Want manual giulia.... - Page 38 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #556 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:25 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
If you want to drive a new Alfa you will have to change your mind about the suitability of the automatic transmission, no matter which model appeals to you.
Why I don't own a 166, even though I think it is probably the best saloon car from a styling point of view ever designed (and yes I consider a 166 better looking to a 156) ... but Australia only imported automatic 166's, no thanks.

Rather own a completely reliable and cheap to service Toyota/Nissan if I have to go automatic. Even when we bought a second hand (I rarely buy new cars, waste of money) Toyota Tarago (a people mover) I dragged my wife to many car yards before giving up on a manual as it was so rare that an automatic it had to be. That was a great car, even though it was automatic, but not remotely a drivers car just transport.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 08-27-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
My point all along has been to encourage potential owners of a Giulia to more carefully consider why they might think they want a manual shift especially if the absence of that option may lead them to reject buying the car entirely.
@Michael Smith. Have you thought for just for a second, that some folks might actually like a manual gearbox and that no amount of "persuasion" is going to change their minds?

Quote:
The Giulia is a truly remarkable high performance car not hindered by the transmission in any respect at all. If you want to drive a new Alfa you will have to change your mind about the suitability of the automatic transmission, no matter which model appeals to you.
So, why don't you have one?
Gordon Raymond likes this.

Brian __________________________________

post #558 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:50 AM

If just one reader changes his or her mind about buying a Giulia despite the limitation of transmission choice my posts will have been useful enough to make the effort worthwhile to me.

We decided against buying a Giulia because it is too big for our needs. This results from the frankly absurd collision protection now mandatory for all passenger cars (but not for all trucks, SUVS or crossovers).

The same sized car on the inside (the Giulia is a lot smaller inside than the 164 for example) is much, much larger on the outside than it used to be.

Had FCA chosen to build a Giulietta sized Giulia we would have bought one. Instead the only car currently available was a new four door Mini. It is symptomatic of the problems created by our current obsession with passive safety that this latest Mini is mini in name only.

This issue should be the main concern for car enthusiasts. Ridiculously demanding passive safety regulations are predicated on the belief that severe accidents are inevitable. This is patently untrue. Almost all performance cars are now seriously handicapped by these rules. Lotus, Renault Alpine and Alfa all build just one truly light sportscar. Porsche's lightest sportscars weigh more than 1300 kg. That's nearly 3,000 lbs of steel to carry only two people. All other cars are much much heavier than they need to be. (For the truly picky I advise that a Smart car isn't, smart or a car).

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-28-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #559 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:00 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
The same sized car on the inside (the Giulia is a lot smaller inside than the 164 for example) is much, much larger on the outside than it used to be.
So, it's ok for you to purchase another make and model of car based on size, but it's not ok for one of us not to buy an Alfa based on a a feature we don't like. Is that right?

post #560 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:05 AM

"This issue should be the main concern for car enthusiasts. Ridiculously demanding passive safety regulations are predicated on the belief that severe accidents are inevitable. This is patently untrue. Almost all performance cars are now seriously handicapped by these rules. Lotus, Renault Alpine and Alfa all build just one truly light sportscar. Porsche's lightest sportscars weigh more than 1300 kg. That's nearly 3,000 lbs of steel to carry only two people. All other cars are much much heavier than they need to be."

Richard Foster saw it coming, with a few embellishments (the inspiration for Rush's "Red Barchetta")...

https://www.mgexp.com/article/nice-drive.html

Jim: '17 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport/Performance; '92 Spider Veloce; '12 Honda Odyssey family hauler; '18 Mustang GT (because Alfa doesn't sell manuals anymore)

Last edited by Rutlefan; 08-28-2018 at 07:20 AM.
post #561 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well I held out for almost two years on buying a new Giulia due to the gearbox issue. I did go spend 8 weeks in Napoli this summer though, which is right next to the Cassino plant. I saw at LEAST one Giulia every day, but usually two or three. The looks grew on me until I couldn't resist anymore. I own 8 cars, and 7 are manual shift and I am extremely pleased with the automatic on the new Giulia. In dynamic mode it seems to be in the gear I would choose 90% of the time, which is tremendous for a computerized shifter. It even holds gears going into corners to help you engine brake and the kickdown is lightning fast. I'm going to be adding paddle shifters as soon as I can find someone with the Leonardo software to activate them. To Ossodiseppia, it is perfectly okay for you to not buy the car based on the gearbox, but do try it out and see what you think. I would consider myself to be the utmost of purists when it comes to shifting for myself, but the new Giulia was a big surprise and I absolutely love the car even on my backroads drive into work each day. (Not to mention this is the first car I have ever bought that my wife is genuinely excited about).
Michael Smith likes this.

Jonathan
1992 164S, 1974 GTV, 1967 Saab 96, 1969 Jaguar XKE Coupe
post #562 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Michael, WHY would it be "worthwhile to you? Are you a paid advertiser? If so you MUST UPDATE your user profile and your BB subscription rate will change. Please advise.
Gordon Raymond BB moderator

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #563 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:32 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfisti164l View Post
Well I held out for almost two years on buying a new Giulia due to the gearbox issue. I did go spend 8 weeks in Napoli this summer though, which is right next to the Cassino plant. I saw at LEAST one Giulia every day, but usually two or three. The looks grew on me until I couldn't resist anymore. I own 8 cars, and 7 are manual shift and I am extremely pleased with the automatic on the new Giulia. In dynamic mode it seems to be in the gear I would choose 90% of the time, which is tremendous for a computerized shifter. It even holds gears going into corners to help you engine brake and the kickdown is lightning fast. I'm going to be adding paddle shifters as soon as I can find someone with the Leonardo software to activate them. To Ossodiseppia, it is perfectly okay for you to not buy the car based on the gearbox, but do try it out and see what you think. I would consider myself to be the utmost of purists when it comes to shifting for myself, but the new Giulia was a big surprise and I absolutely love the car even on my backroads drive into work each day. (Not to mention this is the first car I have ever bought that my wife is genuinely excited about).
... but if the FCA imported the manual version you would have bought the manual and would then be posting on how great the gear change is, etc.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #564 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Gold Subscriber

I don’t think that argument works Pete. FCA didn’t import them and he didn’t buy one. It’s a “what if?” situation like what if I’d chosen a different path in life. Circumstances lead to him buying a car he loves. That’s how life often works.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #565 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The looks grew on me until I couldn't resist anymore. I own 8 cars, and 7 are manual shift and I am extremely pleased with the automatic on the new Giulia.
Congratulations Alfisti164l

Note that itís human nature to just buckle to commercial limitations and make compromises in life, no drama.
Iíve driven the new Giulia several times and as in my original post said that itís awesome, but iím not going to compromise as there are still many brands that still produce manuals for the drivers that want one.

Itís squarely on FCA that if they want my money theyíll have to produce a manual version Alfa, itís that simple.

Saluti
Sergio

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #566 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:37 PM

UOTE=Sketchl;8308116]Congratulations Alfisti164l

Note that it’s human nature to just buckle to commercial limitations and make compromises in life, no drama.
I’ve driven the new Giulia several times and as in my original post said that it’s awesome, but i’m not going to compromise as there are still many brands that still produce manuals for the drivers that want one.

It’s squarely on FCA that if they want my money they’ll have to produce a manual version Alfa, it’s that simple.

Saluti
Sergio[/QUOTE]

Alfa makes manual Giulia, for the different markets. I would not blame FCA, I would blame 92% of customers in your country that prefer automatic in this class. There is no any reason to design, make and homologate Giulia with manual gearbox for such a niche market as Australia.

368 cars has been sold in Australia in 7 month of 2018. Do you think if manual was available this number would be 1000? No, because in Australia only 8-9% cars have manual gearbox. Sergio, do you think should be a reason to design such a car for hypothetical 50 units of sales per year?

About USA/Canada. 7220+349 = 7569 cars in 7 month. Fewer than 3 percent of cars sold in the U.S. these days have stick shifts. It means Giulia in manual version can be sold in 390 units per year. Three hundred ninety cars for North American car market. Does anyone from adepts of manual here thought about these numbers? Does it make any sense to design, certify and promote a car that can be sold in 390 units per year?

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 08-28-2018 at 03:55 PM.
post #567 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
I don’t think that argument works Pete. FCA didn’t import them and he didn’t buy one. It’s a “what if?” situation like what if I’d chosen a different path in life. Circumstances lead to him buying a car he loves. That’s how life often works.
I'm confused ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #568 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
British colonies still drive on the left hand side of the road: UK, India, Southern Africa, Australia and Japan of course (approx 2.77 billion people!) I wouldn't class as small market if you had half a marketing degree......
Attached Images

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!

Last edited by Sketchl; 08-28-2018 at 04:02 PM.
post #569 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
British colonies still drive on the left hand side of the road: UK, India, Southern Africa and Australia of course (approx 2.77 billion people!)
All of these countries has own standards, cars should be certified, crash tested, etc... FCA should certify every model, not a family of cars.
FYI, 7 month sales in UK - 1164, Australia - 768, Hong Kong - 3, Ireland - 35, Japan - 890, New Zealand - 45, South Africa - 18. Total = 2923 cars in 7 month. Lets say the share of manual cars is 8%. Again we are talking about 400 cars in year for approx 2.77 billion people.

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 08-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #570 of 884 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
@alfisti164l, my fetish is a station wagon. I dumped my 2007 Audi Avant with an MT6 this past November and picked up a 2018 Allroad. I really thought I could get used to the gearbox, but I am struggling with it. It also has paddle shifts. I have driven it in all modes and just can't seem to get used to it. I think the gearbox is just as high tech as that which is in the Giulia, but I am just really turned off with it. This is my first automatic.

I just don't see the manufacturers making a manual gear box for much longer. Demand is decreasing and safety regulations are increasing. Remember, in the US, both the automatic and manual versions of the car have to be crash tested. This adds to the costs of production and most companies can't justify the expense just to sell a few cars.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode