Want manual giulia.... - Page 57 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #841 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Totally down for that, Hybrid I do not have much interest in. If I want that route I will just do Tesla.

87 Maserati Biturbo Spider since new, 13 Abarth 500
16 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags747 View Post
Totally down for that, Hybrid I do not have much interest in. If I want that route I will just do Tesla.
Depends on the implementation. One way to do hybrid is to spoil the turbo with an electric motor. No lag, torque everywhere, and doesn’t require big heavy batteries.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #843 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing wrong with a bit of torque gapping........I think I’ll wait for the official announcement before putting down a deposit for a manual.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #845 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ciao ARwrench, I just stayed awake for the whole video and the most interesting comment was at 12:18!! (I've set to below video at that time to make it easy)

PS. I'm sure that the new ZF auto is unreal but I couldn't care less and the only reason why autos are becoming more popular is that people are becoming inherently lazier every day

PSk and rags747 like this.

post #846 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 PM

I prefer the ZF 8 spd to any other transmission I have driven including McLaren's amazing DCT (by Graziano). The video explains why all thinking drivers interested in extracting maximum enjoyment from driving a modern car choose this transmission, including the car makers' engineers.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 05-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #847 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After 12 mins of praising every aspect of the ZF auto transmission the would be blogger states........

"Now personally, of course, I would prefer that everything came with a manual transmission, I would always opt for for a manual transmission if it was offered........."

Even lovers of the ZF autos want manuals......Keep the ZF for the mainstream drivers and provide the real enthusiast with a manual transmission please
Alfissimo Int. and rags747 like this.

post #848 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 AM

Maybe, maybe not. But the question to answer is would he rather have no Giulia at all or one with that ZF8 spd?

Manual transmission choice is approaching a cult status, almost a religious fervour. All in search of pressing a clutch pedal (when an on/off switch is all that is needed from a functional standpoint).

Wait a minute, the ZF 8 spd already does that: operates the clutch with an on/off switch instead of your foot.

post #849 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But the question to answer is would he rather have no Giulia at all or one with that ZF8 spd?

Manual transmission choice is approaching a cult status, almost a religious fervour. All in search of pressing a clutch pedal (when an on/off switch is all that is needed from a functional standpoint).

Wait a minute, the ZF 8 spd already does that: operates the clutch with an on/off switch instead of your foot.
The Giulia is itself an irrational choice. If car choice were purely rational, we'd all be driving boring economy cars. I've made my choice: no manual, no Giulia. You are wasting your keystrokes trying to convince most of us otherwise.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #850 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
The Giulia is itself an irrational choice. If car choice were purely rational, we'd all be driving boring economy cars. I've made my choice: no manual, no Giulia. You are wasting your keystrokes trying to convince most of us otherwise.
I challenge anyone to prove I'm wasting keystrokes trying to illustrate the advantages of an automatic Giulia as compared to no Giulia at all.

There is also a difference between irrational and not rational. Emotional decisions may still be consistent with rationality as in: I need a car so I will buy a Giulia sized sedan. How much extra would it cost for me to buy a Giulia instead of the Mazda I should buy, purely rationally speaking...

Extending that to the possible irrationality of selecting a manual shift over an automatic reveals the cult like reasoning applied to choosing deliberately to buy the car that underperforms its potential even when expertly driven. When the choice is no Giulia or an automatic version I concede it is irrational to deprive yourself of the aesthetic satisfaction of driving a Giulia because you cannot (and never will be able to) buy one with a manual gearbox.

It's down to the psychological pleasure of pushing down and releasing a clutch pedal....what that has to do with enjoying driving I admit I fail to understand.
RexCars likes this.

post #851 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
I fail to understand.
Finally, something we can agree upon.
post #852 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM

I seriously doubt whether any of the folks slamming the Giulia for its automatic transmission have ever driven one. I love Alfas, but have always felt frustrated by how long it takes to shift. This is especially true of the GTV-6, which I still love. In my Giulia, shifts are totally under my control (in manual mode) and happen bang, bang, bang just like that. I think I read 200 milliseconds.

One thing I had to adjust to was not backing off the throttle on upshifts. The shift is so fast the motor doesn't speed up.

Man I love this car. Amazingly, my wife loves it too. She has hated all of my other Alfas.
Attached Images

Alfissimo Int. likes this.
post #853 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post
I seriously doubt whether any of the folks slamming the Giulia for its automatic transmission have ever driven one. I love Alfas, but have always felt frustrated by how long it takes to shift. This is especially true of the GTV-6, which I still love. In my Giulia, shifts are totally under my control (in manual mode) and happen bang, bang, bang just like that. I think I read 200 milliseconds.

One thing I had to adjust to was not backing off the throttle on upshifts. The shift is so fast the motor doesn't speed up.

Man I love this car. Amazingly, my wife loves it too. She has hated all of my other Alfas.
I've driven plenty of the newfangled quick-shifting autos (zf 8 speed, VW DSG, BMW DCT). They are good at what they do, but they aren't particularly engaging. If I were racing, I'd want one, but even for a friendly track day, I prefer the challenge and feedback of a manual.

By the way, manual transmissions have come a long way since your GTV-6 too. A good modern manual can shift MUCH quicker than an old Alfa manual, and flat-foot shifting (i.e. full throttle shifts) can be programmed into the ECU of a manual transmission car. In fact, the Megasquirt ECU in my spider technically supports flat foot shifting, though I've not gotten around to experimenting with it.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #854 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 PM

À Chacun Son Goût.
post #855 of 884 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post

hahaha. my wife hated all of mine too, especially the 164 only because I always had bloody knuckles owning that thing. She loves the Giulia!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode