Expansion Snap Ring Pliers for Synchros - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Expansion Snap Ring Pliers for Synchros

Anyone recommend a heavy duty snap ring pliers used to remove the snap covers for the synchro rings. I have one good set but it doesn't open far enough to get the snap ring off. One set I bent the extensions on and a couple have broken. Most tool places do not have anything as strong as I am looking for. I am probably going to hit up the Snap On trunk this week. Thought I would ask for some suggestions first.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:32 AM

Stahlwillie has just what you need.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Garage
For pliers I prefer KNIPEX.

Jason
'79 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone know what the diameter of the end tips is supposed to be?
I had a set of those pliers with the interchangeable tips and I would get some leverage on them taking the rings off and just as you get it out far enough, the tips would either break or rotate in their mount. So I gave those a toss. When those pliers release the pressure quick like that, it can really smack your palms.
When I find something I will let everyone know, if I can source it locally and I will check Harbor Freight and see if they have something.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A follow up to this thread. I grabbed a gear, a towel and headed out to do some shopping (serious shopaholic according to my wife).
Today I made the rounds of the tool stores: Sears, Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Home Depot, Napa etc. After a frustrating experience of not finding what I was looking for I remembered a small tool store out in the industrial area of town.
I drove out there, walked in with my gear in hand and said I was looking for some circlip pliers that fit these holes and was serious enough to put some leverage on. The owner being a former Snap-On dealer said he had just what I needed. Right off the rack we grabbed a Lang Tool internal/external circlip pliers with adjustable tips (number 75). They have a locking mechanism and with the throw of a lever you switch between internal and external. We took them out of bag, put the gear down on the work bench and in two minutes we had the balk ring cover off the gear. Cost...$60 Here is what they look like. BTW...Made in America.

Christopher

Last edited by velocedoc; 10-29-2014 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Chris,

Thanks for your research. A few of us here have a tranny rebuild day scheduled, and I will order the Lang snap ring pliers. I have tried a light weight version and it doesn't work very well. This should also work well when removing / installing the clutch slave cylinder. Made in America is another bonus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
A follow up to this thread... The owner being a former Snap-On dealer said he had just what I needed. Right off the rack we grabbed a Lang Tool internal/external circlip pliers with adjustable tips (number 75). They have a locking mechanism and with the throw of a lever you switch between internal and external. We took them out of bag, put the gear down on the work bench and in two minutes we had the balk ring cover off the gear. Cost...$60...Made in America.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM

A few months ago I did some work on a transmission for my Spider, including the 1st gear synchro modification. The only half way decent set of circlip pliers that I could find were Craftsman, from Sears. They were just barely adequate to remove and re-install the couple of big snap rings I needed to R&R; I don't think they will hold up to doing another snap ring. Removing the snap rings is hard, but re-installing them is almost impossible. If anyone has a trick, I'd sure like to know.

I have a friend that I'm helping with his Spider, so I have another transmission in the not too distant future; I think I'll track down the local Snap-On truck and see what they have.

Best regards,

Current:
'73 Spider, under renovation
Past Alfas:
'73 Berlina
'77 Alfetta GT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
A follow up to this thread. I grabbed a gear, a towel and headed out to do some shopping (serious shopaholic according to my wife).
Today I made the rounds of the tool stores: Sears, Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Home Depot, Napa etc. After a frustrating experience of not finding what I was looking for I remembered a small tool store out in the industrial area of town.
I drove out there, walked in with my gear in hand and said I was looking for some circlip pliers that fit these holes and was serious enough to put some leverage on. The owner being a former Snap-On dealer said he had just what I needed. Right off the rack we grabbed a Lang Tool internal/external circlip pliers with adjustable tips (number 75). They have a locking mechanism and with the throw of a lever you switch between internal and external. We took them out of bag, put the gear down on the work bench and in two minutes we had the balk ring cover off the gear. Cost...$60 Here is what they look like. BTW...Made in America.
These look very good and according to the specs 13 1/2" long which gives plenty of mechanical advantage. The little 6 or 7 inchers are useless. Thank you for posting this. It is the only thing about a rebuild that can be a PITA without the proper tool for this business
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 PM

as for putting the clips back in, we used a two man approach -- mount the gear up in a vice with Al jaws, clip facing up. One guy squeezes the snot out of the clip and starts it at the square end on one side. Other guy with a pin driver and a small hammer sets it in place by going around the clip popping it into place.

BUT we didnt have the bomb diddly pliers either. The ones we had BARELY worked

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 AM

When I rebuilt my Milano box I had the craftsman set similar to what is pictured above and it just didn't have the beef to deal with the V6 snap rings. I found a different Lang fixed size plier that was nice and beefy and had no issues with the snap rings, fit the holes nicely as well. Bought it at a local new & used tool dealer that I go to for all the weird stuff.

Kevin
Attached Images

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
When I rebuilt my Milano box I had the craftsman set similar to what is pictured above and it just didn't have the beef to deal with the V6 snap rings. I found a different Lang fixed size plier that was nice and beefy and had no issues with the snap rings, fit the holes nicely as well. Bought it at a local new & used tool dealer that I go to for all the weird stuff.

Kevin
I had a pair similar to those and the tips would bend as they were not hardened steel. So under a load they would bend and snap out of the holes. Do that a few times and your palms get sore from the quick release. Got fed up with them and tossed them in to the trash.

I won't say that these pliers are the end all to do this job but it is a whole lot easier. The pliers are a definite plus over anything else I have seen or used.

There is an easy way to take these balk ring covers off I just haven't found it yet. I think you start with the hooked end and work your way around to the other side. I have taken a majority of my rings off this way.

Having 2 people helps a lot as one squeezes while pushing down to open the ring and the other person uses a small flat tip screw driver to push up on the ring.

Putting the cover back on is just hook the end and walk the ring back around until it snaps into place. You need two people if you can.
You think warming the covers would help?

Christopher

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 AM

Garage
I have used both styles of snap ring pliers mentioned in this thread and have had poor results when using them on stubborn snap rings. I started using these and my only complaint is they can be a little bulky for small jobs.

Jason
'79 Spider
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Are new synchro circlips available anywhere?

Does anyone know of a source for NEW circlips (the big thick ones used to hold the synchro parts on the dog gears)?

The plier holes are buggered up on some of mine, making them difficult to open safely, and I don't want to re-install the ones that got bent a lot during the removal process.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Lock ring

You start with the non-hooked end. Don`t even think of heating. There are two sizes of the clips. The TA`s use the ones with the larger ID. Transmissions the ones with smaller ID.

I don`t use pliers. With the gear locked flat in the vice i lay a cloth over the gear and with a flat blunt nose chisle hit the end of the snap ring a good blow to open it and it leaps off of the syncro assembly undamaged. Cloth keeps the ring out of your face.

I doubt there is a source for new ones but I have a large supply of both sizes.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
I doubt there is a source for new ones but I have a large supply of both sizes.
Hi Richard,

I sent you a PM asking about purchasing of some of your smaller snap rings - did you get it?

Thanks,

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode