Gearbox rebuild - 105 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Rebuild at a standstill !!!

I have ordered the dog rings on the 25th of Aug, paid a good $48 to ship two dog rings, and I haven't received them yet.

1971 - 2000 GT Veloce Euro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM

Garage
Who was the vendor???? I usually get a small order n 2 days from Alfaholics.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Who was the vendor???? I usually get a small order n 2 days from Alfaholics.
I only had great service from Alfaholics and ClassicAlfa. Both are exceptional. 2 days and the parts are at my door step.

I wouldn't wish to bad mouth vendors on a public forum. It's the first time I am buying from this vendor and I am very disappointed with the postage costs Vs postage service. Never again unless I need something only this vendor has.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 AM

Speaking of bad service I purchased a spring on EBay for the horn contact on my Sprint gt that was on August 7 he emailed me two weeks later and said the springs are tangled up in a box ten days later I receive message untangled, another 8 days go by and then I am told it will be posted today what do you do? it will be another two weeks in the mail, I couldn't find the spring anywhere else good thing it is a long term project.
Tim
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

I am not sure what to do at this point. Still waiting for the two dog rings to arrive.

From the tracking number the package seems stagnant since the 4th Sept. The vendor replied to tell me it is not in his control, and there is nothing he can do from his end. Quote "there is really nothing we can do at this time because 1) the tracking number is still active and 2) it shows that it is still in transit to you (the destination). If something changes we can initiate an inquiry but we cannot do anything beyond that."

Gearbox is in pieces and the only work I can do is to install the bearings on the lay shaft, and the direct drive shaft (4th gear).

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Update:

After a month waiting, I had lost hope that the 2 dog rings will ever arrive. In the mean time, I had a short business trip to the States and while there I asked the seller (against payment) to send me a second set to the hotel I was staying in. On the same day the parts arrived at the hotel, I received a tracking update on my first shipment that it has arrived at my local post office. On my return home, I picked it up and now I ended with 4 dog rings
Attached Images

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

I forgot to tell you folks that I also got a bearing set, 5th fork, seal for the speedo cable and a magnetize sump plug.

All parts have arrived and assembly time will start tomorrow
Attached Images

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 AM

Great news!

I did this recently and have a couple of cautions on the bell housing seal. I read another thread on here and people cautioned about slicing the input shaft seal on the edge of the spline when you put the bell housing on. I took a wide packaging tape and put one wrap around the spline. I then smeared a couple of drops of gear oil on the tape. The seal glided over it with near zero drag and the tape came right off afterwards. Do not put tape beyond the spline because it will be obstructed by the tube covering the input shaft.

In that other thread somebody suggested filling the input shaft seal with grease to keep the spring in place. My thinking is that I would rather see what is going on so I did not do this. Sure enough, one side of the spring rode up on the inner lip of the seal but did not come completely out. I could easily flick it back down in place with a screwdriver. I would not have seen this if it had been covered with grease.

Last edited by 61SS; 10-08-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61SS View Post
Great news!

I did this recently and have a couple of cautions on the bell housing seal. I read another thread on here and people cautioned about slicing the input shaft seal on the edge of the spline when you put the bell housing on. I took a wide packaging tape and put one wrap around the spline. I then smeared a couple of drops of gear oil on the tape. The seal glided over it with near zero drag and the tape came right off afterwards. Do not put tape beyond the spline because it will be obstructed by the tube covering the input shaft.

In that other thread somebody suggested filling the input shaft seal with grease to keep the spring in place. My thinking is that I would rather see what is going on so I did not do this. Sure enough, one side of the spring rode up on the inner lip of the seal but did not come completely out. I could easily flick it back down in place with a screwdriver. I would not have seen this if it had been covered with grease.

Thanks for the advise.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

The main shaft was fully assembled, axial play and distance between 3rd and 4th teeth measured. All in order.

Here is the final product
Attached Images

Last edited by eas; 10-08-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

I did not anticipate how frustrating it will get to get those 3 beans into position. But in they went, starting from the bottom all the way up to the top topped with some assembly lube.
Attached Images

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

The main assembly went in the casing for a trial fit to make sure the rods are in the right position. I had to temporary close the two half's together to flip the case upright to be able to put in the 3 ball bearings, springs and bolt in the retaining metal plate. This will hold the rods in place for measuring the fork position later.

The retaining metal plate will be removed again to put some RTV between it and the case.
Attached Images

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

The fork/syncro sleeve are measured and placed equidistant from the dog gears on each side and the fork bolted to the rod. The 5th fork/syncro sleeve must be 12.9mm from the face of the dog gears as shown below
Attached Images

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 3 bolts holding the 3 forks to the rods. I did not find these on the manual. Thanks
Attached Images

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
Does anyone know the torque specs for the 3 bolts holding the 3 forks to the rods. I did not find these on the manual. Thanks
Use red loctite and snug up and bend the locktab over. It does not take much to snap the head off.
spydaman likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode