Beware the filter - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM

A strip of 220 grit sand paper held in the hand works as well as the grip strip on a fram-use the gritty side towards the filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

True, but when you are snaking your hand in past steering pumps and racks, hoses, exhaust manifolds, whatever, it can be difficult to hold onto the sandpaper at the same time you are trying to find the filter by feel in cars such as the 164, and even the Milano.

BTW, using the small 24V engine filter makes it easy to install or pull the Milano filter past things without having to remove anything. Down it goes, and up it comes. Simple compared to the 164, esp the later 24v version.

I may just glue a strip of such sandpaper onto the new filter before installing it. Will come in handy when properly installing the filter hand tight.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-07-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
If Fram is such garbage, how are they still in business?
samtheagent likes this.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Thatís a good point, letís all get together at MacDonaldís, KFC or taco bell and discuss it over something nutritious
Capp and Ranz like this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
"There's a sucker born every minute." Still true, always has been true, always will be true.

Marketing and reputation can sell ANYTHING.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 AM

Garage
Quote:

Simple. Marketing. To folks who aren't enthusiasts.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage
I am a fool too some times when it comes to brand loyalty. As I stated in an earlier post, I started using WIX do to the cost and after speaking to the O Riley clerk. He said at a meeting they did a comparison and WIX was the better product! After watching that video and seeing the construction of the filter housing and the length of the filter papers for all of the brands why would any on buy Fran. On top of all that it was stored so long and the metal to make the Fran filter housing must be super low grade.
As most of use on this form we are older gentleman we are seeing quality slipping away (it is good enough) for the all mighty greed!!!
Enough ranting --- more driving our high quality Alfa's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Quote:
Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
The engine in my Spider was destroyed when the gasket of the Fram filter blew out while my daughter was driving it.
There it is! Have not used Fram for years, after reading posts on this board. NAPA Gold for me. Thanks for sharing Alfaparticle.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 AM

If you look on YouTube you can see videos that take them apart and show you the inside of multiple filters. Fram is definitely Junk! Here is a link to the,
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:36 AM

Garage
Pretty compelling. I threw out two in the box Fram filters that had been on a shelf in my garage after seeing this.

Thanks.

Dean
1974 2000 GTV / 1976 Giulia Nuova Super 2.0 / 1965 TR4
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmericas View Post
Pretty compelling. I threw out two in the box Fram filters that had been on a shelf in my garage after seeing this.

Thanks.
Here's the best use for Fram.
Attached Images

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 AM

My Fram story:
I used to sell industrial supplies in the Nashville area. One account was Fluffo mattress company (really). In one room of their huge building, they had pallets of baled waste material. I wondered where that goes?..
Another account, which will remain nameless (because I forgot its name; it wasn't called Fram, but Mid-Tenn Manufacturing or something equally generic) made filters. Lo and behold, there was the end user of Fluffo's pallets of mattress trimmings!

In the "Quality" control room, there were production line (unsealed) samples of the various brand-named filters. Including Fram, Wix and some off-brand generic filters. The Fram were filled with the floor sweepings and assorted detritus from Fluffo. One can would have a handful that would probably do a passable job at filtration. The next had straw, edge binding, and impenetrable plastic waste in the filter path.
The Wix had nice pleated paper fiber filtration media. Their anti-drainback valves were a floppy silicone (read: effective) where Fram was some stiff, cheap plastic/rubber crap.

I switched to Wix. (NAPA is Wix with a different paint job).
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 PM

I've seen the Fram vs whatever videos for a while. I'm pretty convinced that the low end Fram is probably inferior to most other filters. Apparently the high end filter is better, but, also not as good as others (do a google search as I am still 2 posts away from being able to post links).

BTW, back when I lived in the Denver area in the early '80s one of the local Colorado Alfa Club members put together an Alfetta GT to run in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. He was in the top of his class at the mid point of his run when the oil filter gasket blew out and ended his effort. And, you guessed it. A Fram filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in