Bushing dances again - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Crackie, if I discovered those gears in a box I was rebuilding, I would be concerned about the striations on the inner walls of the dimpled bronze bushings and the fact that the oil passages on the bushes were no longer aligned with the oil passages on the gears. Clearly a sign that at some point those gears seized up on the shaft, probably due to a lack of adequate lubricant.
I would press those bushes out and replace them, and use Loctite when installing the new ones. Even if you are successful in re-aligning the oil passages of the current bushings (whether by removing and rotating them or just rotating them somehow) or if you leave them where they are and just cut a second set of notches where the gear oil passages are, you will still have those rough scratches or striations on the old bushes that really need to be dressed out, and that minor dressing will certainly increase the ID of the bore.
You have gone this far, you might as well rebuild it right and make sure you won't have to pull the gearbox again in a few years.
Top Down likes this.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

It spun and also moved longitudinally in the gear. The surface of the bushing should not extend above or below the thrust surface (as RJ reminded me).

I’d replace it. Or at a minimum, recenter it and expand to get a tight fit. But as Norse pointed out, if you want a great crisp precision box, don’t leave something like this hanging in the rebuild. Better to make the extra effort. You could also ask RJ (alfar7) as he has decades of experience in this work.
Top Down likes this.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

So what gives me pause about doing the bushings is the bad stories about not being able to find a machine shop capable of this work. Seems like several folks have had to do this job more than once, with non-trivial expense and time, to get it right. If what I have is still serviceable, I am reluctant to open a pandora's box.

But I am still going to talk to a good machine shop here in Portland to get their take.

To that end, a few questions:
  • Do any suppliers still have the "spiral" bushings that often don't need machining? What I see on Centerline, Classic Alfa, Alfa Service and OKP web sites are the "dimple" ones.
  • I think what I am asking the machine shop if they can do is making sure the bushing is perpendicular and straight with no offset at .003-.005, correct?
  • What are you all using to press out the bushings? I often use sockets to press things out. OK in this application, assuming I have one that fits well?

And a different but related rebuild question:
  • What are folks using to replace the shift rod o-rings? And are you getting zero leaks as a result? It was suggested on another thread that Viton O-ring 14 x 2.5mm is a good bet.

Thanks!

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: 30044 Lawrenceville,Georgia..30 miles NNE of Atlanta
AFRA has/had the spiral bushings,but I wouldn't expect them to fit right out of the box.Mine do not slip fit over the shaft or spacer,so still need machining https://www.afra.it/en/cambio/1396-b...mbio-alfa.html
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks alphil.

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode