Diff fix? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Decision time...

Just spent a few minutes going through the Shop Manual, reading about differential checks. I presume if there are no "sharp edges" indicating pinion or other gear issues, adjustments in that area are unnecessary and I only need to work on the LSD clutch pack. Interestingly, other than advising a "thorough cleaning" the manual has little to say about LSD workings. Richard's advice leads me to believe "bead blasting" of my plates and working surfaces, with addition of shim stock to adjust clearances, should be the only thing that needs to be done to the internals (barring surprises).

His guidance in regard to disassembly of the diff in situ lays out some critical steps that will no doubt make more sense to me if and when...

Well, there's a long winter ahead, and now that my Duramax, LB7 injector project is behind me, this may be my next project.

Just not too keen about laying on the garage floor working sideways during tear down.

Well, if all else fails, there seem to be a few complete axle assemblies on the interweb.

I know there remain some in BB-land who suspect I've overlooked something obvious in the drive train and while I appreciate your advice, I'm reasonably confident my 120k LSD is worn out.

Thanks all, over and out, and I'll report back with developments.

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Removal of the whole diff is max 2 hours. Replacement is about the same. I’d pull the whole magilla, fix it, and replace it. Then figure out what u want to tackle in January!!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The clunk goes on...

Neighbor Scott, who should really know better by now, wandered into my garage today while, as he had suggested, I was fastening a short section of pipe, with one end flattened and drilled, to the differential input. He had posited that hand torque was inadequate to replicate the sound I have been chasing and something capable of applying a sudden, substantial load on the rear end was needed.

I snugged up the pipe and lowered the wheels back onto my ramp. Then, I firmly applied the foot brake and Scott crawled under the car to work the pipe back and forth, while listening for noise...

Other than a muffled sound of gear play from the differential, there was no evidence of anything amiss in the rear axle.
Scott, btw, is a big guy and got some serious "shock" leverage on the pipe.

The next experiment will be to reconnect the drive line and with the rear wheels still on the ramps and the front wheels firmly chocked, begin applying engine torque to the drive train. I'll use a section of 2X4 against the seat to hold the foot brake on and free up my feet for throttle and clutch. I'll also leave jack stands up against the ear axle, then do a trial run to ensure the car is stable. Scott will go under to listen for noise as I carefully bump the drive train, something I had not been able to do alone.

Later...

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Angry How can I put this...?

Well, I'll get right to the point.

After adding 1.4 L of Oreiley's best gear oil to my previously drained differential, I secured the foot brake with a piece of wood, chocked the front wheels and reversed the ramps, with stop bumps forward.

Confident the car was not going anywhere, neighbor Scott stood alongside while I selected reverse, removed any driveline slack and put the transmission in first. I throttled up to about 2k and quickly engaged the clutch, disengaging just before stall. Same thing in reverse. And first. And reverse. And first.

Nothing from the rear. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

5 more minutes of repeating the process, with Scott as far under as he dared, and still no clank, or anything remarkable.

::

Off the ramps and onto the street.

Clunk is gone and trip to a local dirt patch confirmed LSD is fully functional.

In my feeble defense, the last time I R&R'ed diff fluid (and thanks to everyone who resisted making that obvious suggestion) I topped off till oil ran out the fill hole...and no apparent diff leaks since. Gotta say, I didn't measure what came out last week.

Waaaait a minute.

Last summer, when my rear pads began to howl, along with the left pad backing plate contacting the rotor, I found the axle seal to be defective and...wait for it...there was diff fluid on everything.

I'll say no more. Duh...

Lessons learned: Go for the low hanging fruit and assume nothing.

And yes, this has been difficult to admit...

Best.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Garage
Its OK. Us shadetree guys have all been there...trust me!!!! I still learned a lot from this thread.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
http://www.staceyburnsmemorial.com/
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

You are too kind.

Frankly, I was hoping my unfortunate experience would slide down the page and disappear into obscurity..

You are correct in observing that all the excellent member responses were highly informative and although my solution turned out to be painfully simple, in many ways, it was an education!

Best

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 PM

My Dad offered me a few "Life Rules" as I grew up. #1 was about learning -" we never learn from success, only from mistakes".

I know that a lot of my experience follows this rule in the extreme: tried every possible wrong approach until all that was left was the right choice.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode