clacking noise until clutch depressed? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

clacking noise until clutch depressed?

Well, what's my next project? I have a clatter/clacking/knocking noise emanating from the clutch/transmission (front) of my Alfetta transaxle. The clatter stops when I depress the clutch pedal. Is my throwout bearing going?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

That's possible, or the fork could be slapping around in there for some reason or another. (maladjusted linkage, worn, cracked, pivot ball arm bent, etc.)

Just guessing mind you.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Doesn't a failing throwout bearing make a horrible whine/screech rather than a rattle/clattering?

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 AM

My dead throwout bearing made a grinding noise, when the clutch was engaged, but stopped when the pedal was pressed.

See "pulling transmission" thread.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks, good thread! I don't have a squeal or grind, just that rattle- will continue to snoop around in search of information, in the meantime I'll just "fly it and watch it".

Jim
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 AM

I had the same rattling noise on my 115 gt junior..... only rattles in neutral at rpm below 600. when depress clutch pedal, noise goes away.

Is it transmission problem?
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Alfa front transes can make a fair amount of noise in neutral. My Super's trans, rebuilt a couple years ago and always working fine, has always sounded a bit rattly in neutral. Fine in gear, and with the clutch depressed. Because the transaxle is designed along the same lines, it wouldn't surprise me if they made noise too.

In general, bad TO bearings make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Andrew
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Alfa front transes can make a fair amount of noise in neutral. My Super's trans, rebuilt a couple years ago and always working fine, has always sounded a bit rattly in neutral. Fine in gear, and with the clutch depressed. Because the transaxle is designed along the same lines, it wouldn't surprise me if they made noise too.

In general, bad TO bearings make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Andrew
Will it cause any other parts to fail if the TO bearing is not replaced?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

You could eventually end up wrecking the fingers on the pressure plate and/or the clutch fork.

If things got bad enough, it could potentially even damage the trans shaft it rides on.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Front-trans TOs can also get cocked against the TO bearing fork, a situation that tends to make itself worse, ruining the TO bearing, the fork, and the release tube, which I think is the same thing Tifosi is referring to. The clutch pedal gets progressively harder to depress. Again, dunno if this is a failure mode on the transaxle cars.

Andrew
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Release tube, trans shaft, quill shaft, the pipe that the TO bearing slides for and aft on.

It's all good

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys for the explaination... I have noticed this noise since my first day of ownership 7 years ago. Recently the noise is getting louder.

I will get it fixed soon.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have a silly question ... Is the transmission fluid low?

1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L <- Free to a good home
Melrose, MA
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

No such thing as a silly question if you're asking me I did just replace the fluid with Redline, and will double check the level. Maybe I got distracted by the Rube Goldberg garage floor oil change pump I devised.
I drilled two holes in the cap of the trans fluid bottle, pushed clear plastic tubing into each hole (one was long enough to reach the bottom of the fluid bottle) then ran one tube to the trans fill port, the other to my small air compressor. Used a clamp to hold open the air compressor just enough to make the bottle swell up a bit when the pressurized air rushed in, and voila! fluid began travelling from the bottle up through the tubing to the transmission. I then went about other business in the garage, stopping once in a while to check if the tubing was clear- that meant the bottle was empty and it's time to change the cap/tubing over to the next full bottle.

Jim
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 AM

dum question #2

re: Bearing removal from clutch cover: What tool do you use to remove the C clip holding in the front bearing. my cheap-o ring ring pliers pliers just bend before that clip can be removed. The last time I changed that bearing the cover had broken, so I just hacksawed the neck off and the clip was easier to get at. The next time (probably in the next 12 months) I may just give it to my machine shop and pay him.

coment: Jim - pressurize the bottle, great idea! Got to remember that one.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode