 years old technology is coming :)

#38 ·
Ciao Max,

I suggest that you go back to my original post and 'actually' read why I commenced this thread in the first place.

I am NOT advising auto drivers that they should drive manual, plus I do not consider myself that important that FCA would give one hoot of what I'm asking. But as a group, movements have been able to change many things in this world instead of been force feed what the commercial world want us to purchase because of their own internal reasons.

I'm only asking for the quite 'Alfista' majority to provide some feedback.

Note that I wouldn't consider BMW as being backward thinkers and the percentages are only what they are because of availability. Also note that the genre with most money these days are the cashed up baby boomers not the the up-and-comers.

Saluti
Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.