Paul Spruell Flex Disc - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Do you have any spacers between the disc and either of the safety plates?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

No, the plates are contacting the disc on each side they are on. All of the washers/spacers are between the yokes and the disc, except of course the washers under the nuts. Another way to say it maybe clearer is the stack of three washers are sitting on the collar standing proud of the disc. Three on one side three on the other. Hope that helps.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

That helps.Thanks.

I am leaving for a vacation tomorrow and it will be 2 or 3 weeks before I can try again. I appreciate everyone sharing experiences.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Hi Ed,
I've just completed a similar installation in my Alfa (1971 1750GTV RHD). It appears to be OK visually but I had to install the flex disc completely opposite to the included instructions. In other words, I fixed the new flex disc to the driveshaft yoke and then attached it to the gearbox yoke.

What confuses me with your photos and the instructions is the the driveshaft yoke bolts seem to be fitted from "rear to front" in the yoke. However, on my car, and in relevant service manuals, all bolts are fitted from "front to rear" be it gearbox or driveshaft yoke. I found the holes in the driveshaft yoke would only allow the threaded portion of the bolts to pass through and not the shank. Not sure if you had to modify your driveshaft yoke to pass the bolts through or whether this was a design change by Alfa at some point...

In any event, I fitted the new flex plate the following way:
1. Driveshaft bolt + one spacer + safety plate + new flex disc (flush hole side) + three spacers next to protruding bush on flex disc -> through drive shaft yoke and then locknut (and simple washer). Ensure second safety plate is resting loose between the driveshaft yoke and the new flex disc for subsequent fitting over the gearbox yoke bolts
2. Assemble the whole unit then onto the gearbox yoke, which already has three spacers on placed on each of the gearbox yoke bolts. Ensure the second safety plate is also located on the gearbox yoke bolts, add another spacer to each bolt and then tighten down with locknuts.

I think the keypoint with all the spacers is to centralise the new flex disc where the old one would sit. I found the old flex disc was 46mm wide whereas the new flex disc is only 28.3mm wide (excluding the protruding bushes alternating on each side). This means you need to take up a total clearance of 17.5mm with the safety plates and spacers or approximately 8.75mm each side for symmetry.

Therefore, one safety plate (6.3mm) + one spacer (2mm) on one side gives you 8.3mm approx. On the other side, three spacers (3 x 2mm = 6mm) + the protruding bush on the flex disc (3.3mm) gives you 9.3mm approx. Near enough that by eye, everything seems to be OK.

Sorry for the metric measurements but I hope you tell from my long winded explanation how I set things up. I haven't taken any photos but if you would like some, please let me know.

I hope my explanation helps you.

Regards

Frank (Melbourne, Australia).
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

A picture is worth a thousand words. On a related note, once installed and disconnected from the driveshaft at the center support rotate the front driveshaft to clock points. It should remain there. If it tends to rotate it's relieving a bind and it's not aligned with the gearbox. You should also be able to feel it bind as its rotated, if its out. The condition of the rear trans mount and cross member as well as the rear support determine the alingment. As with any 45 odd year old car it should at least be checked.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM

As requested, please find below a photo which hopefully clarifies my previous long winded post.
Notes about this photo:
1. The gearbox is being supported on a jack to allow the rear gearbox crossmember to be removed for the sake of a clear photo (ie. The gearbox was not be sitting in it's natural position).
2. Whilst, irrelevant for the photo, the engine and gearbox mounts are old and will be replaced sometime in the future. Don't seem to have a bad effect on the flex disc.
3. The centre bearing housing sat quite nicely over the tunnel studs and located with a minimum of fuss.

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Frank.
Attached Images

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM

Garage
Ciao Frank,

Great to see your feedback and have a couple of points:

1) Check your setup and you'll notice that the safety plate fowls with the rubber giubo (in between the two bolts) if you don't place a washer between the safety plate and the giubo.

2) Secondly, I'd wrap tape around the giubo and mark the centre line of the giubo and then check the distance of each bolt point against a fixed reference point on the back of the gearbox, to ascertain if the giubo is actually true.

I'll be mocking up my drive train up again soon to resolve!
Saluti
Sergio
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Nice work! That's the same configuration as shown in my example. It appears the three washers are stacked on the collars that are proud of the disk, that's good The only thing I can see different is there is a washer under every nut. It doesn't affect alignment in the least just a matter of consistency.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

IT WORKS!

I now have mine installed like gigem75's except that I put one spacer between the rear safety plate and the flex disc. I suspect that it is not necessary but a couple of folks seem to favor it.

I think that the 3 spacers between the safety plate and the disc plus only two spacers between the disc and the drive shaft was causing the nose of the drive shaft to bind on the safety plate. But that is the way the installation is described in the installation instructions.

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand what was going on.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode