Unexpected AND PLEASANT Surprise! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Curmudgeon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Unexpected AND PLEASANT Surprise!

My Spider has some sort of electronic ignition that the PO said was purchased from Centerline. I haven't seen anything like it and Centerline doesn't currently sell whatever it is. With points I know to set initial timing with the engine off and at "F" mark, ignition energized, then rotate the distributor while checking for spark. I didn't know whether it would work with an electronic ignition. To my pleasant surprise it worked! Since it probably works with other electronic ignitions this may be a good thing to "keep in your back pocket" for your next ignition timing challenge.

Curmudgeon
"A pessimist ain't nothing but an optimist with a lot of life experience."
1984 GTV6 in AR 530 "Rosso".
1974 Spider in 1997-2003 Ferrari "Rosso Corsa" (hey, it's what it was wearing when I bought it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Can you post a picture of the dizzy?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

If these are adequate to identify it, great. Otherwise I'll have to pull the distributor again. I think the distributor body is stock, that the electronic thing just replaced the points. In the meantime, OTTNP- On To The Next Problem: it only starts if I pull the CSS lead. Paraphrasing the late Roseanne Roseannadanna (from SNL) "It's always something."
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.

Curmudgeon
1974 Spider in 1997-2003 Ferrari "Rosso Corsa" (hey, it's what it was wearing when I bought it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I have seen those things before, I just can't remember as it's been more than 20 years. Isn't that a Bosch distributor? Marelli distributors were stock on US spec cars.

If you pull the dizzy, take some more pictures. It's possible that is a VW distributor. I'd like to see the Bosch part number.

Brian __________________________________

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

At least it's easy to remove while the air box is still out, and far easier to re-install correctly than an early-1960s Chevy that I worked on decades ago. Straight six with a distributor driven by a hex shaft. The distributor could be installed correctly timed one way and incorrectly five ways!
Attached Images

Curmudgeon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode