Clutch not working - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Clutch not working

Hi All,

Got a dilemma with the car.

Went to use the car after 2 week not in use. Started the engine, pressed clutch and when I tried to put in first gear, I could not engage gear and heard crunching of gears. It seems like the clutch is not fully depressed.

I have left the car 2 weeks ago in full working condition without any symptoms of anything going wrong.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, I can see the Master cylinder rod/linkage moving in and out. Hydraulic fluid was and is at max level, so no leaks. Clutch pedal pressure seems normal too.

I need to find some time to get under the car to check the slave, but what else could it be if not the slave ?

GT Veloce 2Ltr - Euro 1971 LHD

Thanks

1971 - 2000 GT Veloce Euro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
If slave working OK could be clutch disc froze to flywheel.

If car is in a clear area in front of it, put car in 4th gear and push pedal to the floor and bump key/starter to see if it will break free.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
If slave working OK could be clutch disc froze to flywheel.

If car is in a clear area in front of it, put car in 4th gear and push pedal to the floor and bump key/starter to see if it will break free.

Is it common to have the disc "freeze" to the flywheel in just 2 weeks ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 AM

No.......

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
Is it common to have the disc "freeze" to the flywheel in just 2 weeks ?
Depends on where you live and where the car was stored, since the disks don't "freeze" to the flywheel; they rust to the flywheel. If the car was parked outdoors in a humid environment, then I suppose it could happen in just two weeks.

As 101/105guy notes, it wouldn't happen that quickly in southern California where he and I live (and certainly not in June). But in a place like Virginia where Alfisto Steve lives? Yes, perhaps.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:27 PM

same problem

I have the sane thing going on and just posted about it. I think there's an air bubble that's starting from the master somehow. I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine, but the next day it will n ot travel enough to release far enough to get it in gear. If I bleed it again it's fine again till the next day. I've replaced the slave and know how to bleed the air from a system.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patillack1961 View Post
I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine, but the next day it will not travel enough to release far enough to get it in gear.
I can't tell you exactly what is wrong, but if it feels fine after bleeding, and won't release enough to shift after only a day, then it does sound like some sort of a leak in the hydraulic system. If you are certain that the slave is OK, then the clutch master becomes suspect.

Do you lose fluid in the brake hydraulic system? Are any of the connections in the line between the clutch master and slave weeping?

Quote:
I've replaced the slave and know how to bleed the air from a system.
OK, so you know the slave has to be oriented so the bleed screw is at 12 O'clock.

This is inconsistent with "I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine", but are you sure the weld on your pedal shaft isn't fractured?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-30-2017 at 05:13 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Wink reply

I appreciate the help. I've bled the system 3 or 4 times and it all looks to be good ( no bubbles, firm pressure, no grinding with engine running, car still when in gear and running with clutch pedal in). Next day though, pedal is soft and clutch drags ( car creeps with pedal down and in gear and running, or will grind from neutral to any gear with the pedal down and the car running). Get it? Don't see any leaks or loss of fluid which is clear and new. I think there is a bad seal in the master and fluid is recirculating OR There's a bubble of air in the hose near the connection to the slave. Make sense? Next weekend I'll try to bleed it again at the connection of the hose to the slave ,then at the bleed nipple.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 PM

I would reverse bleed the clutch slave cylinder and if you still have a soft peddle then either the clutch master cylinder is no good or the slave cylinder is no good. A hard peddle and the clutch is still not working probably is a bad pressure plate.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Update with video

I found some time and inspected the slave from under the car.

There is some kind of fluid dripping from the slave cylinder, but it might well could be other kind of fluid coming from somewhere else and ending up dripping from the slave cylinder.

When pressing the clutch pedal, the slave is pushing the clutch fork, but I am not sure if the slave cylinder should push further the clutch fork to disengage the clutch. If the salve is operating as it should than, the trouble is within the Clutch itself

Video of the Slave Cylinder in operation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode