Want manual giulia.... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 PM

I would only ever consider a new Giulia if it had a manual 6 speed gearbox. I've never owned an automatic except for my pickup truck, and I don't get why anyone would bother with paddles on an automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I test drove the new Giulia, and as far as the transmission was concerned, it was no different than our rental Chevy, except for having the flappy paddles, which I decided could be considered unneeded. In other words, meh.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #18 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:19 PM

I do not know about plans of making Alfa Romeo with manual in a future. MiTo will die soon as a mistake. C-SUV will not have manual gearbox with good engines. E-SUV and Stelvio will never get gear stick. Next Giulietta? There is no chance to see this car in North America. New Specialty (6C)? NO, never get a manual. Giulia Coupe will have the same mechanical part as Giulia. 4C second series? No chance at all.

So let's consider the brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti?

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 06-02-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:08 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
Automatic by Aisin. Manual, M40, were taken from Opel Vectra. Engines of 159 were GM units with Alfa Romeo-FIAT heads.

156 had cast iron FIAT engine block with Alfa head. Manual gearboxes were FIAT and Q-system supplied by Aisin.
No post 1960 159 for me!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post

156 had cast iron FIAT engine block with Alfa head. Manual gearboxes were FIAT and Q-system supplied by Aisin.
except v6
Max Pershyn likes this.

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #21 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
Next time I go to Italy (maybe later this year), I may try to rent a diesel Giulia with manual just to see how it is.
And you will be disappointed compared to the AT gearbox.

Saluti da Germania

Ralph
post #22 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:37 AM

Here in Norway you can choose LHD Giulia Q With 6 speed manual or 8 speed Automatic. Although initially I wanted the manual, I think I now would have the paddleshift 8 speed because its quicker shift function. Having shifted manually a lifetime its time to advance to more modern solutions. Here Chris Harris´experience with the manual shift: not impressed at all!

G.
post #23 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

First of all, no one wants a car with a crummy manual transmission. If Fiat/Alfa can't get it right with the Giulia, then I most likely wouldn't want it either. As for the attributes of the automatic, it provides super quick automatic shifting for those who want that, but doesn't provide the physical interaction/brain sensations others like.

Some like classical music, others like hip hop, but either isn't necessarily the chosen cup of tea for all. One might argue that hip hop is more modern, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the chosen style of music for all, as the automatic transmission fans seem to think a car transmission should be. There are aspects to be appreciated for both styles/designs.

Me, I don't see a Giulia in our future. Too much money for something I will not really appreciate, since I don't drive on the street in a manner which would take advantage of the one/single positive aspect of the automatic, quick shifting sans meaningful driver interaction.

"So let's consider the brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti?"

Maybe so.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #24 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM

With so few cars makers offering manual gearboxes, Alfa would have done better to cater to the enthusiast. Unlike German auto makers whose buyer is mainly driven by brand status, Alfa Romeo can't afford to neglect their core customer base. They should offer a manual gearbox and aim it at those who can't get it from the German brands.
post #25 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
First of all, no one wants a car with a crummy manual transmission. If Fiat/Alfa can't get it right with the Giulia, then I most likely wouldn't want it either. As for the attributes of the automatic, it provides super quick automatic shifting for those who want that, but doesn't provide the physical interaction/brain sensations others like.

Some like classical music, others like hip hop, but either isn't necessarily the chosen cup of tea for all. One might argue that hip hop is more modern, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the chosen style of music for all, as the automatic transmission fans seem to think a car transmission should be. There are aspects to be appreciated for both styles/designs.

Me, I don't see a Giulia in our future. Too much money for something I will not really appreciate, since I don't drive on the street in a manner which would take advantage of the one/single positive aspect of the automatic, quick shifting sans meaningful driver interaction.

"So let's consider the brand has already died for "pure" Alfisti?"

Maybe so.
When BMW uses Getrag and ZF journalists tell us it is a perfect combination. When the same components appear in Alfa journalists try to convince us the gearboxes are awful...
Giulia has the same manual gearbox as BMW

Regarding QV. How sweet should be the gearbox in 600Nm car? Light clutch and precise shifts? It is just impossible to create in my opinion.
post #26 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfistaa View Post
With so few cars makers offering manual gearboxes, Alfa would have done better to cater to the enthusiast. Unlike German auto makers whose buyer is mainly driven by brand status, Alfa Romeo can't afford to neglect their core customer base. They should offer a manual gearbox and aim it at those who can't get it from the German brands.
Let's be honest. Sorry for the question. How old are you?
As I understand typical Giulia buyer is 40-50 years old. Perhaps you are not in target group Different generations want different gadgets.

SORRY
MDriver likes this.
post #27 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Different generations want different gadgets"

Lol, thus the addiction to smart phones by the younger set, whereas I know how to live without one.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #28 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Paddles with a DCT do provide the sensations, not quite the same as a clutch, but another type of game that is pretty dam satisfying. Paddles with an auto have never provided much of a thrill at all of me. I have not driven the GQ.

87 Maserati Biturbo Spider since new, 13 Abarth 500
16 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
post #29 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:39 PM

With the paddle shift you can shift as fast or as slow you wish, dont have to be a racedrive every time!

However if you want to shift fast just see Fabio Francia taking the car to Nürburgring! Almost flying off a couple of places, but main impression is how much more effective paddle shift is compared to stick shift! Just enjoy the ride which most of would not dare!
Objective of the ride was to beat Porsche Panamera´s time on the ring.

G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZMB...#t=183.8464381
post #30 of 884 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:28 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Changing gear utilising the paddles when the car is an automatic is the ultimate definition of being a wanker. Put the thing in D and just drive the flipping car. You have bought an automatic, let the car's computer do the changes and hope you have the coordination left to steer, and push a couple of pedals.

Honestly every automatic I have driven with the ability to manual shift are just a joke ... I happily put them in D, open my window, put my arm up on the door and cruise on by.

I'm 49 years old, I get the reason for buying an automatic but will never get the want for a ROAD car to have paddles. Race car yes but gee so many of us laugh at young boys ricing up their first cars and then buy a ROAD car with paddle shift and for some reason want to be taken seriously ... ? ... you are a being a bigger ricer because you have the funds and maturity to do it properly and yet still worry about how fast your gear changes are as you go up to the local shop to get a loaf of bread .... hahahahahahahahah ... do you put a replica of Michael Schumacher's helmet on too to complete the "I am a tool" look?

And yes every time I blip on a down change with my 156v6, I'm being a tool too
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 06-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode