Starter/Flywheel Question - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Wear on Ring Gear teeth

Similar to what Gordan and Papajam have said, someone years ago (I don't remember who now) explained to me that an engine will always stop on one of the compression strokes. And the starter will always engage the ring gear wherever it stopped the last time the engine was shut off. So for a four cylinder, the wear will always be on four specific places of the ring gear. Removing the ring gear and reinstalling it in a different position will offer new teeth to the starter gear. It has always worked for me.

Ted A.
OldAlfaGuy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Now I am getting ready to put every thing back together and I noticed that the two bell housings are different. The one from the 74 Spider does not have a hole where the reverse switch is and the other, that I seems to be from a later 70's Spider, does have it. Why is this and will matter which one I use? I have been planning to use the one without the hole, just has a button sticking out, for the reverse switch.

Greg
1969 GTV 1750(Classic TrackRod)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The bellhousing must match the gearbox. The 73 and earlier gearboxes have longer shift rods and the bellhousing has a hole that they poke out through. The reverse switch is mounted on a bracket inside the bellhousing.
74 ond later gearboxes have shorter shift rods that do not protrude into the bellhousing and there is no hole for them. Every later bellhousing that I have seen has had a screwed hole for the reverse switch but there may have been some with no hole and the reverse switch was mounted at the top of the shift tower.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So the transmission(has the hole in the top for the shift rods) that I just removed from my 1969 GTV was most likely the one that came in the car. I thought that when they put the 2l motor in the car, they changed the transmission at the same time. but, there is nothing wrong with putting in the one without the hole, just the pin sticking out for the reverse switch.

Greg
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Here is further clarification of what Ed just wrote. With the transmission in "N", if you have three shift rods poking out the back of the box, you MUST use the bellhousing with the hole to fit all three. In "N" these rods will all poke out the same amount. On later transmissions, this feature was changed, and the rods will be blocked by the casting. Using the later housing with the earlier box will not work.
In the pictures below, note the three rods through the hole by the back up switch. In "R", the reverse rod will move further out, activating the switch.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, i'v got it. The transmission that I plan to use does not have the rods sticking out(came out of a 1974 Spider), so I should use the bell housing without the hole. Thanks for the information.

Greg
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM

flipping ring gear

Glad I read this post. Gordon is probably correct and only the square cut ring gears can be safely reversed. I got away with it years ago on my Giulietta spider that had beveled teeth on the RG when I could not afford new parts. We have sold a lot of flywheel kits and have not had any backlash. With that good fortune, it is a good time to correct our recommendation. We are always open to customer and expert feedback on our products. Thanks, Gordon.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Clutch replacement 1975 Spider

Hi, I'm Tony owner of Rallye Coach Works we do Auto Body collision and restoration on mostly imports. We don't normally do much mechanical work clutch replacement being one of them. But here I am putting a clutch in a Spider. Is there anything that I should be aware of that is not normal with a clutch job. I have the trans and fly wheel removed. The fly wheel we sent out to be refaced.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Be sure the machine shop refaces the pressure plate mounting surface the same amount as the friction surface. Also, buy a Sachs original clutch kit instead of the cheaper Valo.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Here is further clarification of what Ed just wrote. With the transmission in "N", if you have three shift rods poking out the back of the box, you MUST use the bellhousing with the hole to fit all three. In "N" these rods will all poke out the same amount. On later transmissions, this feature was changed, and the rods will be blocked by the casting. Using the later housing with the earlier box will not work.
In the pictures below, note the three rods through the hole by the back up switch. In "R", the reverse rod will move further out, activating the switch.
I am rebuilding a 101 spitcase transmission, and I do not have the reverse switch. I do have one from a 105 hydraulic transmission (early type with rods sticking into clutch area). However, if I install that switch in the 101 bell housing, it is not in line with the 5-R rod. Any thoughts how to solve this? Fabricate bracket? Source correct switch?

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Either a SOLID alternate bracket or the original type switch are the best solutions. I had some difficulty recently sourcing the original switch, but they are out there in the USA. If you send me a PM, I'll give you some possible US sources.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a (new to me) 67 Super with a 2L Spica engine, and I'm trying to get my head around the potential starter/ring gear/transmission/bellhousing combinations.

Can someone confirm if the following is correct?

1. 2L engine -> 6 bolt crank

2. 6 bolt crank -> either 130 or 131 ring gear (must use proper (different) starter for either)

3. Early and late 2L bellhousings are a possibility, and must be matched with the right transmission.

All true?

Can the either bellhousing/transmission be used with either the 130 or 131 ring gear?

Are the 2L flywheels all the same (only difference is the ring gear)?

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode