This is how it works:
1. Givers post ads just like an item for sale in the Free forum. Include details and a picture if possible.
2. No wanted or for sale posts! This thread is for giving, not asking or selling!
3. Takers should call "dibs" in the message itself and PM the giver immediately. Dibs are claimed by posting in the message string AND PMing.
4. It's OK to ask the dibs-taker to pay for reasonable shipping. Shipping costs must reflect actual cost, not any value associated with the item! If giver will ask for shipping costs, state that in the ad. Takers should include a zip code in the message post to estimate cost.
5. If someone calls dibs, then decides not to take the item, the giver should notify the next in line via PM.
6. If no one else has dibs, the giver should post a still-available message.
7. When an item is gone, the giver should post an item-gone message. This will limit unnecessary followup messages.
8. There is no message count minimum for calling dibs on an item. But please don't be a hog and dominate the forum.
9. Be reasonable. These items are free, if messages cross in the ether, misunderstandings arise, please be sensible in working out problems.
10. Be honest and forthright. Describe fully and accurately.
11. All normal BB rules
on transaction and behavior apply.
Thanks go to BB member AFineRide for the idea of a free stuff forum and to those who supported the idea and offered suggestions along the way.