Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Defective Giubo?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  6alfas 
#1 · (Edited)
Defective, or just difficult? A bit out of round. I was able to install four of the six bolts but I can't get the other two in no matter how hard I try and manipulate things. The last two bolts are about 1/8" off. Open to suggestions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a difficult one on my 78 Alfetta GT years ago when I did a drive line overhaul with new center support bearing & rubber mount.
I had to force it on with a pry bar, tag-teamed with some hose clamps and it was fine once I got it on.
No drive line vibration since the 6 steel inserts were in their correct positions, once assembled.
I think the molding and thermal bonding process for these is less than perfect.

#4 ·
I fitted one of those Inferior looing Giubos on a customers car,,that he supplied.
Lots off difficulty fitting
Had to ream out the holes in the New Giubo so the bolts would fit through.
And they look rubbish when fitted.
After more than 35 years of fitting original Giubos,,who is selling this rubbish.
Supposedly they are from a FIAT car.
Yesterday,another customer supplied a correct looking guibo that he got from Centerline Alfa.

6alfas,,send that inferior looking part back to the supplier and get a correct one.
I bet some holes are too small for the bolts to fit.

#9 ·
Chuck the fixed band on the one in the photo doesn't allow it to be tweaked tighter.. looks more like window dressing.. as stated . you marry two hose clamps together and tighten them uniformly on a triangulated template on the kitchen table.. That one you have looks a little inferior to me as a side note. I din't know these things could get botched in the distribution chain. The 6 metal sleeve bushing look like an afterthought by someone on the Yangzee.

#10 ·
Thanks all of the advice.

I called Centerline this morning and talked to Ian. He advised that most of them come from the factory with some distortion like this. The fix is to put a hose clamp over the band and squeeze it a little bit tighter. Worked like a charm. Five of the six bolts lined right up, the sixth needed a little urging but nothing major. It's all put back together but the dark clouds say it's not going for a test drive today.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.