Want manual giulia.... - Page 41 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #601 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:25 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Manual gearbox is a symbol of sports car in North America only. In Europe/Asia it is a symbol of old outdated technology, symbol of poor people or slow diesel cars"

Well, the owners in OZ seem to be enthusiastic about their Alfas, same for some I've met in other countries.

However, I guess we live in the past. We're done, toss us out with the buggy whips and the rest of the trash, hah. Michael is correct in stating that we who would like a manual transmission do not live in the new bright and shiny world of everything electronic and effortless unskilled driving (point it and squirt, lol).

I'm just sitting here in my recliner chair, listening to the golden oldies (actually, really, although I do like most music in general) on Comcast after watching the celebration of John McCain's life of ethics and honor (as compared to he who must not be mentioned), and of course Queen Aretha, reminiscing about the past, relatives and good friends dying right and left lately.

I'll probably take the 91S out for a drive later (since I changed the 91S tranny lube yesterday to Redline 75W90 NS from ATF just for the heck of it to see if there is any difference in sound and shifting), kiss the wife, work on my koi pond, go for a short swim, try to prepare a new Italian menu to cook for tonight, and end up thinking that life can be good after all.

Screw automatic transmissions.
Cobralfa and Speedraser like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 09-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
watching the celebration of John McCain's life of ethics and honor (as compared to he who must not be mentioned),
Keating Five ring any bells?

At any rate, I'm sure that even if the Giulia had a manual, some of you would find some other reason not to like it. Maybe it's the rotors taking a crap after 2 laps on a track, or the irritation of the auto-stop function, or the lack of a trunk pass-through, or the non-color logo on the steering wheel, or the factory tires that wear out after three trips to the store and it doesn't handle *quite* as amazing as it did once you mount aftermarket tires.

Or whatever.

I don't think FCA really cares about that handful of naysayers. Nor should they. Alfa has sold over 14,000 cars (as of the end of July) this year, on track for 24-26k. The best year prior to that was a little over 8,000 cars, in 1986.

Best guess for US revenue this year will be somewhere around $1 billion. With a B.

My Q has 7k miles on it now, and I love it more every day. I use manual mode, so it is always in the exact gear I want it to be in--unless I'm stuck in traffic, when I can put it in normal mode and flip on the adaptive cruise control, and just sit back and relax while the car inches along for me. If a business call comes in, I can press a button on the center console and not worry about trying to fiddle with shifting and a phone in hand. I can stream 80's rock off Tidal, and put it in race mode and blast up an on-ramp right behind a very shocked McLaren. I can swing the back end around a corner like a Top Gear reviewer, and then I can shut the volume down while I pull into my neighborhood. It's a modern car for modern life.

With luck, we'll see a hybrid-drive GTV in a few years, and another eye-popping 8C soon after. It's a great time to be an Alfisti, as they are making some amazing cars right now. We forgave our old Alfas for being leaky rattle-traps, because they were fun. If you can't have fun driving a new Q, adding a manual isn't going to change that---you just don't like modern cars.

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6, 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1
post #603 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:18 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

McCain was cleared of impropriety. Was criticized by some for poor judgment but nothing illegal, immoral, racist, sexist, or unethical as compared to...

"At any rate, I'm sure that even if the Giulia had a manual, some of you would find some other reason not to like it". Kind of a bogus statement.

Everybody is different with different wants. I reckon I could have fun in a QV if I wanted to spend that kind of money, lol. We find that today we indeed do not like many modern cars. Way too much money for too much stuff not needed or wanted when driving. Read the latest issue of CR for their comments on being required to spend more on upgrades than they are worth.

Nuff said. Think what you want. Glad you enjoy your QV.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 09-13-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM

It's interesting that the people who want a manual don't say everyone should have one, whereas many of those who want the auto insist that it's what everyone should want...

2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 Performance, 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S, 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2007 Jaguar XJ8, 2018 Audi Q7 (wife's)
post #605 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

It's sort of like someone who finds "religion". Suddenly, everyone they know must put up with being pressured into accepting the same.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #606 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:24 PM

To be clear: I don't care what kind of transmission you have in your car.

But as an enthusiast group, especially of a once-orphaned brand, I feel we should be inclusive rather than exclusive.

Saying things like "The brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti", or claiming that some people are "brainwashed" into liking the new Alfas, is not only not inclusive but demeaning to some of the newer members who have started to appreciate the brand.

You may not want a new Alfa---fine. But telling people who buy one, *on an enthusiast website,* that they are stupid and not real Alfisti, is not very welcoming. We should all be happy there are new Alfas, and not poo-pooing the people who buy them, as they are the future of the brand and will help ignite enthusiasm for the older models as well, increasing parts availability and enlarging the community of Alfisti.

Carry on!
oz3litre, Subtle, howndog and 1 others like this.

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6, 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1
post #607 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I for one am enthusiastic about Alfa coming back, as it has been a very long wait. I've been enthusiastic about the brand since the mid 60's, owning nothing but. Really, have been there, done that. For sure! We are just the old enthusiasts.

FCA has not included the older Alfa enthusiast/owners very much at all, instead of celebrating their return with them. I welcome the new owners of the new style/philosophy Alfas, but personally I do feel a little left out. And, the new dealers do not carry any parts, nor provide service, for the older Alfas, as far as I know. It IS a different brand in many ways.

One comment is that, for one, the car is not in some respects what I hoped for. My other comment is that some seem to think that we should absolutely buy solely what they offer because it is the new wave, or if nothing else, in order to support their return. Well, maybe. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one later on. Might, one never knows.

And as for " But telling people who buy one, *on an enthusiast website,* that they are stupid and not real Alfisti", who said that? Almost seems like the other way around sometimes, lol, as get with the new times.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 09-02-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #608 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
No problem, your comparison sounded reasonable throughout. However, if I had to pick on something, above and beyond the essential better sounds of the 91S, definitely not wanting something which sounds more like a Kia, I would choose the following:

"Giulia is drop dead gorgeous and will remain so forever"

Nah, wrong answer for many (yes, I know it is a personal thing). An old longtime Alfa friend of mine, upon seeing the car for the first time said, woof, one kind of nothing looking car, with no Italian styling. And when we saw our first on the highway as we were passing it, I couldn't tell what it was until I saw the front end of course. Thought at first it might have been a big Nissan or something. Did like the dark blue color, though. Even now, when we see one (rare around Seattle yet) we still can't tell what it is at first, except for the grill. Well, the wheel are a hint.
"And when we saw our first on the highway as we were passing it, I couldn't tell what it was until I saw the front end of course. Thought at first it might have been a big Nissan or something."

"A big Nissan"? Strikes me as cognitive dissonance. I have people come up to me all the time asking about the car, or just wanting to tell me how fantastic it looks. Real car people too. First pic is from this last Saturday's cars and coffee. I parked at the edge, next to the Cayman S. At one point there was a crowd of eight people around my car, studying it, taking pictures, oblivious to the Porsche. I get the "Is this the Bi-Turbo!?" or "Is this the Nurburgring car?!" When I tell them it's merely the 2 liter, they remark how aggressive it still looks, what presence it has. The second pic is my car parked next to a co-workers 3-series. We paid similar money for our respective cars, and even he admits there's no comparison between the two. A big Nissan? Please.
Attached Images

oz3litre, howndog and Speedraser like this.

Jim: '17 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport/Performance; '92 Spider Veloce; '12 Honda Odyssey family hauler; '18 Mustang GT (because Alfa doesn't sell manuals anymore)

Last edited by Rutlefan; 09-02-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #609 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Well, we know what they look like, and we still didn't recognize it when we came upon it. It was just another car on the road. We passed it pretty quickly and didn't see the trunk emblem. That has happened to us about three times now, until we look for the emblem.

I mean, you have to admit that there is little of distinction to the rear end design. Many other cars look similar. It's the front which is very distinctive and identifiable, as same for BMWs, Audis, and even Toyotas with their truly ugly front end. That's the entire point of distinctive front end designs, to make them immediately identifiable.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #610 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, we know what they look like, and we still didn't recognize it when we came upon it. It was just another car on the road. We passed it pretty quickly and didn't see the trunk emblem. That has happened to us about three times now, until we look for the emblem.

I mean, you have to admit that there is little of distinction to the rear end design. Many other cars look similar. It's the front which is very distinctive and identifiable, as same for BMWs, Audis, and even Toyotas with their truly ugly front end. That's the entire point of distinctive front end designs, to make them immediately identifiable.
Try to distinguish Alfetta QO and BMW 5 series Or ARNA and Nissan Cherry

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #611 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:25 PM

One of the many cars the Giulia resembles
Attached Images

Del likes this.
post #612 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulia2017 View Post
One of the many cars the Giulia resembles
You should really share what you are smoking with the rest of the class.

🙂
rags747 and Rutlefan like this.

post #613 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Humorous. It's Alfa oil smoke, of course. Does look similar from the rear, though.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #614 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:05 PM

We’ve clearly gone off-topic, but... I think the Giulia looks really great. I’ve only had mine a month, but I’ve been truly surprised by the amount of attention it gets. It’s obviously very distinctive from the front, but when I’ve approached another one from behind, I’ve known what it was, from a considerable distance, right away.

2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 Performance, 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S, 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2007 Jaguar XJ8, 2018 Audi Q7 (wife's)
post #615 of 884 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 AM

^^ My experience as well. There's a subtlety to the Giulia's lines missing in other ostensibly similar cars. The Giulia manages to look both aggressive and elegant while resisting the industry trend towards unnecessary creases and vents. I'm not a BMW hater (not at all) but new BMW's are ghastly IMO. The most appealing new sedan that isn't the Giulia to me is the Genesis G70, and even that doesn't look like it's in the same league as the Giulia. Of course the Audis look good, as they always have, but I don't go for that particularly Teutonic form of restraint. Handsome just not stirring. Anyway, back to the topic. Whereas most people in and out of the automotive press are fairly taken with the Giulia's design, not everyone is. Not surprising (I just have to push back at Nissan comparisons...and the Acura? Far more resembles a Camry).

Jim: '17 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport/Performance; '92 Spider Veloce; '12 Honda Odyssey family hauler; '18 Mustang GT (because Alfa doesn't sell manuals anymore)

Last edited by Rutlefan; 09-04-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode