First Gear Fix - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM

I cannot search what i don't know if exist!!!

- SNO Director, Spain branch, Barcelona
- '90 2.0 Spider -- '93 164 QV -- '93 155 2.0 TS -- '02 156 2.5 V6 -- '?? FMG 3.8 Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

What?

Quote:
I cannot search what i don't know if exist!!!
That is exactly why you SEARCH, to see what is out there, and most everything has been covered on the BB that has to do with Alfa`s....

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #108 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM

At the end, those parts are pieces of steel, and if you are sufficiently expert and have the tools, you can build everything from the adequate material. I have no problems to mechanize parts, in fact I have my own lathe and milling machine (and other heavy machines) just for enjoy myself.

About those two gearbox parts, I have expended more time here in this thread trying to convince about the reliability of my modification than the time needed to build the parts, so for me this little modification doesn't deserve to wait the time spent for the carrier to deliver the parts from America to Spain, more if you are able to do it yourself. Different is if I had to made more than only one modification, as you guys usually do, at the moment I'm a particular, not a company.

- '90 2.0 Spider -- '93 164 QV -- '93 155 2.0 TS -- '02 156 2.5 V6 -- '?? FMG 3.8 Project

Last edited by FMG_V6_btb; 03-31-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

No High School shop class ever taught interstitial molecular alloys or anything about metallic crystal manipulation by heat treatment, some of the major differences between the factory TX parts and a sawed off segment of a bearing housing. If you have that knowledge and equipment, you can do great things. Otherwise, its just a bodge. Sometimes we don't even know what we don't know.

I hope it works out for you. The first gear is not a heavily loaded part.

Robert
post #110 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
No High School shop class ever taught interstitial molecular alloys or anything about metallic crystal manipulation by heat treatment, some of the major differences between the factory TX parts and a sawed off segment of a bearing housing. If you have that knowledge and equipment, you can do great things...
That's why I'm doctor in Engineering (EngD), I have even published some papers for the SAE, so I must know what I do, no?

Quote:
I hope it works out for you...
It IS WORKING for me.

Last edited by FMG_V6_btb; 12-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
post #111 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Slap Bam and lights out end of discussion LOL

Angel
post #112 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
That's why I'm doctor in Engineering (EngD), I have even published some papers for the SAE, so I must know what I do, no?
Academic snobbery....! I once worked in a university for four years in an engineering faculty and saw what a Phd really means. IMO people that do Phd's are quite often people that can't get jobs with an undergraduate degree, do an honours year, can't get a job and finally end up doing a Phd. Then either end up chasing grants and writing papers for no-one inparticular to read (but they can claim as one of their publishings sort of like trophies), lecturing and playing in university political games to get recogition or build little research group empires. Very rarely were any of these people any good at actally applying all their theories practically.

Do not get me wrong: I feel a balance of practical experience with tertiary qualifications (to actually understand the theories behind systems) creates the best type of person to achieve results. And IMO, your input on some of the more complex and/or abstract concepts in this forum is most welcome and informative. But spruking about your qualifications on this forum will just make people think you are a big wacker (is pajero is the right word?).

And I do not have a dislike for "academics": about 50% of my friends have Phds, but I do earn more than 80% of them. And my brother has a Phd.

BTW: Love the mod! I wish I had discovered this back when I had an Alfa.

Oh, and...... The dumbest girl I ever dated had a Phd, but boy she had some very, very nice "assets"!

Luke Clayton - 1986 GTV 3.2 24V // Past: 8 x 105, 8 x 116, 4 x 900, 4 x 160
post #113 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

LOL
Academic snobbery: 'Those who can't do teach'

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #114 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Comment

Clayton105:
Thanks for well put comment. I agree totally!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #115 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Yes Clayton, you must be right, but all of you have at least an advantage over me, the language, almost all of you write in your native language, me not. Although I can express myself more or less clearly, is not the same as in Spanish (for me). As you can read in my previous posts I tried to end the discussion about the reliability of my modification, because it is working fine, end of the discussion for me, but others insisted arguing and doubting about what I did, even with metallography arguments, OK, I tried to Stop the discussion writing "That's why I'm doctor in Engineering (EngD), I have even published some papers for the SAE, so I must know what I do, no?" (what is true) hoping it were the last post about my mod (as written in Archangel's post).

I totally agree with you about what a Phd often means, but I don't fit in the picture you described, I haven't stop working since I left secondary school, so I have had to reconcile work with studies, I think i'm sooooooo practical.

About the SAE papers, all of them have been based on a technology development work (into an engineering company, not university) for Valeo and PSA, this technology is applied to actual Diesel engines.

Tifosi: I'm ALSO teacher at the university, and even my students learn!.

Alfar7: It is noted that you wanted to catch me

Last edited by FMG_V6_btb; 03-08-2011 at 02:54 PM.
post #116 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

"OK, I tried to Stop the discussion writing: That's why I'm doctor in Engineering (EngD), I have even published some papers for the SAE, so I must know what I do, no?"

Well, No.

Generally, we Americans don't hold titles in very high regard; you have to show your work, just like you might ask of your students. If you calculate the strength, adopt the specific material properties, etc., you might be credible.

I too have a PhD. in Physics, and have built some of the most sophisticated spacecraft in the world, costing over $2 B each and worth every cent. I know a LOT of real-world and theoretical engineering and science.

I also have 40 years of Alfa driving, building, and racing experience, and here on this BB, that is the ONLY thing that counts. I know a lot about Alfas by the simple learning process of making every possible mistake until the only things left are finally the right ones. Oh, and by paying a lot of attention to all the others who helped make some of the mistakes and who shared their knowledge freely.

My teen-agers have said, "I know dad, I know," and they don't know diddly squat (just like I did even longer ago!). So just saying "I must know, I have a degree!" just rubs the wrong way when you make unsupported claims. I have no doubt that you know what you are doing. But just tossing out mother's trump card contributes nothing to the discussion and does not help any one else get it right.

In the end, THAT is what this BB is all about - sharing knowledge and experience so others can understand, find new things to try, and avoid pitfalls.

I started this thread with an idea that I had back in grad school as a beginning racer. Couldn't understand why Alfa made such a dumb shortcut; tried something that seemed so obvious I didn't even realize no one else was doing it. That was over 40 years ago, and it took me that long to realize that I should have pulled the 1st gear dog set and replaced it with a 5th gear one - that eliminates the cut-out that Alfa made in the original design. It took about page 2 of this thread for someone else to think that up.

Duh! My fancy title didn't help that much!

Good luck on your project. We're always here to help.

Robert
post #117 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Robert, you are TOTALLY right, I left that discussion that's going nowhere, and will continue making my modest contribution and sharing my thoughts, experiences, or showing my work in other threads (as I did in this one), as you pointed, that's the reason why this forum exists.

Note: I would like to see the same level of criticism I received here to the work or products "others" are showing or selling in this forum, which are not complemented with any calculation of the strength, nor specifications of material properties, power curves, etc, or any other proving method., but that have to be credible to everybody and everybody accepts without question.

post #118 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Man, guys, whats all this knocking people with edjukayshun, huh?? LOL!!

Cmon, man, Im the first one here to be so grateful of al the help Ive gotten here from so many educated guys in their field......first , pertaining more to this thread, Robert, whos idea of the first gear fix, I actually did on my (and Jr's) alfa worked out so great. Thanks, Robert!!

Not to mention all the other dudes who are well, a part of the family, period. I wil only mention Roberts name now cuz it is his thread originally, but yours all know all is family here.

But no need to diminuize (a word?) phd's......they do their thing and we do ours. I got a buddy whom I collaborate with in Canberra .......yeaah, hes phD, soooo many titles it takes 6 lines. Anyweay, Those guys have a need , and non phd's have a need. We all mesh ttttogether like spokes on a wheel.

The guy in Spain, man, I wish I spoke spanish like he does English, sheesh. Yeah, in Europe they are bigger on titles. Thats the turf. Teachers that call themselves professor, of ELEMANTARY SCHOOL!!!!! I had relatives that did this!! Still, though, we are just as highb on titles here, dont worry. Plenty of snobbery in the US tyo go around, no qurestion.

Phds have their place, and not true that their publications arent read by no one......a very few do read them- people that can understand them....LOL. Have to divulge here, but the buddy I collaborate with in Canberra- I submit data to him, he adds it into his publication, and he told me this year the book is selling like hotcakes- projected maybe over 1000 copies worldwide. I get my name in it (yipppeeeeee!) In our field, thats many readers. Not to compare with say, People Magazine, though. Point: we all have a niche. and just cuz a phd doesnt EARN as much as the above poster, Its a cliche', but money isnt everything. Sadly, in western world, too many times money is the least common denominator.

87 spider veloce
post #119 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

This diversion in the core thread is OK - after all, most of the real titled content is in the first few pages.

One thing I have learned - well, been reminded of at least - is that we have an absolutely amazing cultural diversity among the members. We truely have world-wide membership. The subtle differences rarely show up in the very technical content of the BB, but they do poke thru, and some of us (well, at least me) who should know better don't always get it. Eventually we (I?) do. Sometimes we totally fail to communicate because we think we are speaking the same language....

I am glad that so many have appreciated the small insight that is the root of this thread. I truely did not realize for decades that it was not obvious to everybody that ever took a wrench to an Alfa transmission. Shoulda shared it sooner.....

After all, I've gained so much form other Alfisti....

Robert
post #120 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
This diversion in the core thread is OK - after all, most of the real titled content is in the first few pages.

One thing I have learned - well, been reminded of at least - is that we have an absolutely amazing cultural diversity among the members. We truely have world-wide membership. The subtle differences rarely show up in the very technical content of the BB, but they do poke thru, and some of us (well, at least me) who should know better don't always get it. Eventually we (I?) do. Sometimes we totally fail to communicate because we think we are speaking the same language....

I am glad that so many have appreciated the small insight that is the root of this thread. I truely did not realize for decades that it was not obvious to everybody that ever took a wrench to an Alfa transmission. Shoulda shared it sooner.....

After all, I've gained so much form other Alfisti....

Robert
Robert, I just realized if you post about 19 more posts, and I post none, you and I will be equal posters!!!!!!! LOL

Take care.

87 spider veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode