105 Engine Rebuild Question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

105 Engine Rebuild Question

I am soon to be rebuilding a 1964 105 Guilia Spider motor with 120K miles. The engine is out of the car. Maintenance history is unknown other than that the oil and filter were changed on a regular basis. The owner says that the car ran well, did not smoke, but could not remember what the oil pressure was while running. Assuming a compression check yields good numbers, and no other issues arise once the head is removed, is a valve job all that needs doing? What about timing chains, water pump? Plan to replace main crank seals. Or, with that many miles and no history, should the bottom end be disassembled, measured and new bearings installed? Any suggestions/advice/questions much appreciated. Thanks.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 PM
I would say that with 120k miles on it, the motor deserves some love. Main and rod bearings are cheap. Rings as well. Might want to think about rebuilding/replacing the oil pump. Replace the water pump. Check the ring gear wear on the flywheel...

As an aside, you should rebuild the steering box - easy to do with the motor out.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, gprocket. Appreciate your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Lower timing chain, always always replace. They wear, stretch, and you can't get to them once the engine's assembled. Yeah, at that mileage I'd presume to do all the wear parts as a matter of course. If the engine's been sitting, water pump is probably toast. Measure and inspect the crank, or if you're not qualified have someone do it. Probably needs grinding or at least polishing, but if it's OK as is, you don't want to cut needlessly. Flywheel, don't surface unless it needs it.

Head will need inspecting and probably some work. There are a lot of fiddly details specific to an Alfa (liner seating, e.g.), just like any engine. Having someone around who knows them can be a big help.

Andrew
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Andrew. One other question. It's been eleven years or so since I've removed a crankshaft pulley. Are the threads rightsy-tightsy/leftsy-loosy, or the other way round. Bone head question, I know, but I just don't remember (must be an age thing).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Normal threads. Might be a lock tab, might be Loctite, might be very tight.
Andrew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 PM

I would remove the plugs from the crank and give it a proper cleaning.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Appreciate the info and suggestions. I am actually looking forward to this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode