Pulling transmission - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Don't forget you might need a reamer for that pilot bushing once it's installed.
Tifosi
Can you elaborate. This is my first time doing all of this.

[B]1985 Spider Veloce (Isabella),[/B]
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Once the pilot bushing is driven into place, you'll need to measure the ID and then possibly size the hole using a reamer, otherwise it may end up too tight on the trans shaft and create binding issues.

You'll likely not want to buy a reamer as they are kinda 'spensive and as you'd be getting a specific size as opposed to a whole set, it would likely end up being a one-time-use then sit dormant in your toolbox for the rest of your life. (unless you decided to take up building Alfa 2L engines as a hobby of course)

Better to try and find a local machine or engine shop that'll loan or rent it for the whole 10 minutes you'll actually be using it.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #48 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Reamer

Thanks. I have micrometer that can measure this, but do you know how much clearance around the trans input shaft is needed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

I'll have to dig around on that as I don't have it handy right now, unless of course someone else jumps in with a # first

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #50 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Throwout bearing difference

Quote:
gadwhite, regarding post #38, pic #4, what is that washer looking thing on the front of your throwout bearing?

Do you have a special clutch and pressure plate or something? I don't recall seeing anything like that in any book or replacement part, nor when I had mine apart last year. (I could be utterly mistaken mind you)
Here are the comparison picts for my throwout bearing (new on the left old on the right). Does anyone know why they are different? I am a little worried as the old one is a little taller/thicker than the new due to the collar that sticks out from the front.

Name:  Throwout new and old 1.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  Throwout new and old 2.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  Throwout new and old 3.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  Throwout new and old 4.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  28.0 KB

post #51 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

The one on the left look like what I'm familiar with.

The right one I've never seen the like of, and would even go so far as to say it prolly was messing with your clutch hydraulic setup too justbecause of that extra thickness.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #52 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More PO Clean up

Quote:
The one on the left look like what I'm familiar with.

The right one I've never seen the like of, and would even go so far as to say it prolly was messing with your clutch hydraulic setup too justbecause of that extra thickness.

I agree. More PO damage. I also had a bad pivot arm (welded incorrectly), and that destroyed my master cyl. I already replaced that and as I am doing the clutch I'm replacing the slave, flex line, Master cyl,

post #53 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM

gadwhite,
My original throw-out bearing looks similar to yours, though not exactly the same... I'll post pictures tonight.

-Erik
post #54 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Gadwhite,

I have the same throw out bearing as the one on the left. Pardon the fuzzy cell phone photo.

I dropped my Transmission off at Santo's Italian Car Service in Northridge this morning, and ordered several things: They'll rebuild the transmission with all new syncros, those syncros will be custom lightened (they say another shop provides these), new forks, and certain factory parts that are beefier than the aftermarket items.

I'm also getting a new aluminum flywheel and having them balance the new pressure plate and flywheel together.

The driveshaft gets all new center bearing and support along with new universal joints. I think they balance this as well.

Last but not least, the Smog Devices on my car need tending to. The exhaust manifold has a (1 of 4) broken stud , to be replaced, and the down pipe just after the manifold has to be repaired as well. There are many bad welds (Looks Horrible! ) that need to be fixed. The smog valves will be cleaned and checked. It will all be cleaned and painted.

Good luck Gadwhite, and...

GO GADWHITE GO!!!!

It looks like you will be first to finish. So far yours is looking clean and Neat'O!
Attached Images

1981 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA
1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #55 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM

SpiderWebb,
Your picture of your throwout bearing looks like it has the same kind of damage as mine, with a chunk of metal missing from one of the flats. Does it? Do you know how that happened?
post #56 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
There are metal shavings and dents around the throw out bearing. How it happened is anyone’s guess. I bought the car about a year ago and have driven it only a few times. I have been babying it, but even taking it easy, the throw out bearing slowly began to squeal. When the clutch pedal was pressed, it would start to wail. As soon as pressure was released, it stopped.

It's a mystery as to why it was banged up.

The last time I parked the car the clutch would not operate at all! It was squealing all the time. Was that the fault of the hydraulic system, throw out bearing, bent or broken clutch pivot on the firewall or something else?

It mystifies me.

I have a new clutch pivot, clutch slave (new braided steel line), throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate and pilot bearing.

If it still squeals after this, I'll need a psychiatrist, not a mechanic.

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #57 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebb View Post
Gadwhite,

I dropped my Transmission off at Santo's Italian Car Service in Northridge this morning, and ordered several things: They'll rebuild the transmission with all new syncros, those syncros will be custom lightened (they say another shop provides these), new forks, and certain factory parts that are beefier than the aftermarket items.

I'm also getting a new aluminum flywheel and having them balance the new pressure plate and flywheel together.

It looks like you will be first to finish. So far yours is looking clean and Neat'O!
I have one quick question. what is the $ quote for all of your trans work? I don't think I can do it now, but I am curious.

post #58 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadwhite View Post
I have one quick question. what is the $ quote for all of your trans work? I don't think I can do it now, but I am curious.
Ahem... (clears throat)...

For a rebuilt 5 speed transmission from Italy via IAP you will pay $2,290 plus a refundable $700 core charge if your transmission is still good.

Santo's Italian Car Service quoted me a price of $2,500. and said if they find anymore broken parts inside the price will go up.

Before you faint, here's the deal clincher...

I am getting new race-lightened syncros, forks and good quality factory parts installed. Santo said the factory parts are better/stronger than the aftermarket stuff. Plus, he's selling me a new aluminum flywheel and balancing it with my new Sach's pressure plate. Plus, he's repairing my exhaust pipes and broken stud on my manifold. Plus, plus, plus...

So, all-in-all it's a pretty good deal. Unless the price climbs way above the quote.

1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #59 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Here is the picture of my old (on left) and new (on right) throw-out bearings. You can see they're different, but also different than yours!

post #60 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks

Thanks, I think I'll just proceed, since all of the new stuff came from IAP, it should all go together. I just have to take the glaze of my flywheel, tighten the oil pan bolts ( leaking a little), then put it all together. I'll keep you updated. Hopefully it will get done next week.
spiderbit likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode