rumble in alfa spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

rumble in alfa spider

Hi,
Not sure where to post this question, hope this forum is not too wide of the mark. I have a spider, 1974, weber conversion. have noticed a rumbling vibration that occurs on deceleration, I can feel it in my feet transmitted through the driver floor pan. I get the impression that it might also be there when I engage the clutch, but only very brief vibration then, mostly it occurs when I take the foot off the accelerator. It seems worse when driving over bumps. I have looked as best I can under the car, can't see any point where the exhaust or mechanical parts are touching the body of the car.

Does anyone have any idea what the source might be? I wonder if the top of the transmission is too close to the transmission tunnel...

Thanks for any suggestions, or ideas about how to track it down.

TS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 AM

Worth checking if the engine mounts are worn. Worn engine mounts allow too much twist and the breathers on top of the transmission can knock against the steel cover over the shifter tunnel...and usually you find the 3 rubber bellows on top are torn to bits. (you need to take out the centre console to inspect these, not a bad job to do)
Had a similar sounding problem, changed mounts and problem was gone.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea, this sounds like the place where the noise is coming from. However, the engine mounts were replaced about 2 years ago and the car is not driven very often, do you think they could wear so rapidly?

TS

Tags
deceleration, rumble, spider 1974

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode