Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal

A few weeks ago I posted that my ’91 Spider’s gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear and the shift lever is totally immobile. Many helpful members suggested a few things that might help get my transmission out of 3rd and in operation again. Sadly, I must report nothing has worked and after consulting a couple members and Rex Chalmers of Alfasport I am ready to do a “gearboxectomy” and ship it off to Rex to get it fixed. I will do my best to document the removal of the gearbox for those who might be interested. Likewise, any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Below is the patient, operating room and documented suggested procedure for a gearboxectomy.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
ex-'73 GTV (wish I still owned)
ex-'73 deTomaso Pantera (wish I still owned)
ex-'72 Lamborghini Espada (not sure why I ever owned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Bellhousing and starter bolts

Per suggestions by members' threads related to gearbox removal, I decided to remove the upper bellhousing bolts and starter bolts before I got the car off of the ground. Wow...what a chore! I have no idea how I will put them back on when I reinstall the transmission. That will be a feat for a wrist/hand contortionist. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Also, there were no lock washers on the bellhousing bolts. Should there be?

Thanks in advance.

More later

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:58 AM

You can tilt the engine to the rear to create more room to manipulate the bolts of the bell housing. I have done this for a gtv of 1971. However engine bay of this gtv is less crowded though.

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

rafael, thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly give it a try when I reinstall.

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Knee Padding

Of course, I expect nothing to be easy in this process. Before I can drop the transmission I need to remove the front console. Before I remove the front console I need to remove the rear console and knee padding. Before I remove the knee padding I need to remove the carpet on both sides of the front console.

All sounds so simple...and it would have been if my car and the service manual were in sync. I did somehow figure out how to get the carpet and knee padding out. I must admit a lot more muscle was required to get the knee padding out than I would have expected. It will be interesting to see how the reinstall goes.

Also, I need to mention to remove the drivers side knee padding I needed to disconnect the hood release cable which meant if the hood got closed during the process I would be in big trouble trying to get it open. So I installed a wooden block by the latch to keep the hood from ruining my day accidentally (see pic).

Below are a few pics before and after knee padding removal.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Front and rear console

The front and rear console went pretty well...no bid surprises. With everything apart it will give the opportunity to research a couple of other problems...heater and electric mirrors...while my gearbox is getting fixed..

See pics below of the before and after.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Shift lever removal

No surprised here except a torn rubber boot which I will need to find a replacement for. Looks like I'm ready to under the car.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Wood cribs instead of jack stands

I decided to build some wood cribs to sit the car on instead of using my trusty old jack stands. I think the cribs are safer and I could build them to a nice comfortable height to work under the car. Each crib is built in two stages. The first stage is 6 3/4". After I elevated the car to slide the 6 3/4" cribs in, I elevated the car again to slide the second 5 1/4" crib in giving me a total elevation of 12". Now I can work under the car pretty comfortably and feel very secure.

The cribs did take a while to put together and I spent about $30 in lumber but I think they will work quite well for me.

More next time as I move under the car.
Attached Images

Norseman50 and BiancaSpider like this.

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Exhaust & Drain Gearbox

Time to get to work under the car. There are three points where the exhaust is attached: between rear and front muffler, in front of front muffler and at the catalytic converter. I removed the various nuts and bolts to detach the exhaust system from its supports. In doing so the rear muffler was left attached at only one spot and kind of dangled in the way. So I secured the rear of the tailpipe with a couple of bungees to stabilize it.

I also drained the gearbox.

See pics below.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Tie Bar & Front Prop Shaft

Back under the car. The tie bar removal is pretty simple...six bolts and it drops right off. Well, one of the bolts is hidden under the muffler and heat shield. So I discovered I was able to unbolt the five visible bolts and can rotate the tie bar out of the way when I drop the prop shaft.

Now for the front prop shaft. First, I must thank Norseman50 for a great thread "Propshaft rebuild adventure". It is really helpful! In the 2nd picture you will note of dab of white on the hub to help with hub alignment when the reinstall process begins. Many post have noted how difficult the removal of the 4 hub nut/bolts can be and how it is quite easy to round the corners of the nut/nolts. I wholeheartedly agree. I spent about 2 hours removing the 4 bolts. That was after several applications of penetrating oil and an overnight wait. I finally resorted to heat and that did the trick. Also, even though the nut/bolts ate 13mm I would suggest using a 1/2" open end wrench. It is just slightly smaller than a 13mm and reduces the possibility of rounding the corners.

You might take a look at the last picture. Once the bolts are out, the rear prop shaft will drop down and it is quite heavy. I put a metal bar in there supported by the exhaust to support the prop shaft.

More later.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Remove Gearbox Brackets

Got started around noon today. Hope to have the gearbox out later this afternoon.

Start by disconnecting the tach cable...uneventful.

Next came the transmission mount bracket which I forgot to take a picture of. I was bit surprise when I saw what the transmission mount actually looked like...see picture. I assume I need a new one, comments and thoughts welcome.

Next came the bellhousing shield...pretty simple.

All in all, everything pretty much went by the manual.

More to follow.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - More prep work for the big step

Time to drain the clutch master cylinder (simple pump from Harbor Freight worked great). Disconnect the hydraulic line under the bellhousing and drain.

Disconnect backup light wire.

Disconnect ground wire.

Remove two remaining starter bolts.

Remove remaining bellhousing to engine bolts.

All went well...just concerned about getting to the bellhousing and starter bolts when reinstalling.

Gearbox comes out in my next post.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Drop the Gearbox!

This is what I have been waiting for! I cannot believe how much prep work is involved to remove a Spider gearbox. I remember as a kid taking out an MG or Austin Healey gearbox in a couple of hours. Heck, I had at least 3 hours or removing interior trim just to get access to the shift lever bolt in my Spider.

Any way, before I could slide the gearbox out I had to support and raise various parts.

The first picture, I cut a piece of wood to support the rear prop shaft.

The second picture shows a jack under the front prop shaft.

Of course, the third picture is a trusty Harbor Freight transmission jack under the gearbox.

The fourth picture shows a floor jack under the engine to tilt the engine enough to slide the gearbox out.

Once I got it properly supported I slid under and with a little persuasion and lots of wiggling I got the gearbox to slide back. I then simply lowered it as shown in the fifth picture.

I'm happy that I built the wooden cribs to a height that permitted me to easily slide the gearbox out with about 3/4" clearance.

In fact, I must say the wooden cribs made working under the car pretty pleasant because of the nice height and stability.

More to follow.
Attached Images

Norseman50 likes this.

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Gearbox on the workbench

It has taken me about 3 hours today to get the gearbox out and sitting on the workbench. Now I needed to get it prepped to crate up and shipped away.

First, I needed to take the front donut and prop shaft off...pretty simple.

Second, take the bellhousing off which meant first removing the clutch slave, the slave lever, the throwout bearing and the backup light wire. The the six nuts securing the bellhousing... pretty simple stuff. I will need a new boot for the clutch slave though...it was cracked and falling apart.

More to follow.
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Gearbox/Transmission Removal - Degreased for shipping

Well, there it is. My gearbox is out, cleaned and ready to be crated up for an overhaul.

I truly thank all of the members who posted threads and comments to threads related to gearbox removal. All of you sure made the task much easier. It's the little hints that are not included in the service manuals that were unbelievably helpful.

Now I wish someone could convince me that getting the starter and bellhousing bolts reinstalled will be easy!

It's about 4:30, I feel like I got quite a bit accomplished today.

Tomorrow I will crate it up for shipping. I am going to build a wooden crate to ship it in so I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks
Attached Images

Wayne
'91 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode