Centerline ignition wire replacement set - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Centerline ignition wire replacement set

I recently purchased an ignition wire set for my 1990 Graduate. The set came from Centerline Alfa and cost $114.00. I also bought a new Bosch distributor cap with exactly the same part number as what was on the cap that I am replacing. When I tried to install the new ignition wires on the the new cap I had the frustrating experience of not being able to get the spark plug end of the ignition wires to bottom out in the distributor. I put some dielectric lubricant on the end but that didn't help at all. I think the new ignition wires were slightly bigger around than the original Bosch wires that I am replacing (I wasn't able to document this).

I called Centerline to see if they might have had this complaint before. They said no (and couldn't or wouldn't believe me when I said the new ones didn't fit my distributor cap. Has any of you had this experience? The old Bosch wires (partially eaten through by rodents) just snap right in with a good tight fit (very reassuring).

Have any of you purchased an ignition wire set that you considered a very good product?

I shipped the Centerline product back to them ($25 shipping, my cost) and am hoping to see a reimbursement (they were not at all eager to take the product back.)

Thanks for your comments,

Spud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM

This has happened to me also....
Sometimes Centerline sells parts that are very poor quality or wrong for the listed car. And they refused to admit a problem on some of my orders too.....
John Norman in Berkely or Classic Alfa in England do a much better job !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM

alfaholics and CA sell decent leads:
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...set-spider-s4/
https://classicalfa.com/products.php...RIES-4-SPIDERS

the Beck Arnley 175-6151 look a decent alternative, cheap for you guys in the US (about 55$)
see here for a photo of them fitted
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6502369-post15.html

to fit the lead tidy on the cam cover, leads need to be 7mm, as original.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:15 PM

I've had good luck with Kingsborne ignition wires. They're Alfa sets are cut to length, are of great quality, and are reasonably priced. They're located in San Marcos, California.

Kingsborne Wire Werks Inc - Spark plug wires, Automotive, RV, Motorcycle, Marine, Racing, Industry

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Well, that's odd. The second post didn't show up while I was on the site. Never had that happen before. At least I don't think I have . . .

Do you know if Kingsborne can make wires that fit the MSD distributor's oem specific mountings? I think Kingsborne's wires might be better quality for a lot less money.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 07-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Supporting Vendor

We are currently investigating the issue the OP is having but we won't be able to make any determinations until we receive the wire set back. Historically, this part has been very trouble free and we have used the same manufacturer for quite some time.

FYI - these wire sets are made for us here in the US from German wire and connectors. So while there may be an issue with tolerances somewhere, they are definitely not a cheap or poor quality part.

I will update the thread when we know more.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode