Nord Head Plugs - Nut/Bolt Size to get it off - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nord Head Plugs - Nut/Bolt Size to get it off

Hey there

I would like to remove a head-plug from my car to install another coolant temp sensor - has anyone done this recently and found a fitting nut or bolt? All the metric ones that I have are either too small or too big, and would harm the plug.

Thanks a lot
Alessandro

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Drill, die grinder, pick threads clean.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@guillotineFI

That will be hard since the engine is installed and running. Other seems to be able to remove it just fine, but I haven't found anyone actually mentioning the size (bolt or nut) they used.

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 AM

if memory serves well its a 14mm allen key and the treads are m22x150
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
@guillotineFI

That will be hard since the engine is installed and running. Other seems to be able to remove it just fine, but I haven't found anyone actually mentioning the size (bolt or nut) they used.
Understood. But, my experience is that the aluminum plug hex socket, is likely no match to the combination of tool steel hex wrench and factory applied "galvanic corrosion" brand of time curing thread locker.

Just be aware, and consider going easy on it before ruining the socket and having little choice between going with the proven approach, or living with an ugly plug.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 PM

On removing the head plug would it be easier to do after the engine has been running and the alloy is hottish ? Just thinking the corrosive seal may loosen more easily with the heat.
Tim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hey Alessandro

You said

" ...I would like to remove a head-plug from my car to install another coolant temp sensor..."

Well that's interesting. Are you planning to install the sender in the hole left by the departed plug, which according to another poster is M22x1.50?

Problem is that the plug threads tend to shear off and remain in the internal threads cut into the head. This isn't so bad as you can remove the plug fragments from the internal threads using an O-ring pick as GuillotineFI suggests.

Much worse is when the plug threads shear off the internal threads cut into the head. Now this is bad. You'll have to acquire a 22mm Timesert kit, drill out the hole and install the insert. I doubt you can do this successfully with the cylinder head in the car.

My point in all this is that when you put the Allen key into the plug and start to twist, you're starting down the road that will likely lead with cylinder head replacement. Definitely use a T-handle Allen key to avoid side loading the Allen plug.

Keep us informed on how this goes.

Bye
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I was wanting to do the same thing to add another (mechanical) temp gauge. I thought another option may be to add a "T" connector into a heater hose. Or maybe there is an easier way to get a 1/4" pipe threaded fitting into ??

Tags
head plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode