P&L's for 1600 - latest rec's? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfajay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

P&L's for 1600 - latest rec's?

What is the latest recommendation for a piston and liner set for a 1600?

I'm looking to build a strong 1600 that will see occasional track use in vintage racing. My old liners are in good condition, but I sent them to Spruell back in January for the 1700 kit. Unfortunately he can no longer get that kit machined, so I'm now looking for alternatives(and hoping to get my liners back!).

My head has been cleaned up and has meat left on it(not milled to death), so I'd like to avoid machining again to raise compression. Thinking to go closer to 10:1 on compression, so a piston change from stock is a possibility without getting out of hand on costs. I already have a lightened flywheel and plan to get new Rjr cams.

Going through AlfaBB past messages shows notes from around 2010. So I'm just seeing if anyone has any new recommendations for 2019.

'59 Giulietta Sprint, '05 GranSport, '35 MG race special, others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geflackt View Post
My old liners are in good condition, but I sent them to Spruell back in January for the 1700 kit. Unfortunately he can no longer get that kit machined, so I'm now looking for alternatives
Don't give up on the 1750 piston alternative too easily. I had a local machine shop bore out my 1600 liners to 80 mm. Engine has been assembled for a few years and is running fine.

Increasing the bore diameter by 2.6% (80mm/78mm - 1) should increase your static compression ratio by 5.2% (1.026 squared - 1) with no change to the head.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Don't give up on the 1750 piston alternative too easily. I had a local machine shop bore out my 1600 liners to 80 mm. Engine has been assembled for a few years and is running fine.

Increasing the bore diameter by 2.6% (80mm/78mm - 1) should increase your static compression ratio by 5.2% (1.026 squared - 1) with no change to the head.
I do have a great local shop that I work with for machining - although a bit expensive. Is there an off-the-shelf piston to target for this application?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geflackt View Post
Is there an off-the-shelf piston to target for this application?
Sure. I just used stock, 80mm 1750 pistons.

But Spruell sells some higher compression aftermarket 80 mm JE pistons for this application. See his p/n JE81PS10.5 and .5-1 at: Alfa Romeo parts from Spruell Motorsport Alfa

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 05-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Great - I'll check out the 1750 parts. Will check around - we just haven't been able to get anything out of Spruell. I'll also talk to the company that made the pistons on my race engine(totally different car).

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
Jay, when you had your liners bored out, did they bore the entire liner from top to bottom or did they leave the thin part that gets pressed into the block un-bored? It seems like the part that gets pressed into the block is already very thin. Paul called his kit, a '1700 kit'. When ordering my 1600 engine rebuild kit last month, the 1700 kit was still listed on his website.

Geflackt, I may have a good stock set of 1600 liners that are used but I need to make sure the new liners and pistons fit and work well before letting them go. I am moving at a snails pace on this engine too, so it may be a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Geflackt, I may have a good stock set of 1600 liners that are used but I need to make sure the new liners and pistons fit and work well before letting them go. I am moving at a snails pace on this engine too, so it may be a while.
Thanks - but I just went ahead and bought a new 1600 set. I don't think Spruell is shipping anything anymore - I tried to get a stock kit and parts, along with getting my 1600 liners returned, but never got a response. He didn't seem to want to take orders for anything, so I'm not sure what's going on there. My liners were never bored as he no longer has a machine shop capable of doing that work. I was concerned about the liner thickness after boring, but figured that my liners have been through at least 20 years of heat cycles so they were probably OK.

So instead of screwing around any longer, I'm just going to build a relatively stock but strong motor so that I can get this car back on the road. Spent enough time and money on a pre-war motor, I'll just take it easy on this one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode