Clicking Exhaust Valve - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocduff
I have all the tools and I've never screwed up a job yet - but it looks like I will need the shop manual. I think it's time to break down and buy the cardisc manual.
You weren't seriously going to do this without a manual were you?

Especially when you can download them from my site (see sig).

I've put a lot of time and effort making these available and there are plenty of posts telling people where they are but people seem to think it's a big secret or something.

Anyway, go to my site and help yourself.

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Craig -

Thanks. It looks like the Alfa 90 instructions will suit my needs, no?

-Owen
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM

Nope, Alfa 75 Group 01

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 AM

I have the Haynes manual and it is ok for most things, but If you are really interested in enjoying the fun of messing with Alfa mechanicals I highly recommend you get the Alfa Bible by Pat Braden. I have learned so much since I got that book. It has a very detailed section on setting valve clearances, and if needed camshaft timing. It also has the best detailed descripton on the SPICA FI I have yet encountered. If you only purchase a single alfa book, this is the one to get! I wish I had known about this book 10 years ago.

Best Regards,
John

John Reinschmidt

77 Spider, Austin Tx
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Just as a followup, I changed to 10W30 from 20w50 this fall (which I think is a horrible idea now, except in extrememly hot climates). There is no more clicking valve at all.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Hmmm...

While going to a 10W/30 might have solved your valve noise, IMO it's just too thin for an Alfa motor that regularly sees high revs. Did you switch brands as well?

Joe
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm using regular Castrol 10w30 for winter use - I'm not using the car that much this winter - only on dry unsalty roads, nor am I revving it high, at all. IMO 20w50 is not an option for winter, or colder weather simply because my car wouldn't idle when cold and the valves seemed noisy - I changed to the thinner oil and the clicking is gone and the car idles beautifully (I've found similar responses on this forum with thicker oils causing idling problems in cold weather). I'll go back to something thicker in March, most likely Castrol 10w40 and possibly 20w50 in the dead heat of summer. And I'm assuming the valve noise was caused by the Castrol 20w50 and cold weather, and I was posting just to follow up this thread for those with similar complaints. Some may still stick by 20w50 (for good reason), though it is not something I would recommend, except in 50 degree plus weather and those driving beyond normal driving conditions. Recommenders left that crucial part out, I think. Of course - my valve adjustment may need to be checked just for the heck of it, but my point is that the clicking has stopped just by switching oils, and the clicking was my original complaint. All other variables remained the same. Thanks.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi ocduff,

A question, did your valve noise elimination continue after some miles on the lighter weight oil?. I also have a '91 spider with some noise, so have followed this thread.

Did you ever mesaure the valve clearances on your engine?. This is pretty easy, and doesn't require any re-adjustment after measuring. Don't be discouraged by some of the responses you got... we're all at different levels of expertise and the BB is a great way to learn more. However, a good manual is a must before digging into valve and/or camshaft work.

FWIW, I tightened the clearances on my '91 to .016 in. exhaust / .014 in. intake, and this helped. A friend who races an '84 Spider in SCCA class ITB runs his clearances at .012 exhaust and .010 intake. This seems REALLY tight, but he points out that clearances increase as the aluminum engine parts warm up. He also has a couple of S4 Spiders as daily drivers and I need to ask what clearances he uses on these. I will let you know when I get a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocduff
.....Of course - my valve adjustment may need to be checked just for the heck of it, but my point is that the clicking has stopped just by switching oils, and the clicking was my original complaint. All other variables remained the same. Thanks.
Regards,

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to acurtiss Send a message via Skype™ to acurtiss
I'm curious about this, and not just because I have the same pesky clicking on my Duetto. Until I read this post, I would have assumed that lighter viscosity oil would increase valve clicking, not reduce it. A heavier weight oil has a greater dampening effect, slows moving parts down, etc., so it seems counter-intuitive to me that the clicking would diminish with the lighter oil. (This is the theory behind using heavier weight tranny oil for noisy old trannies, right?)

Is it possible that the noise was something else, like the oil pump (??), that isn't working as hard to do its job with the 10-30w? Or does the thicker oil just not make it up to the 'clicking' parts?

A related but less interesting question: has anyone found a source for the hex wrench (14mm, I think) to fit the cam cover bolts?

1962 Giulia Sprint 1600, 1967 Giulia Super
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Platinum Subscriber

acurtis,

It didn't sound right to me, for the same reason you mentioned. After reducing valve clearances, my S4 spider still has some valve train noise, so I may reset the clearances just a slight bit tighter. Maybe .014 / .012 as reported in an earlier thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtiss
I'm curious about this, and not just because I have the same pesky clicking on my Duetto. Until I read this post, I would have assumed that lighter viscosity oil would increase valve clicking, not reduce it. A heavier weight oil has a greater dampening effect, slows moving parts down, etc., so it seems counter-intuitive to me that the clicking would diminish with the lighter oil. (This is the theory behind using heavier weight tranny oil for noisy old trannies, right?)

Is it possible that the noise was something else, like the oil pump (??), that isn't working as hard to do its job with the 10-30w? Or does the thicker oil just not make it up to the 'clicking' parts?

A related but less interesting question: has anyone found a source for the hex wrench (14mm, I think) to fit the cam cover bolts?
If you can't find a 14mm allen wrench, a 9/16 is only .011 in. larger. I ground a 9/15 size to 14 mm many years ago, and it works fine.

Regards,

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 03-16-2005 at 07:07 AM.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 PM

Do not us the 10-40W that is crap oil. the the oil to polomer is bad there is very littel oil in 10-40W

If the Oil PSI is up with the 10-30W that should be ok. But I would say use a syn oil in the cold they have a larger range. I have used the moble1 0-40W and it seem to do very well in the cold and the hot. it seemed to work beter then the 20-50W as I had more psi when hot.
if staying with normal oil go from 10-30W to 15-somthing and skip 10-40W.
keep a eye on the psi while runing 10-30W if it is droping after it gets warm use syn oil or thicker oil. dont wast the motor just to keep it quiet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode