Spider radiators - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
It will be next summer before I find out how good it is. My stock radiator is fine in fall through spring.
It might be next summer before my car is finished anyway, at the rate I'm going.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:26 PM

Hello

The S4 radiator is significantly different than the earlier models, and the sheet metal attachment points are completely different. It is tilted and the bottom end sits more toward the front of the car as well s having some cooling holes cut in the base. It could be made to fit but a lot of metal work would have to be done.

I have an old IAP aluminum radiator in mine that copies the basic shape and layout of the original radiator, and it does a good job, but I am not not putting out 170 BHP.

I was also looking at some of the Griffin radiators and adapting on of them in. I think it could be done, but there are going to have to be some mods

Kevin

KL Harper
Mebane, NC yes another one from Mebane and it is not that big of a town.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Platinum Subscriber

PM sent

Quote:
My new Wes ingram radiator arrived yesterday, well ahead of schedule. It is a nice piece of kit.

George, Would you mind sending me a PM with your phone number so that I can pick your brain about the installation.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:06 PM

I got this radiator for my 81 Spider. Great for cooling and with a front mounted fan it opened up the engine compartment.
Attached Images

cuorealfa likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM

I forgot to say I got it from Wes Ingram
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

It looks like you did a nice job of the installation. Which top radiator hose are you using?

Also nice to see Webers.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 AM

A hose from the local parts house, it works but not the right one. I had installed a temp sensor from a VW inline on the bottom host to run the fan but the temp range was wrong. I connected the fan to the ignition system so the fan comes on with the key. The fan and radiator as well as all my high performance parts came from Wes Ingram. With the cams, pistons, valves and 45 DCOE's we figure around 185 HP. I just got back from from the Ozarks where I put 700 miles on the engine and it ran perfectly.
Attached Images

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I installed the new radiator today. My old SPAL fan fit perfectly. I struggled with a couple of potential top hoses before I bought a Dayco Flexible radiator hose, part number 81041. I cut it to length and removed a length of steel spiral wire so that it would seal properly at the cut end. I have not yet wired up the fan control or started on the oil cooler hook up. Thanks to Conedriver who answered some installation questions.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Oil cooler installation

The Wes Ingram radiator has a built in oil cooler. I decided to run without it but the fan runs a lot in traffic now that the weather has warmed up so I hooked up the cooler today. Pictures show the detail. Space is tight around the hose connections, the water pump and the alternator pulley. I bought a sandwich type adapter on ebay for about $30 and a pair of hoses with AN10 fittings for about $60.
I started the car and let it idle for 15 minutes while I checked for leaks and the temperature gauge settled at 180 and the fan did not cut in, so the oil cooler is doing it's job. The true test will be in July when the ambient temp is around 100 degrees.
Attached Images

cuorealfa and IanB like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM

Recoring stock radiator is a possibility - maybe get more tubes and higher efficiency. Giulietta radiator recore, plus a few minor repairs, cost me just under $500
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
The Wes Ingram radiator has a built in oil cooler. I decided to run without it but the fan runs a lot in traffic now that the weather has warmed up so I hooked up the cooler today. Pictures show the detail. Space is tight around the hose connections, the water pump and the alternator pulley. I bought a sandwich type adapter on ebay for about $30 and a pair of hoses with AN10 fittings for about $60.
I started the car and let it idle for 15 minutes while I checked for leaks and the temperature gauge settled at 180 and the fan did not cut in, so the oil cooler is doing it's job. The true test will be in July when the ambient temp is around 100 degrees.
I have a radiator that is essentially identical to the Wes Ingram radiator, but didn't come from him. With the oil cooler hooked up, temps stayed rock solid even driving on the track in 90+ temps and a turbo dumping extra heat in. With an electric fan, it also keeps temps very reasonable sitting in traffic in similar temps. They are a great solution.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Don't copy my routing of the hoses to the radiator! The stainless braid is abrasive and will make a hole in the aluminum fins if they come into contact. Loop the hoses towards the fender rather than behind the radiator.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Garage
@Alfajay

I honestly have never been a fan...(excuse the pun) of aluminum rads. Good multirow brass and separate oil cooler, unless your really weight conscious.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM

FWIW, the best place for a fan temperature sensor is the upper radiator hose, or the input to the top of the radiator. This will turn on the fan whenever the thermostat opens and sends hot water into the radiator. Fan will go off when the thermostat closes.

Robert
Tom Frasca likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode