Alfa rear wheel bearing replacment help/how to/symptoms - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Alfa rear wheel bearing replacment help/how to/symptoms

Hello everyone! I sometimes find myself on this forum for some quick pointers to help the job go a little more smoothly, and to this i say thank you! Here is a little contribution i would like to make to help someone else save some time.

Car 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider

Symptoms: Rear end noise so loud you wanna drive off the bridge

It all started with a sound similar to a loose exhaust clamp. I looked everywhere and could find nothing. Slowly the noise got worse and started at a lower and lower speed. At 50-75mph it no longer sounded like an exhaust clamp. It started to sound like an inconsistent whooshing noise (wowowowowo). I then drove in the far right lane on the highway to locate the sound from the echo off the highway walls. I found that no sound was coming from the rear on the drivers side, and the sound was in fact coming from what sounded like the rear passenger wheel. The noise eventually became unbearable and i was afraid of doing further damage, so i parked it until i could get time to work on it.

That day i called international auto and ordered seals and rear wheel bearings. The guy on the phone gave me a hard time for buying just bearings and said its my rear end... pfft i know better than that... Even in the event it is your rear end, you want to eliminate all possibilities before you spend 1500 on a new differential. From my experience with other cars i have worked on, the differential makes more of a thudding noise when it starts to go bad.

Okay now for the good stuff...
Tools needed
1) Shop press
2) Assortment of press dies
3) Large Impact Sockets 10mm-35mm
4) Torch with map gas
5) Screw driver and socket sets
6) Grease
7) Pb blaster
8) Brakeclean
9) Shop towels
10) anti-seize

Steps for installation of new bearings

1) Spray pb blaster on all hardware you plan on extracting
2) Extract axles from the rear end
3) Remove disk plate and hand brake assembly
4) Press bearing and retaining ring out together to simulate special tool A.3.0394 (see photos). I thought that removing them was much harder then installing them especially when you can only find threads that show installation.This was the setup i made to do so.

Name:  20150822_150824.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  20150822_172605.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  20150822_172550.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  80.6 KB

5) After they have been pressed out, do these preps.

Name:  20150823_095823.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  20150822_190022.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  46.3 KB

Prep shaft with scotchbrite, but only enough to shine and debur. Be sure to chamfer the backside edge of the retaining ring only enough to debur with 320 grit sand paper.
6) Before pressing on the new bearing spray shaft with wd-40 or equivalent make sure you put the spacer, bearing, and retainer in that order.
7) Press in spacer and bearing
8) Press in retainer
9) You can check to make sure everything is pressed in correctly by lifting the stud plate a bit and checking for a gap.

See next thread

Last edited by MadMachinistJoe; 08-23-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

part2

Apply heat when pressing out old bearing and retainer (with pressure). ( sorry i couldn't fit this in the first post

Name:  20150823_094400.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  60.9 KB

Gap check

Name:  20150823_102501.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  68.2 KB

10) Install seals using 35mm socket

Name:  20150823_123452.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  89.4 KB

11) Install Axel assembly
12) I would recommend that you replace the nuts on these studs because the retaining nuts are a real pain in the ***

Name:  20150823_085721.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  78.5 KB

Here is the damage (old bearings) needless to say the car drives great!

Name:  20150823_174850.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  66.5 KB

Last edited by MadMachinistJoe; 08-23-2015 at 06:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:58 AM

Great write up on the change out of the rear wheel bearing Joe, attention to detail is most helpful I know what to do now when I pull the axles on my car for new bearings and seals. Joe is it the light retaining nut on the stud that was hard to get off? they look like they will give trouble on removal what did you replace with a nylock nut maybe?
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhausted View Post
Great write up on the change out of the rear wheel bearing Joe, attention to detail is most helpful I know what to do now when I pull the axles on my car for new bearings and seals. Joe is it the light retaining nut on the stud that was hard to get off? they look like they will give trouble on removal what did you replace with a nylock nut maybe?
Tim
No its not too bad, but when you try to screw them off they will become deformed. I got lucky though, and all spun off except 2. In this case you are forced to screw them off with the nut witch makes it a little more time consuming. Yes, i did use a nylock to fasten these, but a new nut with a jam nut would be good too. The first axle took me forever to complete with only book knowledge, and the second took probably an hour once i got the hang of it. That's why i wanted to post this to save others a lot of time glad this was helpful

I wish i could do more of these posts, but its hard to find time. I just replace the full front and rear suspension last weekend i would have loved to post that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM

Garage
Hi, I take out this post because I am trying to replace the rear wheel bearing on my '74 Spider.
Unfortunately i do not have a so big press to take out the bearings and I had to build my own tool that look like the original alfa tool, when I used it and understand how many force you need to pull out the bearing and the ring it is more clear to me why the rear wheel of my spider remain attached to the car and do not go out along the road
My question are:
-) I have pulled out only one bearing, right side, end I did not find any spacer on the outer side of the bearing, is that possible??
-) The new bearings are not easy to find and the are really expensive, more than 100$ each one? after one day of research I find this codes: TIMKEN 88107 (only the bearing), SKF VKBA586 (bearing + ring + seal)

Last question... or just a curiosity of your opinion: the dismantled bearing cannot anyway reused, as the pulling force is applied on the outside ring, and it must be hardly warmed to come out?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM

I do not believe that you can change rear axle bearing without a hydraulic press or an Alfa Romeo rear axle bearing tool. I would take the parts to a machine shop or automotive shop and have them press off the bearing and retainer and press on new bearing and retainer. I have replaced many rear axle bearings using my hydraulic press and also have rebuilt many Alfa transmissions with the same press.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
I do not believe that you can change rear axle bearing without a hydraulic press or an Alfa Romeo rear axle bearing tool. I would take the parts to a machine shop or automotive shop and have them press off the bearing and retainer and press on new bearing and retainer. I have replaced many rear axle bearings using my hydraulic press and also have rebuilt many Alfa transmissions with the same press.
I had take apart the bearing, with my self-made tool, I do not have picture at the moment but I will post them as soon as I can, it is mainly done using a plate that press the half shaft with a central bolt and is fixed to the the wheel hub by 4 long M8 threaded bars, it is like the original tool A.3.0394, only that i use 4 threaded bar in place of the tube. With this tool and warming the retainer ring, I assure you it come out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode