Defective Giubo? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 6alfas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Defective Giubo?

Defective, or just difficult? A bit out of round. I was able to install four of the six bolts but I can't get the other two in no matter how hard I try and manipulate things. The last two bolts are about 1/8" off. Open to suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by 6alfas; 05-27-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM

I had a difficult one on my 78 Alfetta GT years ago when I did a drive line overhaul with new center support bearing & rubber mount.
I had to force it on with a pry bar, tag-teamed with some hose clamps and it was fine once I got it on.
No drive line vibration since the 6 steel inserts were in their correct positions, once assembled.
I think the molding and thermal bonding process for these is less than perfect.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978alfa View Post
I had to force it on with a pry bar, tag-teamed with some hose clamps and....
6alfas: Are you aware that you need to compress these things to get the six bolts to line up? Using a couple of hose clamps in series works well, as you can adjust the amount of compression.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM

I fitted one of those Inferior looing Giubos on a customers car,,that he supplied.
Lots off difficulty fitting
Had to ream out the holes in the New Giubo so the bolts would fit through.
And they look rubbish when fitted.
After more than 35 years of fitting original Giubos,,who is selling this rubbish.
Supposedly they are from a FIAT car.
Yesterday,another customer supplied a correct looking guibo that he got from Centerline Alfa.

6alfas,,send that inferior looking part back to the supplier and get a correct one.
I bet some holes are too small for the bolts to fit.

1972 105 GT Veloce 2000
1976 2L Spider
1984 GTV 6 3 litre
1967 GSGT 2 litre
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:26 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Where did you get that? That is a FIAT part that has had the small ears cut off.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
6alfas: Are you aware that you need to compress these things to get the six bolts to line up? Using a couple of hose clamps in series works well, as you can adjust the amount of compression.
It has the compression band on it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Where did you get that? That is a FIAT part that has had the small ears cut off.
Came from Centerline. Perhaps just a defective unit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Home Depot has some very large metal worm gear clamps in their plumbing department. Take the giubo with you to the store. Go to the plumbing department and find an appropriate sized worm gear clamp. Cut the band and put the clamp on it to compress the rubber so that it will fit.

I am not certain of the right sized clamp, but a 6" might be just right.

Brian __________________________________

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:51 AM

Chuck the fixed band on the one in the photo doesn't allow it to be tweaked tighter.. looks more like window dressing.. as stated . you marry two hose clamps together and tighten them uniformly on a triangulated template on the kitchen table.. That one you have looks a little inferior to me as a side note. I din't know these things could get botched in the distribution chain. The 6 metal sleeve bushing look like an afterthought by someone on the Yangzee.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all of the advice.

I called Centerline this morning and talked to Ian. He advised that most of them come from the factory with some distortion like this. The fix is to put a hose clamp over the band and squeeze it a little bit tighter. Worked like a charm. Five of the six bolts lined right up, the sixth needed a little urging but nothing major. It's all put back together but the dark clouds say it's not going for a test drive today.

Chuck
1978alfa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode