My 145 QV is running terrible...HELP! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Question My 145 QV is running terrible...HELP!

I wonder if someone could help me. I have a 145 QV 1998 model which I bought crashed damaged. I repaired the light damage and got it back to it's former glory. When it was back on the road (a year later) I noticed the engine was surging when it was cold. This would not happen straight away but maybe a few minutes into the running of the engine. This was not a problem if I drove straight off but more if it was sitting idleing for a while on a cold morning. To be honest with you it has been getting better and I had assumed it was something a little tight after sitting for so long.....here it comes..BUT!!!! yesterday I was doing a little running around and seen an oppurtunity to open her up a little so I did just that and got a nasty surprise when the car seemed to die a death and come back again (I must addmit I may have hit the redline limiter) which i found very unusal. I don't make it a habbit to redline the car and can't be sure that i actually did but it was as if the limiter had kicked in and stayed in if you know what I mean. Then i noticed a red light on my dash...it was a picture of, what appeared to be an injector with a spray pattern. As you could imagine i was gutted when i saw this but not as gutted as i was when i came back to start the car and found it wouldn't. It would turn over and fire but a split second after firing it was stalling.. in fact it was so quick the rev counter didn't have time to react. I checked all the fuses including the few in the engine bay, they where okay. I decided to disconnect the battery incase the ecu had a hickup. upon reconnection of the battery the car eventually started but it is surging reaaly bad now..from about 500rpm to 2000 rpm and is missfiring also. the injector light is still lit on the dash aswell. I hope some one has a sollution to my dillema and please accept my thanks before hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 AM

Start off with the common Alfa trouble spots. Check all your hoses for leaks, clean any earth points you can find, and if that doesn't work, then possibly you may be looking at a thermo switch or something turning on a cold-start injector? Maybe it's the "engine check" light pointing out some obscure problem? Unfortunately without knowing what the little light is indicating, it's pretty difficult to diagnose...
Actually, as a thought, does the EFI setup use a stepper motor-controlled idle control valve? Maybe it's stuck open/closed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Cheers

Cheers evilgidget, my brothers garage franchise has just changed to FIAT so we plugged my motor in to his computer and it said i need a new air flow meter...you don't know of an online store that sells such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 PM

AFM faulty? that's not very common... What sort of injection system is in the car? Any brand/part numbers on the AFM? I'll keep my eye out for one. Where are you located?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

145 QV problems

newcastle upon tyne, the system is bosch and i believe it is actually a mass air flow meter...not sure on the part number but its on a 98 modelif thats any help...thanx for all your help wor lad.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Maf

this is a pic of the offending creature
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 AM

Yes, it's a Hot Film air-mas meter (MAF) Bosch type HFM 5

Bosch part No. 0 280 218 019
Alfa part No. 4654 1253

Found in the following Alfa's
Spider
GTV

I'm guessing around the 2.0l models.

I don't know what other vehicles it's fitted to but Bosch made fewer models of the MAF than they did AFM's .

Since you can get your computer checked again, try cleaning it with carbi cleaner and also clean the connections then get it checked again.

Hope this helps,

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Wink !45 QV trouble

Cheers for that I'll check it out...could you tell me where the ECU is as it does not appesr to ne in the engine bay....not unelse I'm blind like.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 10:48 AM

This is the only info I have:
Attached Images

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
&
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 PM

You may want to look at this thread...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=8399
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Cheers will do.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Ureka

Cheers for the help...replaced the MAF sensor a few days ago... she's running great now.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:52 AM

Good stuff. What sort of $$$ did it end up setting you back? I heard on a german site that they are a common fault & can cost many hunderd euros to replace...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it's 160 from alfa and 280 from bosch themselves (go figure). But I got mine from 24/7 salvage off the net and it cost me 52....it wasn't new of course but who cares at less than a third of the price eh.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 AM

watsup ppl

i had the exact same problem with my car (alfa 145 cloverleaf)
and yeah it was the afm.
got it replaced here in south africa, only cost me R900.00 ($150.00)
now she runs like a dream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode