Want manual giulia.... - Page 58 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #856 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post
À Chacun Son Goût.
Exactly........ I’ve experience the new Giulia several times and unfortunately the auto doesn’t do it me! Should I compromise, NO.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #857 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:33 PM

I think it was Henry Manney III who described the gtv6 shifter like stirring a broomstick in a bathtub of coal. Unkind but the rod linkeage back to the transaxle was a tad dire. Mind you, remote shifter mechanisms have always presented challenges to engineers.

As soon as you start touting rev matching and flat shifting electronic aids to manual shift I say you are out of the cult and now in search of an even more esoteric connection with your car.

It still boils down to that foot pedal. Even the stick to select ratios is still used for most automatics in manual mode. Silly really. Like using a bell rope to toll church bells when a computer controlled carillon works so much better.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #858 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
À Chacun Son Goût.
Exactly why arguing this until the end of the time is a useless exercise. à plus tard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #859 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
I think it was Henry Manney III who described the gtv6 shifter like stirring a broomstick in a bathtub of coal. Unkind but the rod linkeage back to the transaxle was a tad dire. Mind you, remote shifter mechanisms have always presented challenges to engineers.

As soon as you start touting rev matching and flat shifting electronic aids to manual shift I say you are out of the cult and now in search of an even more esoteric connection with your car.
Agree with both of these points ... one of the reasons I don't own a GTV6.

Quote:
It still boils down to that foot pedal. Even the stick to select ratios is still used for most automatics in manual mode. Silly really. Like using a bell rope to toll church bells when a computer controlled carillon works so much better.
You are also forgetting the fun we have moving the gear lever itself.

The other thing I find fascinating, is you keep mentioning performance, i.e. shift speed. Can I remind you that we are discussing a ROAD car and an Alfa Romeo. Alfa Romeos, even this 505hp car, have never been/are never the fastest cars on the road. NOBODY buys an Alfa Romeo* to own the fastest car on the road, they buy it because it is the MOST INVOLVING for a driver to drive.

Now the problem is, Alfa Romeo have diluted that involvement equation, because new Alfas don't have a gear lever to play with. Note I said "play", and I mean that. It has nothing to do with performance, but we like being able to play. Nobody even classic races an Alfa Romeo to be the fastest, but simply because they want to race an Alfa Romeo.
Pete
* - 8c2900B and homologated race cars excepted, but unfortunately nowadays "only competitive in their class, not fastest". Now if Alfa Romeo are moving into trying to be the fastest road car, then I'm really not interested. Those days have gone, and are no longer socially acceptable.

IMHO there is no bigger dork on this planet than a driver that races his/her car on the street. Only slightly less of a dork is the person who buys a road car because it is supposedly the fastest road car/motorcycle.
DanB likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 05-06-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #860 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
^505 HP

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/8d/8dd0...90560a7ee7.jpg
PSk likes this.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #861 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 AM

I owned a gtv6 from the 80's. I can imagine how good it would have been with the DCT from the 4C, dry clutches and so on.

As for the "stick shift" appeal I wonder why, if the actuation is so important, that short shift kits are so popular and why sequential gearboxes are often fitted to the most extreme versions of "manual shift" cars. The stick shift automatic has the shortest most direct throw of any shifter. Of course paddles make far more sense, leaving macro level gear selection to a row of buttons (a la Chrysler/DeSoto from the late fifties or an Aston Martin Lagonda from the 70's or a Ferrari 355 etc etc) or the nifty rotary selector favoured by and introduced by Jaguar, followed by FCA.

The reference to power, performance and safety in road cars I suggest an automatic is far safer to drive on public roads than a manual shift and makes the more powerful cars now available safer to drive in public.

post #862 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
I seriously doubt whether any of the folks slamming the Giulia for its automatic transmission have ever driven one.

Best automatic I've ever driven. Still prefer a manual. Day 902 of me not buying a Giulia because there is no manual option.
post #863 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
: Day 902 of me not buying a Giulia because there is no manual option.
That must be hard for you. Here is another pic of my Giulia. Maybe that will cheer you up!
Attached Images

post #864 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
: Day 902 of me not buying a Giulia because there is no manual option.
That must be hard for you. Here is another pic of my Giulia. Maybe that will cheer you up!
What cheers me up banging through the gears on my manual WRX STI. A Giulia would have been nice if they had brought one with 3 pedals.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #865 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
I challenge anyone to prove I'm wasting keystrokes trying to illustrate the advantages of an automatic Giulia as compared to no Giulia at all.
How can we know what we want without the guidance of our philosopher king?

Quote:
That must be hard for you.
Quite easy actually. What would be hard is spending money on something that is counter to my preferences.

I'm glad you like your automatic Giulia. If Alfa ever changes their mind and offers a manual for sale here, I'll go buy one. It doesn't hurt to remind them they are missing out on some sales.
post #866 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM

It really is a stunningly good looking car. The fact that it drives so well is a bonus.

post #867 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
PSk

Quote:
What would be hard is spending money on something that is counter to my preferences.
Amen!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #868 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
PSk

Quote:
What would be hard is spending money on something that is counter to my preferences.
Amen!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #869 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm just chiming in again... its been since July 2017, post #106... and you guys are still at it... auto vs. manual!! Both sides have their pluses and minus, and if it is a continued debate amongst the Alfa cognoscenti, then FCA/Alfa Romeo definitely got it wrong by not offering the manual here stateside for the Giulia. I've heard great things about the ZF 8speed... and not just for the Alfa implementation, but other high end brands (to include Aston Martin). Hell, the GM A8 offered in the Caddies (and other GM products) is crap in comparison, and has a class action lawsuit due to some rough shifting/vibrations in certain scenarios. It also shifts slower than the ZF.

But I'm still slap-happy with my Tremec TR6060 6sp manual with 'no-lift' shift and auto rev matching in my '16 ATS-V (does better matching revs than I can double clutching). Had the Giulia QV been offered with a manual tranny in the USA, it certainly would have given me greater pause/harder decision before I upgraded to the ATS-V from my 2013 2L Turbo ATS (the 2L bought well before Alfa landed back on our shores in Fall 2016 with the Giulia QV). My '16 ATS-V was purchased in the Spring of 2017 as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with 5200 miles on the odo.

Hopefully everyone finds automotive nirvana concerning this issue. As many have said, the modern manual is on its death bed...fewer and fewer being offered across all the manufacturers. (That said, I believe the top 3 spots of fastest 1/4 mile times for the ATS-V are held by manual equipped ATS-Vs in the Caddy community, so go figure...). Before you know it, everything will be EV and we'll look back at our IC engined cars with deep longing and regret, never mind what kind of transmission it had...
Attached Images

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT

Last edited by Renaldo; 05-07-2019 at 10:20 PM.
post #870 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
Hope everyone finds automotive nirvana concerning this issue. As many have said, the modern manual is on its death bed...fewer and fewer being offered across all the manufacturers. Before you know it, everything will be EV and we'll look back at our IC engined cars with deep longing and loss, never mind what kind of transmission it had...
Quote:
As the rest of the industry slowly shies away from cars fitted with manual transmissions, Porsche has made a handful of about-turns on the matter. The latest word, coming from no less than Porsche North America CEO Klaus Zemmler, is that the German automaker will be offering manual transmissions “as long as there are customers who demand” one.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar182932.html

Alfa just won't listen to y'all

Then there are...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-transmission/

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode