LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 05:41 PM

any update? like to know how you like it on the road

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My apologies for taking so long to get this thread going again. Been busy all around and did manage to get pictures taken while I finished up the conversion.
I looked around for a Mustang reverse switch and decided to just modify the S10 one by cutting off the outer casing from the connector and soldering on a pig tail. Not pretty but it was cheap, effective and took less time than the conversations I had looking for a stang reverse switch.
I used liquid tape to seal it up then attached a weather pack connector. Good to go!
Attached Images

post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some pics of the flange yoke on the diff. thanks again to Bearbvd for the tip on the yoke. I did have to trim the centering ring down. It was about 1mm too long and wouldn't let the flange faces seat together. It was still easier and cleaner than an adapter plate. I used shoulder bolts and nylock nuts to connect the flange yoke to the diff flange. Probably not required but certainly effective.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I thought I had some pics of the driveshaft in the car but can't seem to find them. The e-brake lever under the car originally wrapped around the driveshaft in front of the hanger bearing. With the driveshaft pointed down right from the tail stock it interfered with the d-shaft. A little work with a BFH to straighten it out once I got it out of the car worked well. It's really close to the driveshaft but it does clear and doesn't rub.
The last bit of fab was the gear shift lever. I decided to make it from a piece of 3/16" flat stock and a length of 5/8" rod. I went with 5/8 shaft because my gear shift knob had a 5/8 hole in it.
In the pics below you'll see the new and old gear shift levers and a few pics of the gear shift installed.
Attached Images

post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Those of you with a keen eye for detail may have noticed the angle on the two gear shift levers didn't match exactly. Pretty close but not quite the same. This became more apparent once the gear shift was installed in the car. In 1st, 3rd, and 5th the lever sits just above the center of the boot opening. 2nd and 4th sit right at the bottom but doesn't touch. I noticed this and thought it would just be cosmetic so I didn't worry too much about it.
I took the car out for the first time on this past Saturday (our first good weather day after a solid salt rinsing rain shower) and put 220kms on her after adjusting the clutch.
My thoughts, impressions, regrets?
Epic!!
This swap was well worth the work, which was pretty simple really. The shifts are smooth and crisp, downshifting is nothing but fun. The first time I got into a corner a little hard and dropped it into 2nd and got on the skinny pedal was so much fun. She got a little tail happy and ran.
So...now back to the gear shift lever. Between the angle being off slightly and the thick and heavy 5/8" rod the weight causes it to drop out of gear if i'm in 1st at an intersection (big cams +stiff mounts = lots of shaking) and it will drop out of 3rd and 5th occasionally if it's coasting over bumps. By no means a show stopper and by the time I was halfway through my drive I had already started to hold the gear shift at stop lights. It takes only the slightest pressure to hold it up.
My plan it to basically make the same shaft out of aluminum and with the angle corrected. Correcting the angle would likely do it but since it a PITA to install I only want to do it once.
Seriously though...what a dream to drive!!
Thanks to Bianchi and Flybird-T (RIP) for starting the posts on the conversion and Bearbvd for the heads up on the flanged yoke.
All in all with the models I posted, a machine shop and access to a decent driveshaft shop this swap is pretty easy. A bit more involved than a straight change but not much. My biggest hurdles were trying to find solutions and part numbers. Hopefully this post will help reduce those issues.
Cheers,
Don
horsewidower and nealric like this.
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86AlfaRossa View Post
Those of you with a keen eye for detail may have noticed the angle on the two gear shift levers didn't match exactly. Pretty close but not quite the same. This became more apparent once the gear shift was installed in the car. In 1st, 3rd, and 5th the lever sits just above the center of the boot opening. 2nd and 4th sit right at the bottom but doesn't touch. I noticed this and thought it would just be cosmetic so I didn't worry too much about it.
I took the car out for the first time on this past Saturday (our first good weather day after a solid salt rinsing rain shower) and put 220kms on her after adjusting the clutch.
My thoughts, impressions, regrets?
Epic!!
This swap was well worth the work, which was pretty simple really. The shifts are smooth and crisp, downshifting is nothing but fun. The first time I got into a corner a little hard and dropped it into 2nd and got on the skinny pedal was so much fun. She got a little tail happy and ran.
So...now back to the gear shift lever. Between the angle being off slightly and the thick and heavy 5/8" rod the weight causes it to drop out of gear if i'm in 1st at an intersection (big cams +stiff mounts = lots of shaking) and it will drop out of 3rd and 5th occasionally if it's coasting over bumps. By no means a show stopper and by the time I was halfway through my drive I had already started to hold the gear shift at stop lights. It takes only the slightest pressure to hold it up.
My plan it to basically make the same shaft out of aluminum and with the angle corrected. Correcting the angle would likely do it but since it a PITA to install I only want to do it once.
Seriously though...what a dream to drive!!
Thanks to Bianchi and Flybird-T (RIP) for starting the posts on the conversion and Bearbvd for the heads up on the flanged yoke.
All in all with the models I posted, a machine shop and access to a decent driveshaft shop this swap is pretty easy. A bit more involved than a straight change but not much. My biggest hurdles were trying to find solutions and part numbers. Hopefully this post will help reduce those issues.
Cheers,
Don
Thanks for the very thorough write up! Can't wait to do it on my spider.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode