Crank angle triggers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to P.Webb Send a message via MSN to P.Webb Send a message via Yahoo to P.Webb
Crank angle triggers

Ok, so I was playing with the Ford 36-1 wheel and coming up with another crazy scheme. There was a recent thread on the MSEFI list about putting dowels or holes in the flywheel to sense crank angle. Then it hit me. Why not machine grooves or drill holes in the stock pulley to turn it into a wheel instead of trying to retro-fit a Ford wheel onto a pulley obviously not intended for it.

So I figured there are a few ways to do this. This is a Milano 3.0 pulley. The GTV6 pulley is definitely different because of the A/C and power steering.

1) Drill holes in the large harmonic balancer part of the pulley. 35 1/4" holes and a 3/4" hole @ TDC where the missing tooth is.

2) Machine the 35 star teeth into the harmonic balancer

3) Machine the star teeth into the rear slot of the pulley where the rear most V-belt groove is. For us 3.0 owners, the block is already drilled and tapped for the VRS because of the 164 ML4.1

The whole thing would need to be balanced but no big deal. Crank angle would be really easy once you get past the wheel problem.

Anyone have good pictures of a Milano 3.0, Milano 2.5 and GTV6 pulley so I can see in detail which options would work or be easiest?

Anyone have a reason why this wouldnt work?

Just brainstorming here...

-Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 PM

I have 3 steel allen bolts in the flywheel. So that's one possibility, but it's not easy accessing the flywheel while the engine is in the car. Highly NOT recommended if you need 36 raised tooth. So the pulley is your best bet.

If you go to go to www.oldebottles.com, on one of the pages you can see another 3.0 running Autronic but the toothed setup is on the pulley and not the flywheel. Looks like he fabricated some sort of extra wheel mounted on the pulley.

Why not machine your own disc and press on to the pulley like the setup on most 60-2 (motronic) cars. Except that now you have 36 teeth. It shouldn't be too tough to machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode