syncro ring issue,,race cars - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM

And as for as that goes, the various national Alfa clubs might get involved also. For many years the American Lancia had a very active parts consortium (don't know if they still do) and the various UK marque clubs also have a long tradition of putting together consortiums to insure the avaliability of critical parts. 5000 units is a lot for one order but not so much spread around among a variety of enterprises. It's a shame that ZF isn't aware of just how much worldwide old Alfa activity there is. These aren't just a bunch of old cars anymore.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

They were aware when I talked with them. They were surprised that Fiat would not pick up that order as they do for other older cars under their corporate umbrella.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Location: Moscow, Russia -> Minneapolis, MN, US -> Lausanne, Switzerland
Garage
What do Porsche clubs tell?

1975 Alfetta; ex 1973 Spider; ex 1984 Alfetta Quadrifoglio Oro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
They were aware when I talked with them. They were surprised that Fiat would not pick up that order as they do for other older cars under their corporate umbrella.
Now this is an interesting factoid. Could it be that Fiat's traditional distain for Alfa is at work here? But what, as is often the case in the corporate world, that isn't really a hard-and-fast decision? What if we on the bb organized a world wide email-campaign asking Fiat to change their policy and place an order for Alfa syncros? I would think somebody in the corpoate bowels of Fiat probably made that decision and it got institutionalized because nobody challenged it. With a little luck we might be able to change that.

Just a thought.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 AM

mr alfar7.am i to assume by changing the entire 5th synchro unit to 1st gear i won't be upsetting the distance from intermediate flange to pinion.the only change that might create a problem would be the pressed dog gear to 1st actual gear i think.so i would assume my measurment on that should be precise.am i assuming good assumtions?
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Syncro change

Quote:
mr alfar7.am i to assume by changing the entire 5th synchro unit to 1st gear i won't be upsetting the distance from intermediate flange to pinion.the only change that might create a problem would be the pressed dog gear to 1st actual gear i think.so i would assume my measurment on that should be precise.am i assuming good assumtions?
Mr.?? Nobody calls me that. I get no respect on this BB.

There is no difference dimensionally between your 1st gear syncro receiver package and the 2nd - 5th type. Just internal differences.

As well, the syncro package does not in any way control the gear spacings. That is a function of shaft design, and spacer/sleeves. If you use the original spacers, sleeves, slider supports, and shims the pinion gear will be in the same position relative to the center bearing carrier (and ring gear).
Be sure the 5th gear slider carrier goes back in the same position front/back as it has a different size boss on each side.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM

thank you richard.i'll leave off the mr. henceforth.i have very seldom done tranny work.once or twice to change bearings.i'm useing a haynes for basic steps.your word slider carrier .could that be what is refered to as a hub in the manual? i have a gtv6 with difficult shifting. i plan to follow your recipe and have about 10 alfetta and 75 gears removed from cars for one reason or another so i'll have no problem finding good syncros.another question if it's not to much trouble.these trannys from 75's and alfettas.i've read that the V6 gears were beefed up vis a vis the alfa norte 4.do you know which parts?
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM

i suppose you mean the operating sleeve.
post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Translation of terminology

Yes and yes.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM

ok,just disassembled a 76-78? alfetta tranny to prepare and to get familiar with the work.now i'm disassembling a late ninties 1.6 alfa 75 tranny with pretty good looking synchro teeth.i'll use 5th synchro from this on 1st/2nd gear synchro on the project car as per alfar7's suggestion.a few questions.the early tranny had a balljointed link rod as a centralizing apparatus.the late ninties one has a spring on the selector shaft for the same purpose.does anyone know when this change went into effect.the project car is a 81 gtv6 but it won't arrive for 'bout two more weeks and i'd be happy to know before hand which centering type it has? question 2. the gtv6 tranny was beefed up.any one know exactly where.i think the drive shafts were bigger as i remember.i'll be measuring bearings when i open her but any one know the exact strenghtenings that where made?
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

TA components

The shifter changed between early & late Alfettas along with gear design. All the later boxes inc the V6 TAs use the later V spring.

The V6 is totally different design internally & castings. Different gears, different bearings (all larger) and larger Ring and Pinions.
Only the TA sybcronizers are the same size & design. Different from 105/115 type.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM

thank you again richard. i'm in nirvana taking these trannies apart.i'm 71 and still love to learn new mechanical insights.can't wait to get the gtv6 tranny in my hands.
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM

it's funny but every time i've bought an alfa and the gears were easy engage,no matter how many miles i've driven them i've never had one go bad shifting.on the other hand i've had quite a few i've bought with bad shifters as was.
post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 AM

excuse me if i appear a but slow on the take up here.i just pressed out the dog tooth receptor on a gear.you are saying even by exchanging the dogs i'll not make any impact on absolute height?
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Assembly

that is correct. Has no impact on stack height.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode