Cam Cap Oil Flow - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Question Cam Cap Oil Flow

I have a pro-shop rebuilt head in a '77 Spider. Upon assembly and running the car there is a significant amount of what I would call 'squeeking' coming, I believe, from the cam cap area, in spite of being lubed up nicely preassembly. I have removed one of the cam caps to repair a stripped thread that holds the cam cover stud and in the process was introduced to the geometry of the system, with the cam caps being held in place by two undersized studs with short tubes running up the interface between the head and the cam cap to hold the caps in place. I am supposing the undersized studs allow oil to flow up the holes in the head to the top of the cam cap bolt, but where to from there?

My question is... how are the cam caps oiled in this arrangement? My short tubes were quite firmly in place in the head, is this OK? Is there a modification one can make to the cap to improve the oilflow? (drill tiny holes from the inside of the cap to the stud holes?) I want to stop the squeeking!!!

PS - I think the shop did a reasonable job, and in the process of dissassembling and re-assembling the head stamped the cam caps with numbers to identify them, so I presume they are all in the correct location.

I appologize if this is covered in a previous post, but I can't find it if it is.

Ian Mac
'73 Spider - Rebuilding Engine

Last edited by ianmac; 05-25-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

The cam journals are pressure fed via an oil hole at the bottom of each cam journal. The cam cap studs' sole purpose is to retain the cam caps.
Thoughts on the squeeking;
cam caps not in the proper location or orientation
insufficient lubrication
cam cover retaining stud(s) too long
incorrect cam caps

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Oil holes plugged?

I wonder if the grease that was used to lube the system has plugged the holes in the bottom of the cam journals? It was that really thick red stuff that machinists love to use.

Ian Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Or maybe the lobes squeaking/scraping on the cam followers. They receive their lube oil as the overflow out from the pressurized cam bearings, and so if nothing was getting to the bearings, nothing was leaking from them and getting to the followers. Were the galleries there somewhat full of oil? They ought to be approx half full.

Andrew
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Yup, they are about half full, as expected. I'm going to try a stethescope and see if I can locate the sound more precisely.

Ian Mac
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Squeek?

The cams & caps are not going to squeek. If the surface of a cam follower is that bad it should have jumped put at you and even then I can`t say I heard one squeek.
I would think that damage done during assembly/disassembly or either a keeper loose and about to come off-out which will be a real problem. I would not start it again till the cams & cam followers are out to verify. Better safe than broken...

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
han

PS - I think the shop did a reasonable job, and in the process of dissassembling and re-assembling the head stamped the cam caps with numbers to identify them, so I presume they are all in the correct location.

every cam cap is stamped with a number org from the faktory.

the caps and studs can handle 13 mm lift lobs, the problem is not too thoque them more than org and you find out very ezie because you pull the threats off, thoque is 14.2 / 16.3 Lb ft.

the caps are numberd 1 is front off engine inlet ten too the back and from back too front on exaused side ending with 6 on the front off the engine on the exaused side.

caps are only useable for the head it was made for, if you take ather you need too line bore the caps.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
To tight of a cam cap will cause galling on the inside of the cap due to the lack of lubrication. The cap will be squeezed against the cam closing up the tolerance. The later 80's cam shafts had the front cam journals turned with a groove to improve oiling in this area.
Your squeeking is coming from another area. Might be the alternator bearing? Or a water pump bearing that has gone dry?
Han is correct, you can not swap caps from another head because they are line bored as a set to the head at the factory.
Keep searching, the sound will manifest itself if you use a rubber hose as a stethescope.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM

You might need to check the chain tensioner. It is fed oil from the chain as it rotates, and if the lube holes to the bearing are clogged or the bearing is worn.... Good luck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
roy

squeek

Sounds like the rubbing block on the points needs lube . Been there , done that .
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

No Point(s)

I just picked up a mechanics stethescope on the weekend which should help locate this problem. I'm pretty sure that it's not my points, since they are sitting in a box under my workbench and have been since I installed an electronic, pointless (or is it point-free?) ignition.

Ian Mac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode