4.30 Rear Axle - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

4.3 sets are hard to find.

Alfaholics has some newly made for the 1600 diff.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 AM

My nephew parted a couple of rusty 80's era spiders last summer. I bought one of the diffs from him. Mostly, I bought it for extra LSD discs. Upon taking it apart this morning, I was very surprised to find 10 teeth on the pinion and 43 on the ring gear! Everything else about the diff is normal. From reading this thread, I can only assume the car was special ordered with the 4.30? Or perhaps a previous owner found a Euro Berlina diff to put in it.

I put a 4.10 in my street GTV (currently in pieces), but I like the idea of the 4.30 even beter!

Erik
'66 GTV racecar, '71 Spider racecar, '74 GTV street car, '71 GTV project
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Side tracking a little, after reading all the above am I correct in assuming that all 105 2ltr GTV's rolled off the production line with LSD's?... Someone mentioned above that they are heavy?... Is this as in normal 'heavier' being that it is an LSD or rediculously heavy?... Next question; is the O.e. LSD a good piece of equipment and is it viably servicable today considering that aftermarket LSD's are available. Does someone know when did the spiders started getting LSD's as standard fitment? Finally is there any way of telling the diff ratio and type (i.e. LSD or std) by and external inspection?.. I can get hold of a 2ltr GTV diff but I've been wanting to get answers to these questions before buying. Thanks.

Last edited by patanga; 07-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in the U.S., all of the 2L cars came with LSD's. I have always raced with the factory unit (with 2 friction discs added) and had good luck. I'm sure the aftermarket LSD's are better, but they are a lot more money too!

You can tell the LSD equipped diffs by a triangular-shape in the stiffening web on the bottom. There are pictures somewhere on the BB. The ratio can only be determined by turning the input and counting wheel revolutions.

Erik
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patanga View Post
Side tracking a little, after reading all the above am I correct in assuming that all 105 2ltr GTV's rolled off the production line with LSD's?... Someone mentioned above that they are heavy?... Is this as in normal 'heavier' being that it is an LSD or rediculously heavy?... Next question; is the O.e. LSD a good piece of equipment and is it viably servicable today considering that aftermarket LSD's are available. Does someone know when did the spiders started getting LSD's as standard fitment? Finally is there any way of telling the diff ratio and type (i.e. LSD or std) by and external inspection?.. I can get hold of a 2ltr GTV diff but I've been wanting to get answers to these questions before buying. Thanks.
Hi Patanga.

I don't think all 2.0's came with LSD just the berlina,I could be wrong.

If you can lift the back wheels and turn one rear wheel the other wheel should turn in the same direction. If it turns the opposing way it means you have a non LSD.

I'll be getting the alfaholics LSD unit. One of the garages here has fitted them and said they are great, lighter as well. Any of the weight you can take out of that rear axle assembly will help things from what I've heard.

Cheers
Andy

Cheers

Andy

'69 1300 Gt junior (step nose) 2.0L
Toyota Hilux 4x4 (bar nose)
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_junior View Post
...turn one rear wheel the other wheel should turn in the same direction.
While true for virtually every other vehicle on the planet, the Alfa LSD does not do this; turning one wheel in one direction will have the other wheel turning in the opposite direction, just like a non-LSD (open) rear.

To determine if it's an LSD, look for the 'V' in the casting and 3 extended cooling fins on the sump.
Attached Images

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
While true for virtually every other vehicle on the planet, the Alfa LSD does not do this; turning one wheel in one direction will have the other wheel turning in the opposite direction, just like a non-LSD (open) rear.
Just to add a little more to papajam's comment, if the other wheel does not turn the opposite direction, the LSD has been set up incorrectly. The stock LSD is designed to only lock up when torque is applied. The torque causes the spider gears to "spread", loading the clutch stack.

Erik
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
The other part of his question was if you can tell externally what ratio is inside and I believe the answer is no, there are no external markings to tell what gear ratio a box is. I suppose the only way to do that would be to spin the pinion and count the rotation of the axle.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Incorrect. A 4.3 differential should have a red splash of paint on the input coupling. Richard Banks at Alfaholics told me that a few years ago. Therefore it may stand to reason that there were other colour 'codes' for rapid identification at the factory, but that would just be conjecture on my part. Perhaps others know more?

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Incorrect. A 4.3 differential should have a red splash of paint on the input coupling. Richard Banks at Alfaholics told me that a few years ago. Therefore it may stand to reason that there were other colour 'codes' for rapid identification at the factory, but that would just be conjecture on my part. Perhaps others know more?
For what it's worth, none of my diffs (4.10/4.30/4.55/4.78/5.12) has any color markings. But it isn't that hard to count rotations.

Erik
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Alex is right. I guess Richard told about the color marks not on the dif case but in the pinion's end the one to propeller shaft. All Nos Crown&pinions I've seen or have, had this color marks. Mostly are green, I can recall 1-2 red and I guess also saw one yellow?
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

For what it's worth most 2000 series 105's were specified standard with LSD's down in this part of the world. GTV's and Spiders had 4.1 and Berlina's had 4.3 ratios respectively.

Of course that doesnt mean all the cars actually had them fitted but it does mean most of the 4.3's were picked up years ago and many of the LSD units ended up in 116 series GTV's and GTV6's.

Last edited by Aggie57; 09-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:02 PM

In Europe all 2000 cars had LSD units, too. However, I'm not sure if the picked units gone finally to 116 cars, I guess they've been different.I have the feeling that the pinion gear was longer.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Argh! that would have been handy to know before I sanblasted the diff...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM

as for these marks, I assume also the inside pinion (as previously mentioned) must have the same mark like the mark on the flange. Or, finally we speak for exactly the same since the pinion's end mark could be seen from the flange...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode