GTA-style half shafts - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM

there was some talk on the http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1999

where they found that porsche 930 parts seem to be the same.
and one link was here
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/...susp%20IRS.htm

might see if somthing here will work. if so it will save a lot of time and is cheap for new.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 AM

that`s nice for transaxles, but not for 105-series, where this topic is about.. But good link!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM

opps .. as soon as the word halfshaft came up I thought transaxles.
I think of the fixed type as just a axel. I think the terms vary from local to local.
here halfshaft is only used for the small type with a CV on each end. and axel for the type without a CV. and I was just reading the transaxle stuff when I posted.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Has anyone else ever broken a half shaft?
The left side on my 1600gtjunior snapped about 3-4 inches from the hub after a few spirited downchanges one day(4th to 3rd).I swapped it for a 1750gtv series 2 one which was a little thicker and had a different seal,as that was all I could get hold of here.It's made me a little more careful about when I change down now.Not sure I'd want to drill one out,Alex ;-)
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM

We've broken several (more than four) fine spline 1600-1750 solid axle shafts on 2-liter Spiders and GTV's... Must be too much power! <grin>
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
you can always design better axles..........
Attached Images

Last edited by Biscione; 06-19-2007 at 09:12 PM.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 AM

SWEET! But those are for the unobtanium 1600 GTA ZF LSD rear, right?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
yes, these have the 15 count spline.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:52 PM

I broke a couple of early type axle shafts when I was running fully locked
spider gears. Once I switched to an LSD and the axles pictured above, no problems. I have wondered if the limited slip gives the whole system a little give an protects the axle?

[B]Curtis Wood[/B]
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM

Snapped Axle...

I snapped an axle while racing yesterday in my Montreal. It happened on the fastest corner of the track at about 140km on corner exit.
At first I thought I had been hit from behind, and it was a scary ride for 150 meters in the gravel trap, as with the car raised in the front it sort of surfed the gravel trap instead of digging in and slowing down.

This is the second snapped axle, last time it was the right hand side and the damage to the car was real bad, this time it was the left with minor damage.

I've fitted a 105 shaft one at the track from another racers spare to get me "mobile" to allow me to get the car on and off the trailer. The 105 ones are an inch shorter than the Montreal ones and only just engage into the LSD about 5mm (So I run the risk of stripping the splines if I attempt to drive it)

My problem is that if I get another Montreal one (most likely only second hand) It will be 40 yrs old and I'll run the risk it breaking again, and this time perhaps I won't be so lucky, and a concrete wall might not be as forgiving as a gravel trap. So does anyone know of an axle shaft manufacturer who is currently making billet 105 ones so I can have some new ones made up to the slightly longer length that the Montreal requires?

Cheers
Phil.
Attached Images

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 AM

Hello Phil,
if you need used axle shafts for a Montreal, please reply.
I have one pair for sale.
Frank
Attached Images

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Many thanks Frank. I'll keep them in mind. At this stage I'm thinking of having some billet ones made up out of 4140 which will be much stronger than the standard cast ones, so I'll let you know if I have no luck.

Just a question.... Are the pictures you posted of the Montreal ones? As my axles are threaded and have a castellated ring nut to secure the bearing onto the shaft, Iíve not seen this on 105 ones so presumed this to be peculiar to the Montreal.

Regards
Phil.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM

The axle shafts on the pictures are from a Montreal and have a thread for a castellated ring nut to secure the bearing.
As far as I know, this is specific to Montreal axle shafts.
Regards
Frank
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM

For new axles, talk to Moser Engineering (in Illinois) or Mark Williams (in Colorado. They happily do customs.

The stock axles are most certainly NOT cast, they are forged.

4140 is not a bad alloy selection for axle shafts, but is NOT necessarily the best.

Induction hardened shafts are likely the best way to go.

The REAL solution, especially for racing, would be to convert the rear wheel bearings to a 3/4 floating design--peek at an MGA rear for an example of this design. It removes the full alternating stress (due to vehicle weight, cornering loads, etc.) from the outer end of the shaft (EXACTLY where yours broke) and thus solves the problem.

The 3/4 floating design is a lot lighter and simpler than the classic full floating design, and almost entirely as reliable. And, just as with a full floater, the wheel bearing(s) run in gear oil, NOT grease. Another good thing about it.

Any tech inspector/racing organization that objects to such a conversion in any way deserves nothing more or less than a summons and complaint !!

Your break is a classic fatigue failure, and endemic to semi floating axles, particularly in racing applications.

Glad you had an angel riding on your shoulder (TWICE!!!!). It's not at all uncommon for the rear wheel/tire to roll its way out of the wheel well and pitch pole the car over the opposite corner. Many racers have died this way !!

I wouldn't take a GIFT of a used axle for this application, particularly where there's a past history of failures !!

Greg
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Hello,

as my axle shaft decide to broke on track last week, I’m looking for a modern reproduction set of strong, solid 15 count spline GTA halfshafts (no original used or NOS parts - thanks!)

Anybody could help or knows a source?

Markus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode