• 1 Post By AlfaTechMD
  • 1 Post By AlfaTechMD
  • 1 Post By Milanoguy
  • 1 Post By AlfaTechMD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Verde Rebuild Thread

I have my other build thread for the entire car over in this link
( http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mila...storation.html )
But this is my first engine rebuild on an Alfa and I have a ton of questions. I figured I'd make an engine thread so I can get specific questions narrowed down.

Long story short, the car has been slowly getting restored and modified over the last 4 years. It was started up about every year in between so maybe the prOblem started because of the sitting. The engine and transaxle are the only things that haven't been rebuilt, though all maintence has been taken care of.

So anywaaaaaaayyyys....
I got my car up and running, it ran awesome, for a week. Then I got the puffy white smoke clouds. Coolant disappeared and oil was green and slimey so that only means one of two things...
Head gaskets or piston liner seals.

Here she is in running condition. (Will post videos later) along with other updates.

stefmiesterb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

You're supposed to retorque the head bolts at 500 miles. So drain the oil and coolant and retorque the heads. If you're concerned that the piston liner O-Rings are leaking, then remove the lower oil sump and refill the cooling system, with coolant and a UV dye.

Then pressurize the cooling system with a pump and look for a leak with the UV flashlight.

Hope this helps.
IanB likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
You're supposed to retorque the head bolts at 500 miles. So drain the oil and coolant and retorque the heads. If you're concerned that the piston liner O-Rings are leaking, then remove the lower oil sump and refill the cooling system, with coolant and a UV dye.

Then pressurize the cooling system with a pump and look for a leak with the UV flashlight.

Hope this helps.
The cooling system pressure test was already on the to do list But i found the middle cylinders on each side, you could spin the liners by hand. I didn't go further with pressurizing because of this. I didn't try and see if they would pull up, but they will rotate. The outer other 4 cylinders are tight as can be. That's why I had mentioned if the liner seals were bad.

As for the heads, about 3 years ago when I did all the maintenance (timing belt, w.p., etc), we had retorqued the heads then per spec, BUT the car wasn't physically driven up until recently of this year. From the car sitting all that time I feel like it was just time for an overhaul anyways. ive already got the engine completely tore down except for the bottom end. I'll get some pictures posted up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Will it look something like this ...

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

I'll start from here because I have the previous disassembly pictures posted in my other thread and they're not important here anyways.
So engine out

Made some marks

Valve covers off

Pretty pumped about this. Digging around in an old box of parts and found a brand new tensioner to replace my old broken one.

The headers were a little banged up so they are getting recoated

One cylinder head off
Old gasket is crap.
Found middle liner that spin freely by hand
Coolant in one cylinder

Other head off
Found middle liner on this side also spins freely
Coolant in one cylinder
Gasket on this side also crap
Made quick hold down tools. Since I plan to do completely tear down, I decided to go quick and cheap by making them out of plastic pvc instead of metal tubes

Bad spot in the gasket

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

As you can tell I don't have much of a "garage" and I've only lived in this house for a year or so .
Just have to work with what I got... outside in the dirt.
Anyways, engine on the stand finally. Degreased it down, tooknit apart a little more...

Drained some more milk out

Dropped the oil pan off and continued cleaning

IanB likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Great thread, keep up with the rebuild !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I've had my S block sitting here for a couple years now.

Is it possible or even worth it to upgrade to S pistons?

My liners and pistons have to come out for rebuild and I figured I'd throw that question out there. So my understanding everyone has tested mostly swapping the whole S block over, doing the whole conversion, etc to use the 164 block in a RWD chassis
would the piston liners be different in diameter? Or since they are both 3.0 blocks they have the same?
I just want to know about if it's possible or even worthy doing just by simply swapping the S pistons into my Verde block. I've looked through a lot of info including all the major 164 engine conversion threads about this topic but nothing quite the answer I'm looking for.
Maybe there's no significant difference, but i have 2 engines side by side looking for the best gain for my rebuild and had to ask.

Here's my S block already strapped to my old engine stand so I figure why the hell not?

Thanks for any information

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Piston liners are the same only the pistons are different

The piston liners in a 164S block are the same liners in a 3.0 Verde block or a 164L block. Only the pistons are different. So move just the S pistons over to your existing liners, or move the complete piston and liner set. Measure the liners for wear and ovality, hone them and install Hastings brand piston rings.

Bye
IanB likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
The piston liners in a 164S block are the same liners in a 3.0 Verde block or a 164L block. Only the pistons are different. So move just the S pistons over to your existing liners, or move the complete piston and liner set. Measure the liners for wear and ovality, hone them and install Hastings brand piston rings.

Bye
Awesome. Thank you for that. I pretty much figured they were the same but just making sure and that was the answer I was exactly looking for!
IanB likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Recommendations for a good shop on the east coast to do some machine work on my cylinder heads.

I plan on doing new valves, valve seat job, guides, and a couple other things.

I am 2.5 hours from Difatta Brothers for reference, if anyone knows anywhere within the area.

Also, I'll ship the cylinder heads if I have to.

There's 2 local machine shops but most of them specialize in v8's and American vehicles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode