My 72 GT is all show and no go at this point. It has a stock rebuild on a 2L Nord.
However, I plan to change that in the near future -- I have a spare 2L Nord block (casting 512 - 1972 or so), crank, and I have a twin spark head on the way here from Europe. I don't plan to do anything exotic here; just want a strong N/A motor for track days and a bit of street driving.
My basic plan -- balanced bottom end, aftermarket rods (MaxSpeeding?), quality forged pistons (recommendations?) with about 10.5:1 or 11:1 compression (something that will live with 93 pump premium if I back off timing, but will usually have some race fuel mixed in), aftermarket camshafts (recommendations?), aftermarket ignition (MSD 6AL box + 8 plug distributor?), and I'm guessing Weber 45's.
I plan to have the head ported. Will tackle it myself if I can't find anyone to do it.
1. Recommended block and crank mods - drilling the oil passage in the block, staking the plugs in the crank, right?
2. Recommended pistons and compression ratio? How far can I go on an overbore?
3. Recommendation on camshafts and valvetrain?
4. Recommendation on ignition?
5. Recommendation on carbs and intake?
6. I know the TS head is thicker, so I'll need to either mill the bosses where the studs go through or remove the shorter Nord studs and install TS studs. Will probably leave this to the machine shop. Any other needed mods that I'm forgetting?
7. If you have any recommendations on someone to port the head, please post here or send me a message. I'll do the engine assembly myself.
Almost forgot -- I don't necessarily have a hp goal; just want to make as much as reasonably possible without exotic components and/or twisting it to 9,000 rpm. Having said that, I think 200+ at the crank sounds reasonable.
Thanks in advance for any info!