Pulling transmission - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This thread of yours has turned into the 'Transmission Club'.

Once complete, we must revisit this thread annually giving a cursory update on our driving habits and tell-tale signs emanating from our cars most complex device, the Transmission!

Good luck to all, and to all a good night!

1981 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA
1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

You guys, I spent $385 for a trans shop to redo my gears/dogs/synchro sleeves. I supplied the other trans I bought from junk yard in Wisconsin a while back, which was in even better shape than my car!! They yanked the good stuff from the other, and picked the best sleeves, buffed the burs off the dog teeth, etc. Nice work. Car shifts like butter now. The addl trans costed only $200 plus UPS. I spent $100 on 3 synchro rings, and a few more dollars for seals, etc.
post #63 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Of course, I did all the other work.....remounting, sealing, etc. Why would I farm out all that fun?? You thionk I am crazy to farm that out?? LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I don't mind swinging a wrench. But, I want to drive this car, THIS summer.

If I had a summer or two under my belt with my Spider, I'd probably have some fun and attempt the entire rebuild myself (saving $$$). But I'm dying to drive all over California with the wife SOON and take in some sun, vino and fun. I'll gladly pay a pro like Santo to do the job right for me, the first time (It would take all summer for me to rebuild it for the first time.)

When I get it back from his shop, I'll just plug it in, bolt up the drive shaft and hook up the exhaust.

Then we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til Uncle Sam takes my money away (April 15th 2009)!

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SpiderWebb; 05-16-2008 at 06:31 PM.
post #65 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 AM

I hear ya...but you neednt worry that this job takes so long, as it doesnt. I mean, yeah, it will be a couple of weeks, but a lot of that time will be spent just waiting for the shop to redo your imput shaft. It certainly wont take all summer, as you say.........

Anyway, you know your schedule best. Good Luck, spid.
post #66 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
I hear ya...but you neednt worry that this job takes so long, as it doesnt. I mean, yeah, it will be a couple of weeks, but a lot of that time will be spent just waiting for the shop to redo your imput shaft. It certainly wont take all summer, as you say.........

Anyway, you know your schedule best. Good Luck, spid.
You don't know me.

Work a little. Read alot. Take a break. Go on a vacation. Forget where you put that part. Run out of money at the time you need it most. Dream too much and start tearing too much off of the area of interest.

It would take at least an entire summer.

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #67 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Ah.... finally. I got my transmission back in, with all bottom bolts on! Over the next couple of days, I'll get the bolts on the top of the bell housing back on. I should be able to drive it within the week!

The keys I found to getting the transmission joined to the engine were these:

1. Use the transmission jack, slowly. Feel around, look at the angles, as it gets higher, it'll have to get closer, slowly... slowly.

2. Jack up the front of the engine until the rear-top of the engine (valve cover) is almost touching the firewall. Be careful of hoses streaching.

3. The angle is critical, I found that the ring gear of the flywheel can used in reference to the bell housing to get the angles right.

4. Make sure the transmission is straight up and down, I had to start over when I realized my transmission was rotated two or three degrees relative to the engine.

5. If you get the angle and rotation right, it takes almost no force, and just a little wiggling to get it in.

I didn't have to drop the y-pipe, I just disconnected it from the rear section of the exhaust, so that I could use a jack to jack up the front of the engine.
post #68 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburrows View Post
Ah.... finally. I got my transmission back in, with all bottom bolts on! Over the next couple of days, I'll get the bolts on the top of the bell housing back on. I should be able to drive it within the week!

The keys I found to getting the transmission joined to the engine were these:

1. Use the transmission jack, slowly. Feel around, look at the angles, as it gets higher, it'll have to get closer, slowly... slowly.

2. Jack up the front of the engine until the rear-top of the engine (valve cover) is almost touching the firewall. Be careful of hoses streaching.

3. The angle is critical, I found that the ring gear of the flywheel can used in reference to the bell housing to get the angles right.

4. Make sure the transmission is straight up and down, I had to start over when I realized my transmission was rotated two or three degrees relative to the engine.

5. If you get the angle and rotation right, it takes almost no force, and just a little wiggling to get it in.

I didn't have to drop the y-pipe, I just disconnected it from the rear section of the exhaust, so that I could use a jack to jack up the front of the engine.
Thanks for the tips. I can use them.

Gadwhite, sorry for soaking up all this bandwidth on your thread. It's been fun that there are 4? on this bb pulling transmissions at the same time! But this started out about your pretty machine and it's journey to happy gear changes.

How goes your battle?

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SpiderWebb; 05-17-2008 at 03:19 PM.
post #69 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Parts today

Well if IAP is true to their word I should have the Clutch and Pressure plate today. Last night I pulled and replaced the pilot bushing, and partially installed my new master cyl. I took my time and got the measurement to exactly 134mm ( from the front of the housing to the back of the pin opening on the pivot shaft). Tonight I will resurface/deglaze the flywheel, and finish installing the master cyl.

[B]1985 Spider Veloce (Isabella),[/B]
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
post #70 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM

gadwhite, how are you deglazing your flywheel?
post #71 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
flywheel deglazing

eburrows
Going to use 2 inch sanding disk with 50 grit to go over the flywheel Will post pictures.

post #72 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Update

They found a broken 1st gear and stuff. I could have gone with the cheaper used replacement gear, but chose a brand new one. Hey, when am I gonna be back inside this thing?

Aluminum Flywheel is on order. When it arrives they'll send it out to be balanced with the new Sach's pressure plate (new pressure plate bolts too!). The driveshaft is complete and fully rebuilt. It's out for balancing. The exhaust downpipe, cast iron manifold and smog pipes and valves are cleaned, fixed and out for painting with Hi-Temp black paint.

To be completed by next Friday.
I'm nearly there...
Final damages should be around $3k.

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #73 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Well last night I finished with the real heavy lifting.... Sigh.

With my wife's help, for the top, driver's side bell-housing bolt, I got all the bell-housing bolts in. The clutch is reconnected, and needs to be bled, reverse switch and grounding strap are reconnected, and the drive shaft and exhaust are all reconnected.

I'm bruised and battered, and I want to find the guy that designed the bolt locations on these cars.... but I think I might drive tomorrow! I just have to do the clutch bleed, put the airbox back in, and reassemble the console. Not too bad! Only took me two weeks... sigh.
post #74 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Eburrows S C O R E ' S ! ! ! ! !

Quote:
Not too bad! Only took me two weeks... sigh.
Eburrows, congratulations!

Let us know how it drives. In other words, how many smiles per gallon.

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #75 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I just have to do the clutch bleed, put the airbox back in, and reassemble the console. Not too bad! Only took me two weeks... sigh.
I hope I can say the same things by Monday. BTW I'm going to leave the console dissasembled, (except for the Gasket/bellows over the shift housing), and make sure the car runs and shifts before reassembling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode