• 1 Post By Gordon Raymond
  • 1 Post By Car105
  • 1 Post By DPeterson3
  • 1 Post By ossodiseppia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

source for studs

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to a source for the fine thread M8x1.0 and M10x1.0 studs used on the rear end? I am servicing a '69 GT rear end, installing a LSD, and would like to freshen these studs as part of the service. Any knowledge as to the original material strength: grade 8 or 10? Cheers.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering, Inc. - http://catellusengineering.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I believe they are Grade 8. Most source used from other cases.
CatellusEng likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 AM

Garage
I use belmetric.com as a source for many fasteners.
CatellusEng likes this.

1967 Duetto - owned 40 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. Bel-metric doesn't have them, but I wasn't the first person to call and ask! They tell me that Alfa Romeo had them specially made. They are not standard per DIN 939, for example. Metric Screw and Tool also doesn't have 'em. Sigh. Any other ideas? Cheers,

Kevin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would also estimate the standard Alfa studs were harder than grade 8.8. Much more likely 10-something or 12.9.

When I worked at an Alfa dealer in the 70s, I just ordered studs from the warehouse and had all I needed. I must wonder if such things can be gotten via the modern Alfa dealers, or possibly Afra? AFRA is woeful to deal with, but every now and again they have stock of truly NOS stuff that is in low demand, such as studs, or the end-plugs for Montreal camshafts. Never hurts to ask. What hurts is the subsequent transaction clumsiness.

As for modern dealers, I doubt there's an effective conversion from our old part numbers to whatever they are using now. What might work is looking up the exact dimensions and finding a dealer parts guy that'll let you patrol his catalogs looking for a match. I'd be shocked if we couldn't get a bunch of the 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm stuff that way.
CatellusEng likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Don, thank you. I've sent Afra a note, we'll see what they say. Cheers,

Kevin
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The part numbers should convert to FIAT part number, albeit an old number. However, a good parts guy can come up with the proper part.
CatellusEng likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
They tell me that Alfa Romeo had them specially made.
And who knows the design spec? Proceed with caution.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM

According to the Normalizzati catalog, 2100-05xxx studs were 5.8 class, and 2100-08xxx studs were 8.8 class.
Nothing exotic in material, but the coarse x fine combination is hard to find
I believe the studs may have been originally made to UNI 5913 - standard parts back in the day, but now fairly obsolete.

Joe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
The part numbers should convert to FIAT part number, albeit an old number. However, a good parts guy can come up with the proper part.
Brian, thank you. Can you recommend a good parts guy? I am new to the Italian car world, usually work on the other side of the Swiss Alps. Cheers,

Kevin
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Bad news is that no one seems to have these studs. (Well, no response from Afra, so who knows what they have...) Good news is that I finally took the time to remove one each of the different studs, and they all have "normal" thread pitch on the case end: M8 x 1.25, and M10 x 1.50 for the axle tubes. Problem solved: will use normal pitch studs all round. Bel-metric has studs with the right length on the "short" end, ie, the end that threads into the case or brake backing plate.

Unless one of you tells me that there's a really really compelling reason for fine thread on the sticky-outy end... Thanks for all the ideas, cheers,

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode