Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/)
-   -   Beware the filter (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/680934-beware-filter.html)

Tom Frasca 06-04-2019 05:40 PM

Beware the filter

WOW!

Tom Frasca 06-04-2019 05:49 PM

hmmm.

ghnl 06-04-2019 05:53 PM

Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).

Gubi 06-04-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghnl (Post 8421498)
But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).

They're notorious for leaky anti-drainback valves. There's been at least one guy on the BB who had a cold-start rattle from low oil pressure that was fixed by switching to a different filter. That sure ain't good for your engine.

Farace 06-04-2019 08:12 PM

We had a similar thread maybe about ten years ago with pretty much the same results, but was a photo essay rather than a video. Had a bunch of guys respond they'd used Fram for years without problems. But it's not like there's a heckuva lot of price difference between brands, so why would anyone, knowing what's inside the can, choose to continue buying Fram?

alfaparticle 06-04-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
The engine in my Spider was destroyed when the gasket of the Fram filter blew out while my daughter was driving it.

slowcreek 06-04-2019 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Same thing on numerous Jeep forums. Fram comes apart inside, anti-drainback valve fails, folks complain of sudden low oil pressure after doing an oil and filter change using Fram. Swap to another filter and all is well.

They mighta been good in the olden days, but not any more. For cars anyway.

F.R.A.M. means Forever Ruining Auto Motors.

Fram filters do have their place.

ossodiseppia 06-05-2019 05:06 AM

Funny, this same thing popped up on Facebook. I find it all too funny that you see these things proudly displayed on a beautiful Ferrari engine. I don't get this. So many better filters out there and they putt these on their cars.

slowcreek 06-05-2019 05:37 AM

Pretty sad when the best feature on an oil filter is on the OUTSIDE.........

classicalfas 06-05-2019 07:11 AM

So what is everyone else using? I use System 1 reusable oil filters in all my Alfa’s. Take them apart, clean, reassemble and use again.

slowcreek 06-05-2019 07:38 PM

I use Wix on everything.

Napa is Wix. Their number 1085 fits both my Alfas and both my Jeeps.

Chas H 06-05-2019 08:25 PM

Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.

slowcreek 06-05-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas H (Post 8421948)
Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.

Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.

alfaromeoblack 06-05-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 8421490)

WOW WOW I used Fran for years, but in the last few years I have been using WIX filters from O Reilly for my cars. They at the right price! I will never use Fran again! Thanks for send us the video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chas H 06-05-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcreek (Post 8421952)
Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.

Of course I watched the video. Fram's had a bad rep for many years. Have Ferarri owners stopped changing filters-or do they use Wix filters painted orange?