Garage
hmmm.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
They're notorious for leaky anti-drainback valves. There's been at least one guy on the BB who had a cold-start rattle from low oil pressure that was fixed by switching to a different filter. That sure ain't good for your engine.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 PM

Garage
We had a similar thread maybe about ten years ago with pretty much the same results, but was a photo essay rather than a video. Had a bunch of guys respond they'd used Fram for years without problems. But it's not like there's a heckuva lot of price difference between brands, so why would anyone, knowing what's inside the can, choose to continue buying Fram?

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
The engine in my Spider was destroyed when the gasket of the Fram filter blew out while my daughter was driving it.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Same thing on numerous Jeep forums. Fram comes apart inside, anti-drainback valve fails, folks complain of sudden low oil pressure after doing an oil and filter change using Fram. Swap to another filter and all is well.

They mighta been good in the olden days, but not any more. For cars anyway.

F.R.A.M. means Forever Ruining Auto Motors.

Fram filters do have their place.
Attached Images

alfaromeoblack and Tom Frasca like this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Funny, this same thing popped up on Facebook. I find it all too funny that you see these things proudly displayed on a beautiful Ferrari engine. I don't get this. So many better filters out there and they putt these on their cars.

Brian __________________________________

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 AM

Garage
Pretty sad when the best feature on an oil filter is on the OUTSIDE.........
alfaromeoblack likes this.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
So what is everyone else using? I use System 1 reusable oil filters in all my Alfa’s. Take them apart, clean, reassemble and use again.
alfaromeoblack likes this.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
I use Wix on everything.

Napa is Wix. Their number 1085 fits both my Alfas and both my Jeeps.
alfaparticle likes this.

Last edited by slowcreek; 06-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.
Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post

WOW WOW I used Fran for years, but in the last few years I have been using WIX filters from O Reilly for my cars. They at the right price! I will never use Fran again! Thanks for send us the video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcreek View Post
Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.
Of course I watched the video. Fram's had a bad rep for many years. Have Ferarri owners stopped changing filters-or do they use Wix filters painted orange?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in