Want manual giulia.... - Page 34 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 AM

Gepetto, I was at the NY Auto Show and had exactly the same conversation with the Alfa rep. Very telling. Shame they won't listen.

Sketchl, about other brands with a manual available, BMW and Audi fake their engine sound. No manual is truly sad, but faking the engine sound is beyond reprehensible!
Gepetto likes this.

2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 Performance, 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S, 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2007 Jaguar XJ8, 2018 Audi Q7 (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedraser View Post
Gepetto, I was at the NY Auto Show and had exactly the same conversation with the Alfa rep. Very telling. Shame they won't listen.

Sketchl, about other brands with a manual available, BMW and Audi fake their engine sound. No manual is truly sad, but faking the engine sound is beyond reprehensible!
Who knows maybe they will listen. Though it's understandable that the bottom line has to come first...

My GTI also "fakes" the engine sound with something called "Soundaktor". It actually increases the volume of it. I had a local VW person deactivate it for me electronically (everything is software these days), as well as enhance a few other things (on/off switch for DRL's, changing how the rear turn signals operate, etc) that stunk from the factory. With the "soundaktor" off, the car actually sounds ok, if a little muted.
post #498 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"I may be going in 2 weeks, actually. What auto rental company did you use? I'm debating just using mass transit there, and I'm only going to Sicily and as I recall the drivers there are a special kind of crazy..."

We used AutoEurope, called them up ahead of time before the trip and specifically requested the Alfa Giulietta, to be picked up at the Rome airport at a certain time, certain day. They said ok, we will reserve that specific car for you for about an hour at our airport booth. We showed up, said our names, they laughed, oh yes, the guy who wants the Alfa, and handed us the keys. They basically said they understood why an Alfa nut from the US would want to drive the car, in Italy, lol.

We did drive down the west coast to Sicily, Staying here and there, where we stayed for about a week on the island after taking the ferry across to Messina, attending a wedding, and taking a multiday drive around the island. We had zero problems with the drivers there, a lot easier than trying to drive in a big city such as Rome or Naples.

We basically drove from Milazzo where the wedding was down to Catania, stopping first at Taormina to see Mt Etna, and then to Syracuse and then Ragusa (and Ibla where some of the Montalbano series is filmed) for a day and night, and then pretty much west along the coast and then inland to near Trapani, staying in several places along the way to see the sights such as the temples in Agrigento, and the Temple of Segesta, then back through Palermo along the north coast (boring drive) back to Milazzo. Finally drove to the Catania airport to drop off the car, and fly back to Rome.

No problems with driving in Sicily. We didn't think the driver were wild and crazy, but if you drive in the big cities, you do have to pay attention. Generally, everyone pretty much would watch what other drivers were doing, and you had to be a little assertive to let them know what you wanted to do, but they would generally make the room.

We used Rick Steve's tour book on Italy. A great book, worked well for sightseeing, although I don't remember how much he covered Sicily. We also spent some time on the web, checking out places to see and stay, and where restaurants were. For restaurants, though, we pretty much winged it.
Gepetto likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 08-16-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #499 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
That is false. BMW offers a 6 speed manual on the M3 in Germany (as well as the lower-spec 3 series). Check the German configurator for yourself:

https://www.bmw.de/de/ssl/configurat...//F30/esl/new/

https://www.bmw.de/de/ssl/configurat...//F82/esl/new/
In Europe Alfa offers manual for diesel Giulia as well. Also in Germany you still can buy Giulia QV with manual gearbox from dealers stock.

I just cannot get why to complain being in Europe

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #500 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
In Europe Alfa offers manual for diesel Giulia as well. Also in Germany you still can buy Giulia QV with manual gearbox from dealers stock.

I just cannot get why to complain being in Europe

But with MY19 you can only order AT8 gearboxes . Manual shifters are history even here in Europe. For The whole range.
The V6 Qs you find in Germany at some dealers are production 2017 or even 2016!

Saluti da Germania

Ralph
post #501 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta776126 View Post
But with MY19 you can only order AT8 gearboxes . Manual shifters are history even here in Europe. For The whole range.
The V6 Qs you find in Germany at some dealers are production 2017 or even 2016!
Seems then that now is the last chance to get a new manual shifter Quadrifoglio, or let the idea of getting a manual go.

The new GTV6 based on the Giulia, being a hybrid, most certainly will not have a manual option at all. Just full of electronics!

G.
post #502 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

No new cars for me I guess, esp at my age, lol.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #503 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:57 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
End result of this thread is that the car enthusiast is not even considered by a brand like Alfa Romeo when designing modern cars. Why anybody on this site even considers buying a modern car baffles me (4C was the last) ... it will not full satisfy your requirements.

The day of the car enthusiast is well and truly over. The world's population is being prepared for the electric car and also more importantly, having decisions removed from them. The autonomous car is beyond scary, we are looking at the majority of the world's population for the first time being completely under the control of large corporations and governments ... how long will it be before the boffins decide that the worlds issues are caused by over population (which is correct) and a really simple way to reduce it somewhat is to automatically lock 50% of the worlds cars and set them on fire or something. Just like a Dr Who or Avengers episode/movie ...
Pete
Gepetto likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 08-18-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #504 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Boy Pete, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

You may be interested to know that we and other Alfa clubs around the world have been contacted by Alfa to gather details for a register of clubs.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).

Last edited by oz3litre; 08-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #505 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I'd hate to think you are correct, but in some ways, we are slowly going there, but not for a long time yet I think. Although, cities in Europe are talking about banning diesel engines by ~2030, and internal combustion engines later. It is felt that diesel is dead. There are basically no new diesel vehicle designs coming down the road in the near future. And not long after that, some cities are talking about banning gasoline internal combustion engines, period.

I remember an old story titled, IIRC, "The Last Ferrari" where such cars had been outlawed because they were ruled bad for the environment, and basically, Mankind. One "outlaw owner" still had one hidden, and he took out for a spirited run in the night on mountain roads, eventually chased by the authorities. He ended up running it off the road over a cliff, just because. The authorities went away satisfied that the "last Ferrari" was finally gone.

One dark night later, a light is seen at the bottom of the cliff, where someone is furtively picking up parts of the car here and there, to eventually have it live again.
PSk likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 08-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.
post #506 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Boy Pete, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?
That is how ridiculous it is to me for the premier car enthusiast brand to be removing items that are critical to car enthusiasts from their vehicles ... makes me think that it is all over. I have no problem with say Volvo only offering automatics or even autonomous cars, but Alfa Romeo ... ***???
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 08-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.
post #507 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Pete, I think manual gearbox nowadays can be considered as carburetor in a past. Days of carburetors is over for modern cars, the same will happened in the nearest feature with manual gearboxes. It's life.

Subtle likes this.
post #508 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Pete, I think manual gearbox nowadays can be considered as carburetor in a past. Days of carburetors is over for modern cars, the same will happened in the nearest feature with manual gearboxes. It's life.

I spent more years than I care to mention working on and owning cars with carbies until I bought the 1995 SAAB 9000 turbo in 2001, followed by EFI Alfas. Now that I understand EFI, I love its efficiency and reliability and wouldnít go back. Carbies have their charms but I couldnít be bothered with them these days. I think we willl be driving petrol cars for many years to come, especially in huge countries like Australia. With this new innovation the CSIRO here has come up with for storage of hydrogen, I would be surprised if someone doesnít do conversions on petrol cars one day like they do with LPG.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #509 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 PM
PSk

Quote:

Not quite the same as other than the manual choke on some carbs, there was little change to interactions with the driver, but yes I can see how technology improvements made fuel injection work and are now making good automatic transmissions.

I have a cold/flu and it's been a couple of weeks ... can't work on the GTV because I'm grumpy ... lol
Pete
... I'll just go and sit in the 156v6 for a minute, and run a hand along the front guard of the GTV ...
Subtle and Max Pershyn like this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 08-18-2018 at 11:25 PM.
post #510 of 883 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:26 PM

Just back from a road trip in the automatic Mini. Mountain roads. Excellent. Not a manual shift needed for the whole trip. Sport is a good setting for overtakes. Still automatic shifting, just different shift points. D is for good fuel economy. Sport is not good for fuel economy. There is also a fuel economy setting, didn't use it. Not good for actually driving the car.

My point throughout is not that aficionados of manual gearboxes are some kind of blockhead. My point is that rejecting a truly great car solely because it doesn't come with a now antiquated manual gearbox is being blockheaded about progress.

By all means buy yourself a manual gearbox equipped car, I did (although I did so only because the automatic version was deliberately handicapped by the factory specifying incorrect gearing specifically so it would be slower than the manual shift version!!!). Just don't do so under the illusion that it will produce a more satisfying driving experience than one of the new automatics. It just won't. Really.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-21-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode