1Likes
  • 1 Post By r-mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

Ignition timing

Hello follow Alfisti,

I am trying to adjust the Ignition timing as i just installed an electronic ignition, but I cannot see any marks on the pulley, neither on the engine block.

Are the marks on the alternator side or on the distributor side ?

From the Alternator side, vision is very restricted and I do not see how you can point a timing gun on to the pulley as there is the alternator and belt in the way, and on the distributor side, i am not see any marks !

Also, between the pulley and fan shroud, there isn't space to put a wrench to turn the engine, how can it be done ?

Car is a Euro GTV 2L 1971 on carbs

Thanks

1971 - 2000 GT Veloce Euro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 PM

The pulley marks are very feint. You probably need to look at the pulley from underneath to find them and mark them with liquid paper or similar.

The pulley needs to be very clean to see the marks - use some emery paper or steel wool to lightly polish the edges, and they should show up. A good light will help.

If you're having trouble turning the engine, you can put it in gear and rock/push the car forward to rotate the engine a quarter turn or so at a time, to both clean and locate marks. It doesn't take much. Plugs out will also help. In fact that might be enough to let you turn the engine using the fan belt. Painful process, but you should only have to do it the once to find and paint the marks.

The pointer is on the alternator side. It looks like a metal triangle with a tip pointing forwards to the pulley edge. It is attached to the water pump at about the 4 o'clock position, looking from the front. Yes, it is very hard to see from the top, especially if everything is dirty. You have to get the viewing angle just right, but you can see it.

Once everything is clean, and your marks are highlighted, you should be OK.

Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

You can get close by finding TDC on 1 or 4, look down the plug hole or put some kind of pointer in, bring the crank around til the pointer is at apogee. The P mark on the pulley should be pretty close to the timing pointer.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Ive found putting the car in gear and rotating one wheel the easiest way to handle this. Setting timing on the Alfa really makes me miss the Porsche...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaVinci likes this.

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
eas
Gold Subscriber

The engine isn't at all clean. Most probably it has layers upon layers of the black oily stuff since 1971.

I will remove the radiator and fan/shroud to have better access for some de-greaser cleaning and finally timing it by the book.

In the mean time I have rotated the distributor roughly to how it was before using pics I took before disassembly. In my opinion, timing came a little advance as the car is pulling like a train now (no signs of knock/pre-ignition pinging). Not sure if its related to the new revamp of all the ignition system , 98 Octane fuel or the advance timing, or all together. The car idles at 950 ish rpm.

1971 - 2000 GT Veloce Euro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode